The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Game balance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Game balance Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handle the game the way the movies are handled:

Cut the action into scenes.
-----
HWS you gotta shoot that Laser Battery down there and... wait a minute... Are those are our guys by the battery?
-----
Infiltrator 1, we've reached opportunity target delta..
-----
Sniper, check your scope and see what's over by the battery four.
-----

And so on and so forth.

Keeps the players guessing too.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roguesquad wrote:
Something you can always do, is make the encounters a bit easier than you usually might. If something goes far too easy, and there is no challenge, it's not hard to send reinforcements. This way, if you wanted the challenge higher, it's easy to tweak. And if it's easy at first, the pc's think they accomplished something, giving them a bit of confidence to think they can do it.

I agree with this and this is pretty much what I do. Occasionally I'll think its easy and it really turns out to be very hard for them, I'll usually cut them a break at that point.

But I agree, start of easy and if it goes too smooth its easy to rough them up a bit later.

If they can't ever keep characters around and accomplish anything or you give away everything theres no sense of accomplishment out of the situation.

Balance as in all things must be acheived.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
the thing that gets kind of annoying is when your players want it to be exactly like a videogame...they don't want to roleplay, they just want to kill...
I think once he realized that he couldn't be as godly as he thinks he plays in his videogames and that he actually has started getting into character, that the game is much more fun when it's not just hack n' slash... he had fun playing "Jedi Catch" with another student Smile

I will wholeheartedly agree there. I have personally had one group make their displeasure known to me, for killing 2 of them with what they refered to as 'spite'. No warnings or nothing even though i was giving out IMO plenty. 4 of 7 left the group, but after a few months 2 came back, and explained their resoning for being that way. Basically it boiled down to 2 things..
1) they were too used to Computer games, where if you wish you can enable all sorts of cheats to go through things they thought are hard. Cannot do that in an RPG.
2) They were also used to the previous gm, who let them get away with a heck of a lot, and made it public knowledge he will not kill any pcs.. period. No matter if the BBEG comes up and lays the smack down. Where i was like, "well, i am one who lets things go as they go. If death is the result, i am not one to fear it happening"....

Rathe.. just a question. What does MOG stand for???

Quote:
I like missions where you may be in one piece but your all scratched up, bruised and battered. It shows you really had to make an effort to come out alive

Same here. IMO if i make the challenge, and they waltz through it with no effort (or little effort) it is my failure as a gm. Where as if the challenge is tough as heck, and they still make it. GREAT! BUt i also am one to not shed a tear if they cannot make it for what ever reason.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not absolutely possitive, but from context I would say:

MOG = Master of Games or Moderator of Games
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, how old are the players? I guess because my group is all in the mid to late 20's (yeah, we're old) we don't have these kinds of issues. I've made it clear that characters CAN die, but I don't try too hard to kill them either. The main thing is to have fun. Stick it out though. The players will be happy in the long run you didn't make it to easy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that directed at me?? If so, back when this happened i think the oldest amongst the group was me at 24 (ish). We had a pair of 20 yr olds, three 19 yr olds, and a pair of 18 yr olds...
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already killed off 3/4 of the Special Forces squad. Mainly only after a player decided to stop coming to sessions... whether it was because of the difficuly of play, or what. I disapprove of the number of people out there with a Neo complex. Wanting to wade into a crowd of people, and come out very well untouched. I also dislike the lack of skill presented with the Imperial Forces. I find it distasteful that the Galaxy's elite military force is a bunch of squealers with barely professional skills. Though I'm running a group of special forces. I don't think the people that they're going after should be "mooks" Forcing me to put in Imperial Guard, and Storm Commandos, when they just aren't really ready, or expecting a challanging fight. They end up going in blindly, and coming out of the fight a few men down... It really wrecks morale. On top of that, when I try to introduce a new character... they end up making a character who cannot be killed by blasters...

I don't know if any of you have ever come up and seriously questioned yourself about running games. But I have begun to, because it seems like for my players to have fun, I cannot... and I don't think that's the way it should be. It should not be that one person has to sacrifice their fun for the group to be successful.

And the group I'm playing in, is 18 and up.
Though it's broken up into several smaller groups. Some of which have people who are newer to gaming than others.

Or now that I think of it, it might just be that way every time I'm trying to get someone new into Role Playing.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to give in a little, and try and meet the player's style halfway. Make them stretch out a bit, away from the FinalFantasy-style RPGs. Try and give them things to do besides combat, like dealing with money or equipment, or having to find a specific person for their next job. Something that does't take the role-playing skills that most have, but but some. And it isn't fighting.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell, seems like you and me are alike. I get considered a harsh one a lot.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I don't know if any of you have ever come up and seriously questioned yourself about running games. But I have begun to, because it seems like for my players to have fun, I cannot... and I don't think that's the way it should be. It should not be that one person has to sacrifice their fun for the group to be successful.

I have asked myself those sort of questions on occasion, but not for the reasons you bring up (other reasons not directly related to GM style). I usually don't have a lot of difficulty challenging players, and I always have a bag of tricks waiting and ready to be used. I like to surprise players and keep them on their toes, and plotting big, big evil for the characters is half the fun. It's just a matter of balancing it to the players style. With any new group, or major changes to a player group, i spend a few game session "taking it easy" on them to get a feel for their playing style, so I can better adapt the challenges for them. Once I have a reasonable idea of how players will start to react to given situations, I start throwing curvballs and plot hooks at them to get them to go where I want.
As for stormtroopers being weak, or players creating characters imune to blasters, well, these issues are addressed in several threads. Keep in mind though, you don't always need massive numbers, and you don't always need storm commandos or imperial guards. The thrawn sourcebooks, as well as others make mention of veterran troopers, and you can add specialized equipment. You could create a "tierred" arrangement to the encounters too, where the players can start off merrily blasting away at incompetants, but as they do, reinforcements begin to arrive, making things more difficult, and bringing in the more skilled baddies in stages. This will give the players a chance to see things are getting worse and should consider withdrawing or trying a new approach ("As you blaze away at the Stormtroopers, you see several moor on the ridge moving in an E-Web and setting it up just out of range of your pistols. This seams to be a well calculated move on their part, what do you do?").
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well. I was going to ask another quesiton, on whether the fun a gm has is at the expense or is linked to how much the party is having...... And visa versa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: