The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need rules for mecha-stuffs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Need rules for mecha-stuffs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Need rules for mecha-stuffs Reply with quote

One of the mecha I want to use is somewhat like the Strormtrooper 0-G suit, but different.

It'll be called an HK (hunter-killer) and is something like a walker-sized powersuit. Ok, maybe not quite walker sized, but bigger than a regular trooper. It focuses on skill and training, and is not mass-produced. Pilots usualy take care of them themselves, and each HK is customized (well, at least as soon as the pilot gets a chance...)

Now, I'm wondering if there are any rules for these sort of things. It obviously requires mechanical skills, but it also relies heavily on reflexes and prescision movements. I'm considering using a set of mechanical skills, but give a bonus for dexterity: say, +1 for every 1D, but with a +2D+1 cap. An HK pilot would often have 7D in blaster and dodge, as they are not run-of-the-mill troopers but highly skilled vetrans that were once troopers themselves.

Any advice?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is either a power-suit, or a walker with manipulator arms. No need to make any new skills for it there.

But it seems you already have everything you want it to be able to do. So pick a scale, than compare it to other power-suits/walkers, and adjust it's abilities to how you'd like it to perform against such vehicles with an operator of equal skill.

If it is a power-suit, it should have a mix of character and speeder scale weapons. If it is a walker, one speeder scale anti-infantry weapon, and make the rest walker-scale.
to finance my 'vette!
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not quite as big as a walker...but quite able to take care of one.

Is there anyplace where I can get a good look at some power suits?
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on Google for Power armor, i think they have the perfect picture for you... let me see if i can get it on here.

http://www.solaris7.com/images/TRO/BattleArmor/Longinus%20Power%20Armor%20-FWL.jpg

there's the link.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though what Kehlin just posted is NOT Star Wars power armor, power armor in Star Wars looks quite similar.

They tend to add 6 inches to 2 feet to the characters height.
Provide Protecting as Str+their Die code vs. Damage.
Allow the wearer to carry heavier than normally allowed weapons (Speeder scale Missiles, two or three E-Webs, something like that Jawa Ion Gun, but bigger. Launching Tow Cable, et cetera.)

They do tend to take down a walker, usually when they outnumber it. Than again, you seem to be talking about making something that is not meant for mass-production, and uses a lot of high-end custom parts. Something like that could probably take down an AT-ST in a one on one. Is that what you are thinking?
to finance my 'vette!
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kind of people that get these suits in the military could probably take out a walker with a light blaster and their legs tied together. Vetrans who their commanders want to have a better chance of surviving a battle.

I'll have to look at some stats for power armor, but I think I'd reather have it be treated as a vehicle. It would definitly need a mechanical skill to be used.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just providing pitures and resources, not Official Star wars info..

he wanted a picture... that's what i thought of... just trying to provide a little help
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pretty good depiction of what I'm thinking of, though.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said there was anything wrong with the picture, just that it wasn't from Star Wars. It's a great picture.

But anyway, in Star Wars, powered Armor is a vehicle, and requires the Mechanical skill "Powered Armor" to operate. All of the rules have been laid out for you already. You just need to write down the following.
Model:
Type:
Scale: Character, Speeder, Walker
Height:
Skill: Powered Armor: Model Type (Unless walker scale) Walker: Model Type
Maneuverability:
Sensors: If it has them.
Additional Strength to the character. (If Power armor)
All weapons and equipment.
Yeah, after this it all depends on wether it is a walker, or powered armor.

And remember, the biggest balancing factor of all, availability and price. There is a reason you don't see Space-Troopers or people in Correllian Power Armor or droids in a Mandalorian Battle-Harness going into a one on one fight with a walker. The walker usually wins.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been kicking this around and taking careful consideration as to how to answer this. I am fairly certain this pertains to that anime style campaign you had discussed earlier Argamoth, and so I am basing my answer on an anime feel. If you intend for these to operate like an extremely heavy armor suite such as any of the following:
Z-G Storm Trooper Armor
Space Marine Terminator Armor
Space Ork Mega-Armor
Armored Troopers Votoms
Clan Elementals or Inner Sphere Prot0Mechs/Battle Armor
Heavy Gears
Queadlun-Rau or Nousjadeul-Jer Armor
Madox-00/01
Any other number of heavy, yet small, 1-man tanks...
And you feel you must have that Anime feel where it is based on the pilots physical Dex rather than a Piloting skill (common in slave-controlled mecha where the pilots arms and legs either partially or fully fit into the arms and legs of the suite), then I propose this:
(A)Powersuite/Battlesuite Operation - This skill is essential to the successful use of Powered suites, proto-mechs, and dreadnaught armor. It is added to a characters Brawling, Brawling Parry, Melee, Melee Parry, Dodge, or Blaster skill for all hand held weapons and combat. For all Built in weapons the character must have a Vehicle Gunnery skill of 5D or better, and for use of built in flight systems the Character must have Repulsorlift Op 5D, or Rocket Pack Op 5D. To use special features such as sensors, shields, etc, requires appropriate skills.

Doing it this way would, of course, replace the Powersuit Operation listed in the Second Edition R&E.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I plan on using this for a non-StarWars campaign, so it doesn't really matter.

I like the idea of battle suit operation. Probably an advanced skill with requirements of blaster, vehicle blasters, and some mechanical and technical skills. Battlesuit skill adds to just some skills used when wearing the suit (blasters, vehicle blasters for shoulder-cannons, missile weapons, strength and dodge, ect....)

For balance, thses suits are not available to people outside the military. They are specialy ordered, and customized by their owners. To get one you'd either have to prove yourself on the battle feild, or inherit one from someone else. If a PC wants one, he'll need to have the technical skills to do it.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:

I like the idea of battle suit operation. Probably an advanced skill with requirements of blaster, vehicle blasters, and some mechanical and technical skills. Battlesuit skill adds to just some skills used when wearing the suit (blasters, vehicle blasters for shoulder-cannons, missile weapons, strength and dodge, ect....)

I had a feeling that was something along the lines of what you were seeking. By any chance, have you ever played the old Mekton II system by R.Talsorian? It was great for simulating anime (then they ruined it with Mekton Z, and Fuzion).
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need rules for mecha-stuffs Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
One of the mecha I want to use...is like a walker-sized powersuit...I'm wondering if there are any rules for these sort of things...Any advice?

Find a copy of Star Wars Miniatures Battles by WEG. They have complete rules for designing mecha...er...I mean walkers. The Miniatures Battles rules are directly convertable to the RPG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: