The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Grenades and other explosives
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Grenades and other explosives Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They cannot be unstable. Why would they store them in crates, in piles, if they were? Why simply toss them around if they were?

But hey, if you have a rule somewhere that says otherwise, it would be nice to have a rule.

From the official Star Wars Databank
Quote:
Baradium is dangerously unstable, and fusion reactions have been known to start due to improper handling or jarring of the detonators.

Baridium is the radioactive, plutonium like substance that allows a Thermal Detonator to work. Taken out of context, you would think a Thermal Detonator it self is highly unstable, and prone to explode at random jarrings.

The problem is, the safety feature of a Thermal Detonator is that is can stop a fusion reaction of Baridium. So jam it around all you want, as long as the Baridium/Thermite core is safe inside that detonator, only the trigger will kill you.

It takes 30 seconds for a fusion reaction of Baridium to go critical, and at ANY TIME it can be stopped. So... why not have the off switch always keep the Baridium under control?
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taking that from this write up on them from rules of engagement...
"From page 69 of Rules of Engagement.

Used as a military-engineering explosive, Baradium charges, commonly known as thermal detonators are highly effective but highly unstable. They are rarely used for direct attack – too dangerous to the user.
Only the extremely desperate use thermal detonators as weapons. Since it is so unstable, and also popular as a terrorist weapon, possession of Baradium charges is illegal without a license."

There was 2 other times i have read the same write up but i cannot locate which books they are in right now.

So by that, is what i base their unstability on. Giving it a 1 in 11 chance of going off each time it is jarred (2 on 2d6).
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that canister shaped thing on the back of EVERY Storm Trooper. That is a thermal detonator.

...I feel very uneasy, we might be coming close to something of a contradiction in the Star Wars universe, and I don't mean a Prequel related one.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, from the quote he just put, i see that as unstable when it detonates.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, reading it carefully... you could say both mean a Thermal Detonator is unstable, and both mean only the Baridium is unstable.
But if Thermal Detonators are that unstable, why does every single storm trooper have one on their back in an easy to thwack place. It just seems extremely stupid and dangerous.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, theres a simple explination, the stormtroopers have been trained by the Taliban, we all know they are great at suicide bombings.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just doesn't make too much sense. What good are Storm Troopers that randomly vaporize each other? We already know that they do NOT randomly vaporize each other, so that is thrown right out.

Plus, the thermal detonator is described so much like a nuke. I prefer them being about as stable as a nuke. Nuclear weapons only go off when the precise implosion reaction of the cordite shell around the Plutonium sets it off. Only the trigger can set this off.
Now, thermite doesn't explode, it burns. And Baridium is made up, so, whatever.
Baridium is made up... gosh it all just falls apart right there. I like the way I have my micro-nukes work, it's at least somewhat more realistic.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to replace the Thermos with a Hydro Detonator....

and invent the sodium grenade....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree, several sources say the buldge on stormies belts are TDs, but no where on their equipment list is that given, though grenades are... So imo that is what the buldge is...
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is very true... i even went and looked on here... no TD
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we found a contradiction in the Star Wars universe. We accomplished something here... I feel dirty.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is that in the Star Wars universe, the term Thermal Detonator is used to refer to a number of explosive devices that use a similar means of detonation. These devices are constructed in vastly different ways, with varrying degrees of precaution, safeguard, and stability. The thermal Detonators used in construction most likely are ver unstable, as are the ones used and manufactured by terrorists, splinter groups, militants, and other lower tech organization. The ones manufactured by Imperial forces are most likely stabalized.

It can be compared to the term Nuke of today. This term is applied to a widely varried field of weapons and devices, using different means of construction and detonation, yet producing similar overall effects. It encompases Hydrogen Bombs, Helium Bombs, Atomic Detonators, Plutonium and Uranium 236 Atomic weapons, Nuclear weapons, and Thermonuclear weapons. Some of these are inherently more stable than others in both construction and transportation (A thermonuclear weapon simply will not detonate unless armed, and the explosive pack is triggered by the detonator...if the pack is damaged, or one of the "tiles" fails to detonate for whatever reason, it will not go nuclear). This is due to a lot of safeguards built in to the weapons themselves. The US has almost exclusively manufactured thermonuclear type weapons since the 80's, though other nations still manufacture a mix of the other types.
Even with these safeguards, the radioactive elements are highly unstable. If they are exposed, they will leak radiation, contaminating the area. This can lead to radiation poisoning, damage of electronics, and other effects. I am sure the Baradium in a thermal detonator would have similar effects if exposed, and would definately be considered unstable and dangerous in this context. A poorly made detonator could leak rads, contaminating the soldier carrying it, and everything around him, maybe even killing him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: