The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactics anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Tactics anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Tactics anyone? Reply with quote

while i did ask Loc via email if he knew i thought i'd put the question out there to everyone now that im on the forum anyone seen where rules are well explain and if any bonuses apply when using tactics Loc pointed out its should be used to give hints and tips to the better tactician but i mean a skill to earn hints? i thought thats what gm favoritism points were for...
oh wait thats a house rule sorry off topic...

i was thinking that maybe it gives a 1d+2 bonus to command and troop moral... and gives your fleet/organization initive? i mean since there aren't any rules and im using npc's from the books on my players. id like to think that thrawn has 12d tactics for a reason other than to say look at my gross waste of character points. what do you guys think tactics rules are i mean if you were going to write it into under 2 paragraphs to put in the book with if needed maybe a grid like cap 1 beat cap 2 roll by >5 all troops have +1d to capital ship skills for battle... i mean i think of making out a whole bargainesk grid for it and the benefits and drawbacks. i mean esp if the aggressor rolled horribly low on the inital strike i mean that would be like when look to his little command to bakura and when they came out of hyperspace getting anhilated by the imperial forces instead of what really happened. like they thought "will just go and offer assistance." and the Imps thought "By the emporers black bones! A Rebel fleet all units break and attack the Rebels so and so fall back and defend the capital at all costs!"
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know i wasn't sure about that myself, but I think it might be that it catches the opponent off gaurd, giving you a surprise round to hit them with. Still, honsetly I don't know for sure.
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what the webmaster sent me when i emailed him about it:

Here is a short excerpt from page 47 of the
Revised and Expanded rule book that talks about Tactics:

Although tactics rolls might reveal how best to handle military
situations, the final outcome of how well the character's side does in a
battle hinges on other skill rolls - command for the leader, and the
combat rolls of both forces.
When rolling this skill, characters are often seeking ways to deal with
military situations. The better the result, the more hints a gamemaster
should give to help the character win the battle. Hints can take the
form of reminders about different moves the enemy can make, suggestions
on how to maneuver the character's forces, or (for especially good rolls)
risky or unanticipated moves which could throw the enemy off guard.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the GM hints and stuff, the game assumes that a lot of players aren't military geniuses, so tactics is a skill to show that the character may know more about a subject than a player actually does. It works that way for a lot of Knowledge skills... I mean, I for one couldn't find the black market if my life depended on it. But i have characters who have 6D streetwise or whatever, they could find/know about things that I only dream about...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the game I play in, I use tactics to anticipate what the Imperials are likely to do, so that I can try to counter it. I guess it could also be used to try and successfully come up with a counter move.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactics is a story and hint skill for characters. Say a character is a retired Imperial Captain, he's going to have some tactical experience so having a decent tactics roll is natural. It also shows the characters experience in battle, so the MOG tosses out hints like what maneurvers the players should use against the enemy, what the enemy is about to do and how to counter counter maneuvers. Counter/Burn for those Magic players out there. Smile

As for what it does for command, well, command is semi roleplaying skill. If you are playing an admiral, or a respected officer, the difficulty number should be really low when commanding your forces.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook actually has a tactic explained, with full rule effects. It can then easily be adapted to other sort of tactics. In my case I like to give bonuses ranging from +1 to +5 or even +1D for a short period of time when a player roll well on its tactic skill. However we have ruled than, like Scholar, Tactic should be a skill where you HAVE TO take on specialization. My character has for instance tactic: starfighter 7D and tactic: squads 5D...
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactics is what you have if your troops don't listen to you, or if you like moving little minatures around.

Command is what you can do when your troops do listen to you.

High Command and no Tactics means that "they will follow you into Hell." Probably literally since you have no idea how to actually win the battle.

High Tactics and no Command means that you could kick the crap out of Napoleon, Hitler, Ghengis Khan, and Alexander at Risk, but couldn't get a 5-year old to bring you some more Cheetos.

One without the other isn't useless, but it ain't exactly what the job calls for either.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that analogy. ANd that rule on tactics requiring specialties is great..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: