The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship Theft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starship Theft Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll remember that.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think stealling a star ship whatever it size is possible, not easy but possible.
First you need a crew, an assault board team to neutralize the original crew (some of them could hide after the assault of course), skills in security and repairing star ships ( according to the size of the ship).
After neutralizing the original crew you have to hope that nobody outside de ship be aware of the battle.
If all is ok you have to be allowed to take off.
At this step the ship is at you but... Can you keep it ? The original owner will claim of the robbery.
Coming close to a spaceport will pose some problems...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the transponder.
Get out the can of rust-o'lem spray paint.
Put in better security.
(yeah, i've stolen a few ghtrocs and yt's in my day...)

unless the planet has some kind of planetary shielding that they have to open for you to take off, then getting out of there isn't a problem, hoping your faster than the space patrol. Razz
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
Change the transponder.
Get out the can of rust-o'lem spray paint.
Put in better security.
(yeah, i've stolen a few ghtrocs and yt's in my day...)

unless the planet has some kind of planetary shielding that they have to open for you to take off, then getting out of there isn't a problem, hoping your faster than the space patrol. Razz

Leaving the planet is preaty easy while nobody know you have stolen the ship...
Keeping the ship is harder :
Changing the transponder is not enough. You will never pass a serious custom inspection. Each star ship is register into imperial data base, so you have first to register your ship if you want to use it...
to be able to do that you need several documents like a sale agreement with the older owner including all real data of the ship, the proof you have pay taxes for the deal, a pilot licence for this kind of ship, etc... You need several forged documents !

I think, to steal a ship, you have to find a easily corrupted custom imperial first Smile

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also "Registration Numbers" built into the engines and the framework that need to be swapped as well.

Luckily, due to the age of most freighters, not to mention the amount that Tramp Freighters are heavily modified, having the frame number and engine number not match up aren't that surprising. But they'll also be in a registry.

It won't be checked as much as the Transponder (Think of that as a licence plate), but in a full-on pissed-off Imperial Customs Inspection, it will be. And those numbers would be on the theft report.

Now, the solution. Grab the frame/engine numbers from junked ships of the same class. Register it as a "Salvaged/Repaired" ship. Really good if you have some repaired damage to show for it, too.

Just another bit of info I remembered from various movie tricks.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, stealing ships isn't -that- hard....

Just need a good forgery skill, and a little con if you get caught.

maybe a few good blasters if it all goes south.

and don't forget to get out the spraypaint..
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if the players who steal the ship don't mind living on the run, then they don't have to worry about documents. But, after jumping to Hyperspace a few times when a customs frigate hails you, you may find the Imperials consider the ship a rebel vessel. Good luck finding safe harbor then. Once that happen, the players will be forced to stick to seedier space facilities, the fringe worlds, and places like Mos Eisley, which increases their chances of running afoul of bounty hunters, crime syndicates, or general mayhem.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think they're trying to avoid that sort of thing?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not particularly. Especially if they are stealing starships.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see several way to avoid trouble with the imperial customs :

Before trying to steal a ship, by a wreck with an operate transponder (you will have all documents which prove you own a ship even if it's a wreck). Steal the same model of ship. Replace the transponder. Find a free port or old base station used during old republic area ( close to be abandonned now) where the customs people will be cool. Register your ship as if had been repaired (maybe by giving some money).

Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the part about living on the run, and the imperials after you when you make a few hyp jumps from customs.....

who cares?...

if they're after you, it's obviously time to jack another ship...
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleeing the customs by a jump in hyperspace is not so easy. A blind jump is very dangerous even for only few seconds else customs would be able to only control honnest merchant ship. Your stolen ship will need to be refuelled / upkept after several jumps. Customs will put a bounty on your head.
Going to a starport with customs office will be very hard (you have fleed the customs ships several time). You have to find a shadow port / free port.
It won't be easy to avoid serious trouble. If you are in an out law sector you can keep a low profile while the bounty on your head is low (only new bounty hunter will chase you), but using the main trade routes could be very dangerous if customs make a control with an Interdictor cruiser (always with support vessels / star destroyer)...
Of course Kehlin, you can try to steal a ship of a bounty hunter but be aware that like merchants, bounty hunter have also guilds.

I don't say stealing a ship is impossible. I say you have to prepare carefully how to keep the ship and have obtain all forged documents before to raid the targeted ship otherwise find somewhere to hide Smile

Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by no means am i disagreeing with you.. i've been stealing starships for the last two campaigns...
some of the stuff i do as a joke in the game, but stealing starships is not very hard anymore, when you know what your doing.

though our gm does tend to throw wrenches in all my plans.. we usually just dump off the starships somewhere, take the money and run...

Hutt's always need things to keep their organiations alive... Very Happy

as i said before, i am not disagreeing with you, nor anyone else in these forums.. i am just stating a point...

the transponder change is temporary, untill you dump the ship, it'll keep you safe through atleast one customs hailing... maybe...

the rust-olem spray paint... uhh we done it.... >_>.. painted a Yt-1300 style, with the cockpit between the mandibles, black with red and orange flames.... <_< , what? it was cool... we got an extra 1000cr for the painjob (i think it burnt up the first time they tried to make a hyperspace jump though)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: