The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Has Anyone Else Noticed ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Has Anyone Else Noticed ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Has Anyone Else Noticed ... Reply with quote

... that most all blasters have a Fire Rate of 1? Thus, they cannot be fired more than once per round, even taking multiple action penalties into account.

It struck me as very weird that you have to get a slug thrower or repeating blaster to be able to fire off more shots, but it seems to be what the rules state. Considering there's no explicet rules for automatic or burst fire other than multiple actions, I suppose it makes sense. It just goes against my initial assumption. And I believe a rules example in the book (Using R&E btw) went with the same wrong assumption, back in the multiple actions description somewhere.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they were trying to base things on real life. I haven't heard of fully automatic pistols in real life, just semi-automatic. But just because I haven't heard of such things doesn't mean they don't exsist.

There is the "Blast and Smash" Energy Rifle from Gundark's Fantastic Technology, which has a fire rate of 7 for the rifle part and 1 for the grenade part. Check the weapons section over at Rebel Roleplayers Alliance for more such weapons, but due question some of those that are supposed to be repeating. They listed both the E-web and F-web as having a fire rate of 1, which doesn't make sense for repeating weapons. Though this may be cause of the fact that the source for both listed them as such.

Edit: I just checked the second edition revised and expanded. Under Combat and injuries on page 91 it says that if a weapon does not have a fire rate listed, then you can fire the weapon as often as you like. If it does list a fire rate, you can only fire it that many times in a round. And if it's a fraction then you can only fire it once every so many rounds. Their fraction examples are 1/2 and 1/5, once every two rounds and once every five rounds. So I'd gues those are for reload time.

Wanted Poster
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Fire Rate Reply with quote

I wrote the editor of the D6 line a while back(years) they said the fire rate of 1 for blaster rifles and blasters was a mistake. Notice in the back of 2nd edtiion R&E..under the quick heading..it states no fire rate for those weapons.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Rate Reply with quote

worfbacca wrote:
I wrote the editor of the D6 line a while back(years) they said the fire rate of 1 for blaster rifles and blasters was a mistake. Notice in the back of 2nd edtiion R&E..under the quick heading..it states no fire rate for those weapons.

Ahh, I'll check that soonish. Thanks for the info, though, that was a lifesaver. If you have any other clarifications you got from emailed questions, please share. Smile Maybe we could put together an unofficial / official errata if enough folks got info this way...

(makes me wish the D6 Star Wars mailing list saw more use)

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fire Rate Reply with quote

worfbacca wrote:
Notice in the back of 2nd edtiion R&E..under the quick heading..it states no fire rate for those weapons.

Do you mean the equipment tables on page 263?

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Rate Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Do you mean the equipment tables on page 263?

I would assume so, considering those tables indicate that the only weapons with a Fire Rate are the wookiie bowcaster and the heavy artillery stuff.

Which lends the question: What's the advantage of having a repeating blaster over a non-repeating blaster?

Hellcat: You must like Taco Bell. Be gentle.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've revised a lot of the repeating blasters in later equipment books, repeating blasters on constant fire mode hit multiple times for every blaster roll. Usually 5 or 6 times. how's rolling 5D+2 against your opponent 5 times? With wound penalties stacking, if you hit the guy, they're gone.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
john brewer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
They've revised a lot of the repeating blasters in later equipment books, repeating blasters on constant fire mode hit multiple times for every blaster roll. Usually 5 or 6 times. how's rolling 5D+2 against your opponent 5 times? With wound penalties stacking, if you hit the guy, they're gone.

What later equipment books would those be? I have a friend who has a bunch of the old WEG books and would like to see that.

Thanks!
John
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are examples of auto-fire blasters in Galladnium's Fantastic technology, Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook, and in galaxy guide 10: Bounty Hunters. Plus I believe that there are a few more examples in a few other books.

I posted exact excerpts on a few of these weapons in the equipment section: Here

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are such things as Fully Automatic Pistols. I even heard of models of Mauser Pistols being made, at the factory, for full-auto. (Yes, the same family as used for Han Solo's infamous DL-44!).

They aren't too good, however, recoil is *INSANE* on them, and accuracy isn't better. SMGs were developed, and it was good.

But my group does consider the "Rate Of Fire = 1" to be off.

Just FYI.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea I'm glad to learn the fire rate of 1 was an error.

Back when my buddies and I started, we couldn't make sense of that so we ignored it. We came up with a house rule:

Standard weapons can fire as often as you can pull the trigger, but receive an action penalty for each firing. An average Joe (2D DEX) can fire his blaster pistol 10 times in one round...he won't hit anything because of the -9D penalty, but his opponents might duck...then again they might not.

Repeating weapons score one hit for every multiple of the difficulty number rolled (10 short, 15 medium, etc). Thus a roll of thirty would score three hits in one firing/action/burst at short range. These hits are on the same or different targets at the discretion of the director. But each burst from a repeating weapon consumes 1D6+3 rounds of ammo/energy from the power pack. We used the wild die for this so more effective bursts consume more ammo/energy. A repeating weapon may also be fired in multiple bursts per round. Each burst receive an action penalty.

We figured people in the heat of battle firing as fast as they can are generally shooting into a charging enemy so they're satisfied to hit anything. If a player claims to be so calm as to carefully pick his target, the director repeats back what he heard the player say "You're aiming".

P.S. Yes, there are fully automatic pistols on Earth.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machine Pistols (A sub-class of Submachine Guns) are pistol-sized weapons that can fire fully automatic (Or, more often in modern times, in controlled bursts.).

I mentioned the Mauser. The Russians had a varient of their Tokarev Pistol that fired full-auto. In more modern times you have the Beretta M93R (Which was modified into the gun in RoboCop, which fires in semi-auto or three-round burst.) and Glock 18 (Which is semi-auto or full auto at 1300-Rounds per minute.).

They're meant to be used in *VERY* close quarters, where even a standard SMG would be too large and bulky, and fire only in *VERY* short bursts. Otherwise, you have a pistol-sized anti-aircraft weapon that has no chance in hell of really affecting aircraft.

Also, FYI, "Machine Pistol" is also a term used in Europe for SMG, which causes confusion with people that don't know the history behind the weapons.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my recollection, the only blaster weapons that do have a fire rate of 1 are carbines, heavy pistols and thunderers. ALl else has a fire rate of -.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: