The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Generic NPCs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Generic NPCs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
...Ok, I'll try to keep this short, but I'm going to try showing what exactly I am talking about...
Wow! It seems like you will be generating a lot of data that may never be used. Shocked From my experience as a player and a GM, in 10 real world years of play the PCs have never seen an Ewok or a Tusken, the only Jawa encounterd was a PC of mine, we might have met a Mon Cal, I can't recall, and have only ever encountered maybe 4 Wookiees all of which were PCs or had full NPC stats. There are so many planets in the galaxy that our PCs don't often end up on the same ones as the movie characters. I'm not intentionally trying to rain on your parade, but it seems to me your list really needs either to be more limited and generic or more campaign specific otherwise you will do a lot of work that never gets used.

For me, the generic characters tend to be either adversaries e.g. various Imperial troop types, bounty hunters, assassins, and thugs; neutrals e.g. security guards, civilians, and indigenous species; or spear carriers on the PCs side e.g. Rebel troopers, guerillas, Spec Force, pilots, etc. (basically the inverse of the adversaries). We play in the Rebellion period. If we were in another time the adversaries and allies might change but the types would stay the same.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit, I have something of an obsessive compulsive nature. On top of that, I'm something of a completist. As a result, I would rather overplan than not have enough data when the time comes.

While races like Ewoks, Jawas, and Tusken Raiders are pretty limited in their use since they rarely leave their home plannets. Races like Wookiees, Mon Calamari, and Twi'leks are commonly found through out the galaxy and a set of generic stats could be of use to almost anyone.

Many of the characters my players encounter are named NPCs that fill the roll of ally or adversary. However, I like having quick references for things like Bartenders, Mechanics, or Deathstick Dealers. Also, having a list of generic NPCs is a good way to provide a quick character when your players do something unexpected like head for the police station instead of chasing the villan into the sewers.

The desire to do a list of Ewoks is simply because I like the furry little guys, and the desire for Jawas and Tusken Raiders is largely because I plan to run an extended campaign on Tatooine.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
The desire to do a list of Ewoks is simply because I like the furry little guys, and the desire for Jawas and Tusken Raiders is largely because I plan to run an extended campaign on Tatooine.
That makes sense then. And as I mentioned in another thread, there is an easy fix for the fuzzy aspect. http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3429&start=30
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the "fuzzy" aspect surrounding most NPCs, and thats how I handled things in Star Wars from 1993 to 2008, after all, a couple of quick statistics on the fly isnt usually a big deal.

But more recently, I've gained a lot of appreciation for fleshed out generic characters. A complete list of stats helps define the character, making it more real. And it dosnt require as much defining if the NPC becomes more important than you originally planned.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my Runequest days, characters needed to have individual writeups, since anyone could learn virtually any skill and all characters had spells as well as weapon skills. I learned then to use a mix of generic types and detailed characters because it was far too much work (and took up too much space) to create a detailed character sheet for every single NPC and in addition, as long as the NPC looks, sounds, or acts different the players can't really tell that the stats may be mostly the same. Runequest III had some nice sheet listings that differentiated characters from a starting template (I provided simple examples earlier for Tuskens). I find this is easier to work with and takes less space and effort to create and store.

Sounds like you want to have lots of detail ready to hand. If that works for you that's great. For myself, it's a balance. Detail tends to slow down my ability to react as a GM and I reallly don't want to have too much wasted detail. So, except for important/recurring NPCs, I tend to wait to see if the NPC is interesting and survives the encounter before lavishing too much detail on him or her. YMMV. Smile
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the size and scope of this project off and on today. I expect that it will become a project compairable to the "Alien Stats" or "Starships Stats" projects.

I think I'll take a few notes over the next few days while I finish getting my Exodus campaign into full swing. Then start throwing together some stats.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know that a lot of the compilations on the net have a lot of stats pulled directly from the WEG books. Is there a protocol for using those stats in that way? Or is it fine so long as I list where the stats came from? How about any fan made stats?

The reason I ask is becuase if I'm going to start putting together a resource like this, I might end up adding some Clones, Battle Droids, Stormtroopers and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: