The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fixing Danger Sense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Fixing Danger Sense Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably end up going for larger steps and whole dice values, such as:

0-6 = +1D
7-12 = +2D
13-18 = +3D

etc.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, maybe there should also be rules for Surprise that allow a Jedi to use his Sense dice in place of Search...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it if he calls for it, but on general principle, no.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible and surprisingly simple solution...

Suppose that Danger Sense is left as is, but instead of the player calling the use of the skill, the GM does, but only in the form of telling the FS character to roll Sense. It would be little different than characters rolling Perception or Search to detect a surprise attack. Characters can still consciously bring Danger Sense up on their own, but it also activates automatically (at the GM's discretion) as per how it is described in the films & novels.

IMO, this would do a pretty good job of simulating the feeling of an undefinable sense of danger for the players. If the GM simply tells you to roll Sense, but doesn't tell you why, you yourself experience that slightly edgy, paranoid, what-am-I-missing mindset that might lead you to utter the phrase "I have a bad feeling about this." Which would be exactly what your character is experiencing if he rolled his Sense but didn't beat Moderate Difficulty for DS.

EDIT: And there would still be a place in this system for a graduated results chart, as previously suggested, but the exact details of that result chart would still need to be worked out...

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A possible and surprisingly simple solution...

Suppose that Danger Sense is left as is, but instead of the player calling the use of the skill, the GM does, .

That is kinda how the Jame Bond RPG used to handle Sixth Sense. In Bond, when a character wanted to look for something he would use PER. Sixth Senth, by contrast was rolled by the GM, never by the player, and never at the choiice of the player.

When a PC was about to be surprised, or something was going on nearby that the PC realy had no chance of knowing (like somebody carrying a concealed weapon in an inncous object), the GM would make a Sixth Sense roll for the PC. If successful the character would be given information based on the qality of the roll. Marginal success would give some sort of vague feeling that something was wrong, while better results would give more info.

IMO, that would fit Star Wars nicely. I don7t think the Jedi are actiively putting Danger Sense up, ut instead it is a passive ability. Like how sometime you might sense that you are being watched without really looking around for somebody.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
IMO, this would do a pretty good job of simulating the feeling of an undefinable sense of danger for the players. If the GM simply tells you to roll Sense, but doesn't tell you why, you yourself experience that slightly edgy, paranoid, what-am-I-missing mindset that might lead you to utter the phrase "I have a bad feeling about this." Which would be exactly what your character is experiencing if he rolled his Sense but didn't beat Moderate Difficulty for DS.
I like it! Though I think I would probably up the difficulty (though with graduated maybe not). I have been noticing as I watch the Clone Wars TV show DVDs that it seems someone (not always a Jedi or even a good guy) says "I have a bad feeling about this" in every episode.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless though, you also ask them to just roll sense for other things without any other prompting, they will soon realize that is what you are having them do it for.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Unless though, you also ask them to just roll sense for other things without any other prompting, they will soon realize that is what you are having them do it for.

A good case for atgxtg's suggestion from the 007 RPG. (Have the GM roll danger sense.)

Unless your players are absolutely trustworthy, you know, like I was... Wink

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, a truly sneaky GM might just call for random dice rolls at random moments...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone call??
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do both. I sometimes ask players to make rolls for things at various times e.g. PER or Sense and for danger sense, I sometimes roll secretly on the player's behalf.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm still at a loss for how to do a good graduated result system. I like garhkal's description of how the information the Jedi receives from Danger Sense slowly ramps up in accuracy depending on how well he rolled, but I'd still like to see a good representation in rules form. At the moment, I'm leaning more towards having the Jedi receive a bonus to initiative rather than Search, as the premonitions the Jedi receives from the Force seem to be independent of information observed through physical senses...

Maybe for abject failure, the Jedi utterly fails his initiative and is completely surprised (as per the rules for Surprise), but a minimal success allows the Jedi a penalized initiative roll even under circumstances where he would've been surprised...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something along these lines:

Failure on the roll: no benefit (rolls normal initiative or is surprised etc)

Marginal Success (rolls 15 or lower): Is entitled to the appropriate reaction skill, without knowing why (GM says: "roll dodge." Player rolls, GM describes outcome).

Solid Success (rolls 16-20): GM informs player of the type of danger ("you're about to be shot at;" "A rock is falling out of the air onto your head," etc...) and player decides how to react.

Decisive Success (rolls 21-30): GM informs the player of the type of attack and the direction and/or distance of origin. Player responds as he sees fit.

Heroic Success (rolls 31+): GM informs the player of any details he wants to know, and the element of surprise is granted to the player, rather than the attacker.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, I'm still at a loss for how to do a good graduated result system. I like garhkal's description of how the information the Jedi receives from Danger Sense slowly ramps up in accuracy depending on how well he rolled, but I'd still like to see a good representation in rules form. At the moment, I'm leaning more towards having the Jedi receive a bonus to initiative rather than Search, as the premonitions the Jedi receives from the Force seem to be independent of information observed through physical senses...

Maybe for abject failure, the Jedi utterly fails his initiative and is completely surprised (as per the rules for Surprise), but a minimal success allows the Jedi a penalized initiative roll even under circumstances where he would've been surprised...

Sort of like

Sense roll 0-4, fully surprised
5-8, somewhat surprised -1d to init
9-12, not surprised, but knows little about the incoming danger.
and so on?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
How about something along these lines:

I was thinking something more along the lines of a basic description, with bonuses to initiative indicating the degree of insight, sort of like what garhkal wrote here:

garhkal wrote:
Sort of like

Sense roll 0-4, fully surprised
5-8, somewhat surprised -1d to init
9-12, not surprised, but knows little about the incoming danger.
and so on?

I'm thinking something more along the lines of having a base Difficulty of Easy. If the character fails that, he still experiences a premonition of sorts, but passes it off as nerves, and therefore reacts to surprise and initiative attacks like any other character.

On success, it would be something like this:

0-10 = Character is somewhat surprised, but may still roll initiative (at -1D)
11-20 = Character reacts normally to initiative rolls
21-30 = Character is not surprised at all, and receives the full effect of the Danger Sense RAW.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: