The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Next batch of questions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Next batch of questions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Next batch of questions... Reply with quote

To honor Kages request, i am making one thread for these 4 questions..

1). In many of the novels we see the 'destructive potential' of proton torpeedos when used against troops and ground targets. But they do not list any blast radius (for atmosphere) or 'blast damage radi'. What would you rate them as?

2). If a jedi attempts to use absorb disapate on an attack, and fails in that Ab/Dis, does he then get a strength roll to resist it??

3). Some skills are listed as being together, others as seperate. Like hide/sneak, computer programming & repair. Do you think some of these should be combined or seperated??

4). What would you assess the difficulty for say, someone using a blaster rifle (or slughthrower rifle) as a baseball bat for 'smacking a grenade' at the enemy? What additions (or subtractions) to the range of the grenade would you give?

Well.. thoughts
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I'd probably give it about the same blast radius as a grenade. Though it's much more powerful than a hand grenade, it's not designes to spread the damage, but to puncture a hull.

2) Sure, how else would you calculate damage?

3) Skills are fine the way they are, the only instance where I have some doubts is climbing/jumping.

4)It would probably be a Very Difficult task, rifles are just not meant to be used as baseball bats. The range should be a little greater than a normal thrown grenade, though you could keep it the same, just to keep things simple. Remember, however, that grenades can be set in a timer or to explode in impact, in the 2nd case, it would surely detonate when you hit it.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1). In many of the novels we see the 'destructive potential' of proton torpeedos when used against troops and ground targets. But they do not list any blast radius (for atmosphere) or 'blast damage radi'. What would you rate them as?

Same as a grendade. -1d for every 10 meters away. Starfighter scale damage.

Quote:
2). If a jedi attempts to use absorb disapate on an attack, and fails in that Ab/Dis, does he then get a strength roll to resist it??

Yes, yes he does.

Quote:
3). Some skills are listed as being together, others as seperate. Like hide/sneak, computer programming & repair. Do you think some of these should be combined or seperated??

Hide and sneak I seperate. But most skills are too closely related to not be seperated.

Quote:
4). What would you assess the difficulty for say, someone using a blaster rifle (or slughthrower rifle) as a baseball bat for 'smacking a grenade' at the enemy? What additions (or subtractions) to the range of the grenade would you give?

As soon as they slam the grenade, it goes off. Don't hit grenades, intercept them in mid-air or use TK.
to finance my 'vette!
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Garhkal,
Lets see if I can provide some decent information for a change.

1. I would assign a blast radius like this 0-5/10/15/20/25 with damage starfighter scale 9D/7D/5D/3D/1D. My reasoning for the large blast radius is that the weapon is designed to provide high damage to very well armored targets. If it is attacking the ground or some other not well armored target then the explosion has a lot more room to travel.
2. Yes, strength resist rolls are from the natural sturdiness and ruggedness of the body.
3. In the past I have separated some of these skills in particularly Computer programming/repair. Working in the tech field I know there is a big difference between working on tech gear to fix it and programming gear to do what it is supposed to do. I sometimes incorporate a generic Computer Use skill as well. Example: Just because you know how to do things in Windows like use applications, surf the web, use email etc. does not mean you know how to make a program to run in that environment or how to troubleshoot and repair its hardware.
4. First you would need to determine if the grenade was set to detonate on impact or by timer. If the grenade is set to detonate on impact no need to read any farther. If set on a timer, I would have the batter roll an opposed dex check against the pitchers grenade or dex roll. If it is greater than it is going back and I would roll on the grenade table for random direction and distance I would double the normal throwing distance ranges.

Well that is my two credits worth and I do not give refunds Twisted Evil

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No refunds needed....

What about (for teh grenade one) if he was having a friend toss one up for him to hit?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Next batch of questions... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
To honor Kages request, i am making one thread for these 4 questions..

I agree with Others, give them the rough blast radius of a grenade as they are not really meant to spread damage out. Maybe even Half a grenade. Usually when I have read about Tie bombers in ground support they are using some type of Concussion or Energy bomb, which the rules don't even cover. In such a case I would double the blast radius, and reduce the range of the weapon.

Quote:

Absolutely, as the Absorb/dissipate energy is a seperate power and skill use from the normal strength roll. The strength roll is how final damage is calculated. A house rule I ran into at a few conventions was that the Damage-Strength comparison was rolled first, and the Jedi merely needed to use the excess energy that would have wounded him for his Absorb/Dissipate modifier, this being explained as the characters armor and strength protected him from the rest (I have mixed feelings about such a rule).

Quote:

I keep them together, and allow for either category to contain specialization.

Quote:

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Is he using his own grenade, or trying to bat a grenade that's been thrown at him?
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
No refunds needed....

What about (for teh grenade one) if he was having a friend toss one up for him to hit?

I would probably assign an easy difficulty for the dex check, but the direction and distance would still be random. Since a grenade is not design to be a baseball, the rifle is not designed to be a bat and the character is not a basebal player Smile

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: