The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Opinions on books
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Opinions on books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Opinions on books Reply with quote

I've been kind of interested in some WEG material for a while and I was wondering if anybody had any reviews of the following items. Are they worth getting or just a waste of ink? Tell me what you think...

Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts
    Gamemaster Screen (any edition)
    Stock Ships
    any "canned" adventures (have you played or GM'ed any that you like or hate?)

Thanks.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG9: Scouts - Don't have, but it seems quite limited. if you're not planning on running a scout campaign, it's probably quite useless.

Gamemaster Screen: 2nd Editions Revised and Expanded - A MUST HAVE, in my opinion. The screen itself is great, with all the useful info you need in a game, and then some. But the booklet included with it is also priceless. Quick and clean stats and visuals for all your basic needs of bad guys, street folk, vehicles and ships. This is a really great help for adding something quickly to your adventure. And there's still lots more info in there than you would expect.

Stock Ships - Just aquired it recently and loved it. The ships included aren't that cool and are limited to the light freighter category, with the occasional space yacht, ranging from 30-50meters. However the richness of information on each one and the detail deckplans makes this very useful. I find that using a ship with a deckplan makes the experience a lot more realistic for players. I would truly recommend this book.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on books Reply with quote

Esjs wrote:
I've been kind of interested in some WEG material for a while and I was wondering if anybody had any reviews of the following items. Are they worth getting or just a waste of ink? Tell me what you think...

Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts
    Gamemaster Screen (any edition)
    Stock Ships
    any "canned" adventures (have you played or GM'ed any that you like or hate?)

Thanks.

No clue on Galaxy Guide 8, the only one I have is both the first and second edition of Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin. Personally Galaxy Guide 2 is pretty good, especially if you are planing to run adventures in the Yavin system or on Bespin.

I've got the second edition of the Gamemaster Screen and I use it quite often for ship and character creation so that it's starting to show some wear and tear. Highly useful charts for creating various stats as well as running adventures. Plus if you don't have any adventure in mind and are in need of a quick adventure for a sesion your hosting pretty soon, there are quite a few adventure hooks to help you out.

Stock Ships I am totally enthralled with. I've used it to come up with various ideas for ships for some of my characters to own or to be used in some of the adventures I've put together. Gives you a nice selection of stock freighters and yacths as well as a modified version for each type that your PCs might get their hands on and any complications they may run into by having it in their possesion.

Wanted Poster
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy guide 8 is really cool if you're interested in having a set of tables and such to work from for designing new species and planets. It also has 4 or 5 new templates (scout based of course) and several ships.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've written up reviews for two of the three, and thanks to Gry Sarth I've now got Stock Ships to look over. You can find the review for GG8 here http://www.geocities.com/grimace997/StarWars/scout.html.

You can find the review for the Revised Gamemaster Screen here http://www.geocities.com/grimace997/StarWars/game2.html

I've got other reviews, if you're interested, here http://www.geocities.com/grimace997/StarWars/List.html

Hope this helps.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! This is my first post on Rancor Pit although I've been addicted to SWD6 for well over 10 years. It's great to join you guys.

Anyway, I've just picked up one of the last books I've been missing, The Tales of the Jedi Companion. So far it looks great! This might be for Jedi what GG6 Tramp Freighters was to smugglers. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this book. Anything I should be careful of? Some of these powers look like GM char only stuff...
elomchamp
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Cadet MA-3PO. I'm a cadet too, But I'm no droid: I'm a Gen'dai.
elomchamp
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings there Esjs.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
Hi! This is my first post on Rancor Pit although I've been addicted to SWD6 for well over 10 years. It's great to join you guys.

elomchamp wrote:
Greetings there Esjs.

"Welcome" to the both of you! Smile Glad you could make it. Cheetos are right next to you and there is Mountain Dew in the fridge (duh).

MA-3PO wrote:
Anyway, I've just picked up one of the last books I've been missing, The Tales of the Jedi Companion. So far it looks great! This might be for Jedi what GG6 Tramp Freighters was to smugglers. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this book. Anything I should be careful of? Some of these powers look like GM char only stuff...

I would say this is the one book any GM needs for Force Powers! Some of the other information is good if you want to run an Old (and I mean OLD) Republic Jedi campaign; but if for no other reason get this book for the complete descriptions for 99.99999% of the Force powers out there.

As far as letting players choose powers from this book, be careful and be aware of those powers that result in DS points when used.

Have fun!
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but if for no other reason get this book for the complete descriptions for 99.99999% of the Force powers out there.

Yeah, I think I found the .00001% that's missing. It doesn't have Postcognition which was listed in the R&E rules but that is ok. I especially like the limited lightsaber modification rules they have.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
Yeah, I think I found the .00001% that's missing. It doesn't have Postcognition which was listed in the R&E rules but that is ok. I especially like the limited lightsaber modification rules they have.

I knew there was something missing... I just couldn't remember what.
elomchamp
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Smile*Ensign aye?
mserabian
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the differences between these books or do they all contain mostly the same information?

The Star Wars Sourcebook
The Star Wars Move Trilogy Sourcebook
The Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook Special Edition

I have the first edition of The Star Wars Sourcebook - what's in the others that's not in it?

thanks

mal
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars Movie Trilogy Sourcebook and The Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook Special Edition are almost the same. The SE version is a lot prettier and features added stats for new things seen in the SE release of the trilogy. These books focus on anything seen on screen in the movies. This is good for adventures where players interact with people, places, things they saw on film.

The Star Wars Sourcebook on the other hand is another one of the "must haves" for SWRPG. It goes into depth on things such as spacecraft systems, droids, equipment. It goes into deeper detail than what is covered in the movie books. It offers a good explanation on how everyday items in the SW universe work.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG8. Scouts... Well other than the information on playing scouts, setting up new worlds, it did have a few new ships and templates. Though the only problem i had with the new ships, is none of them listed a cost or availability....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: