The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Advanced Chase/Race rules for vehicles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Advanced Chase/Race rules for vehicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Advanced Chase/Race rules for vehicles Reply with quote

I've been working on this project off and on for quite a while. My love of automotive performance is what inspired a character I made a while back and I've been trying to perfect this system. Share your ideas.

Vehicle Stats:

Acceleration (This stat is used when vehicles are moving slower than all-out speed).
Top End (This stat is used after vehicles have accelerated to all-out speed).
Braking (This stat is used to prepare for a maneuver or any other time it matters how well a vehicle can decelerate).
Maneuvering (Used when a vehicle needs to make complex/successive directional changes, such as a slalom).
Cornering (Represents how much speed a vehicle can carry through a continuous arc).
Hull (How tough the vehicle is).

So, here's my idea:

A basic "family" vehicle or beater would have a modifier of +0 on all stats, with a normal hull rating for a typical vehicle.

A hauling/utility vehicle would have tend to have penalties on most or all stats, with a high hull rating.

A cargo vehicle would be a lot like a hauling/utility vehicle, but probably with less hull.

A "muscle" vehicle would have a large bonus to acceleration, with a pretty good top end, but low ratings (and maybe penalties) on the other stats.

A high performance vehicle would have bonuses to all stats (this could even be a template that gets applied to any other vehicle, sort of like a trim-package upgrade).

A sports vehicle would have bonuses to all stats, though, it would have small cargo/passenger capacity.

I'll write up some vehicles based on real life cars to show an example, so that everyone can get an idea.

Honda Accord 4-cyl
Acceleration: +0
Top End: +0
Braking: +0
Maneuvering:+0
Cornering: +0
Hull: 2D

Honda Accord V6 with Sport Suspension
Acceleration: +3
Top End: +1
Maneuvering:+2
Cornering: +2

Dodge Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel
Acceleration: +2
Top End: -2
Braking: -2
Maneuvering:-4
Cornering: -4
Hull: 4D

Mazda Miata
Acceleration: +0
Top End: +0
Braking: +4
Maneuvering: +6
Cornering: +6

Chevrolet Camaro SS
Acceleration: +9
Top End: +6
Maneuvering: +0
Cornering: +0
Hull: 2D+1

Ferrari 458 Italia
Acceleration: +12
Top End: +8
Braking: +8
Maneuvering: +8
Cornering: +8

Now, the modifiers are added to the character's skill roll as a bonus or penalty. The character who rolls highest gains the most ground (or, in the case of braking, closes or widens the gap, winner's choice).

Finally, each vehicle would have a "cap" on its characteristics to represent that no matter how skilled a vehicle operator you are, your vehicle can only do so much. For example, if a Mini Cooper tried to drag race against a Corvette, it doesn't matter how good the driver is, the Mini will lose (unless the Corvette driver fails his operation roll). So, a Mini might have an acceleration cap of 15 (no matter how high you roll, you can't get better than a 15), while a Corvette might have a cap of 50.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: