The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Dodge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> The Dodge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: The Dodge Reply with quote

Basic question..
My guy rolls a dodge of 25.
Bad guy shoots me gets a 26. Incapacitates me.
Another bad dude shoots me in the same round..is his difficulty to hit me still 25 or is it the base range difficulty because..I'm flat on the floor now.
In the same round remember..thanks
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the other guy is shooting at a prone target, I'd say the modifier is different. There aren't really modifiers for prone targets, but I'd say that if you're outside the initial range increment of the weapon, you're at a massive penalty to hit because it's a ranged attack and someone has basically "hit the dirt". Their profile is smaller.

And no, I don't think your Dodge bonus should apply in the round anymore if you've been knocked flat and unable to move. I see the Dodge bonus as a "I'm continuing to be aware and maneuver around while doing other stuff" action. If you're no longer able to, well dodge, then you don't get the bonus.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the badguy rolls a 26 and my dodge was a 25, I'd spend a character point. But, if it came down to whether or not your dodge still applies, you could consider yourself still moving with the dodge roll, because all of this is happening within the timespan of 5 seconds or so. It can go either way.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could there also be the possibility that in addition to the dodge the first shot also causes you to flinch towards, or even away from, the wound and thus, along with your dodge roll, increase the chances of the second missing.

Wanted Poster
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a possibility... but usually when it comes to those sorts of situations what it comes down to is whether or not the GM wants to destroy you... Lucky for him... if you're in that situation, he doesn't have to describe past the player blacking out.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always played that if your only action is to dodge then it applies for the whole round
therritn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always played it that a character automatically gets to dodge (or various parries)when attacked, regardless if they did another action in that round (no penalties) This reflects that the characters aren't going to sit around and let someone try to damage them and also reflects an instinctive reflex action (known as the 'get the hell out of the way' action) which occurswhen attacked.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always play it that is the actions are taking place at the same time, the dodge would appy to any attacks. Now here's my "but".

If Bob declared a dodge and a shot, rolled a 25 for the dodge and got hit by Thug 1 (who declared a shot) and incapacitated, he obviously wouldn't be able to take his second action of the same round.

Likewise, if a second thug, Thug 2, declared 2 shots, the first would have the same difficulty as Bob's dodge of 25. The second shot, as it's the second action of the same round, wouldn't suffer from that same difficulty, as now Bob is prone on the ground and unconcious. Thug 1, who only declared one action, can't take advantage of Bob being unconcious (this round), but Thug 2, who had the forethought to act more than once in the round, I give the benefit of Bob being knocked for a loop.

The same would apply, even if Bob didn't get swatted in the first action. Say Bob rolled 27 dodge, and Thug 1 rolled 26. Thug 1 misses. Thug 2 rolls 18, and misses as well. Now, same round, Bob shoots at Thug 1, rolling a hit. At the same time, Thug 2 rolls against the base range difficulty of Bob, since he's not dodging right at this time, but shooting.

That way there's the benefit of a Full Dodge against a declared Dodge along with another action. The Dodge doesn't last the whole round.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a 'full dodge' added the dodge roll to the basic difficulty of the shot (so a diff 5 shot with a 25 dodge becomes diff 30) whereas a dodge plus action(s) became the difficulty of the shot (so a diff 5 shot with a 25 dodge becomes a diff 25 shot)

Both apply for the whole round

Last edited by Esoomian on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the book Essomian. You're right. But as it is with any RPG. The rules are just a grounds to start with. If a GM would like to change something about the Rules that they don't like, or think something else can work better. All the more power to them.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that above situation, if the person got wounded (meing he is on the floor an looses his other actions that round) or incapicitated, any attacks that came at him for the rest of the round, would be at base diff for the range, PLUS a 2d mod for being prone...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: