The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Riot Troopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Riot Troopers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option is to have the shield drain little energy while simply active, say 1 hour of use, but parrying with it drains much more energy. 10 Parries before recharge for example.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it's also possible that the shield could absorb some of the blaster's energy to recharge itself. The tech has some precedent in the EU.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Of course, it's also possible that the shield could absorb some of the blaster's energy to recharge itself. The tech has some precedent in the EU.

That'd be an interesting idea. If the one weilding the shield beats the parry roll by 5-10 then the energy from the attack is absorbed and the shield recovers one charge for each D of energy damage the attack would do.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably just circumvent it altogether and say that it happens automatically. Overloading the energy absorption ability could be part and parcel of the damage rules for the shield in the first place...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not only would it ignore most energy attacks, but fully recharge each time? Seems to be making this a little too potent/good.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So not only would it ignore most energy attacks, but fully recharge each time? Seems to be making this a little too potent/good.

What gives you the idea that it would ignore energy attacks? I never said that, and my stat write-up doesn't either.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the talk about ignoring either the LS damage or the control part...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
All the talk about ignoring either the LS damage or the control part...

Well, what would you suggest, then? I wanted to include some sort of rule that actually made these thing an obstacle to a lightsaber, but a Jedi with even a few Control dice and Lightsaber Combat will be able to chop right through them.

EDIT: And you'll notice I left that conversation out of the actual stat write-up.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you turn it into a jedi capture shield, not just a riot shield.

And why WOULD riot cops have a shield that would give them better protection against one fragment of a percentage of the society (jedi)??
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really, really long thread on a riot shield.

But I am kind of enjoying watching garhkal argue that crmcneil is unfairly letting stormtroopers spank the Jedi. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Then you turn it into a jedi capture shield, not just a riot shield.

And why WOULD riot cops have a shield that would give them better protection against one fragment of a percentage of the society (jedi)??

This isn't for riot cops, although that is the original topic of this thread. The shield is more like a high-tech version of the tactical shield used by SWAT teams for CQB. It's also used by military special forces for the exact same mission.

As for why? A large part of my motivation comes from an episode of the Clone Wars, where a group of Jedi encounter commando droids wielding energized shields that block lightsabers (or are resistant to them, at the very least). The idea here is not to equip run-of-the-mill cops with these things on the off chance they might encounter a Jedi; the idea here is to equip elite military units with them to make them even more formidable by providing them with greatly increased protection, even from lightsabers.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
This is a really, really long thread on a riot shield.

But I am kind of enjoying watching garhkal argue that crmcneil is unfairly letting stormtroopers spank the Jedi. :wink:

It is rather ironic, isn't it? Glad you are enjoying yourself.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Well, what would you suggest, then?
Give the shield a basic energy defense of 5D treat it as hard cover of 4D and allow the wielder to roll a parry vs. attacks. If the parry is successful against say a lightsaber double the energy defense. All you need do is set a difficulty that is not quite as high as the Jedi's attack, so there is a chance for the trooper to parry (it might be easier to get a big shield in the way than to block with a weapon) and off you go.

The parry allows for beginning padawans to be stopped by shields, but a Master wouldn't be too seriously inconvenienced since he could either roll too well to be parried or could boost his damage enough to cut through the shield.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Give the shield a basic energy defense of 5D treat it as hard cover of 4D and allow the wielder to roll a parry vs. attacks. If the parry is successful against say a lightsaber double the energy defense. All you need do is set a difficulty that is not quite as high as the Jedi's attack, so there is a chance for the trooper to parry (it might be easier to get a big shield in the way than to block with a weapon) and off you go.

The parry allows for beginning padawans to be stopped by shields, but a Master wouldn't be too seriously inconvenienced since he could either roll too well to be parried or could boost his damage enough to cut through the shield.
Interesting, kind of a sweet spot, maybe at the projector face, that's far more damage resistant?

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: