The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

I've got the Dark Empire Sourcebook and one of the things it's had me wonder about is the rules for gravity well projectors damage codes. Under damage it says blocks hyperspace travel, which I well know from having read the novels and played Rebellion. But there is a note on that that says to see pages 18-20 of Wanted by Cracken for complete rules. So I'm curious as to exactly what the rules are. Anyone know?

Wanted Poster
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted by Cracken only nitpicks on the subject, nothing you can't live without. It just describes how the Projectors work and stuff like that, which is surprising:
The Gravity Well Projectors actually function like gun turrets; you have to aim them. So they aren't area effective, like most people think.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me get some things straight. The way I view the fire arcs is that there are four basic fire arcs, front, left, right, and back, and one special fire arc, turret. Guns fireing within the four basic fire arcs can cover a 90 degree area, even if they have to swivel to do so. Guns firing within the turret fire arc can be turned to all four basic fire arcs, firing in them one at a time.

Does this mean that the gravity well projectors fire a 90 degree cone shaped field which covers one fire arc at a time and affects all ships within that field? Or is it like other weapons which fire a narrow beam that only effects one ship at a time? In addition, what happens if a ship tries going to hyperspace while in the field? Does it's hyperdrive malfunction or get destroyed? Or does it simply fail to make the jump. And how far does the field extend from the gravity well projector? Also, do ships already in hyperspace get brought out if they pass through the grav well field as happens in the novels?

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I do thank you for the help you've given already.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I have no knowledge of the D code for them, but my understanding, is that when a GWP is powered up, you have to make a 'to hit' roll to center its sphere of affect where you wish it (like over the target ship'. Each interdictors GWPs are set for 1 arc, with a LITTLE overlap (like GWP 1 and 2 each can hit the 80-100 degree area, while the 2 and 3 can hit the 170 to 190 area and so on). If the to hit roll misses, you roll for a 'grenade dispersal' to see where the core of the cone winds up. This way, a miss still might get the ship in its AOE, but it would be closer to one of the edges. Think of the AOE as like an Egg of energy.

As to what happens, it acts like a gravity well, and therefore will not let the ship go into hyperspace, though you can disable the safeties...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would work it the way it is described in the books. The area of effect is indeed a cone. Ships hitting the gravity well are dropped right out of hyperspace. When in real space, any ship within the gravity well simply will not jump into hyperspace.

And jumping into a Mass-Shadow is like teleporting inside solid matter. Do NOT turn off the safety and jump anyway. The ship will simply disapear and never be seen again.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: