The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Yet another Lightsaber Combat variant :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Yet another Lightsaber Combat variant :D
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Yet another Lightsaber Combat variant :D Reply with quote

Very Happy Although I think the rules work as they are, there is a tendency for people to claim that it overpowers the high level Jedi.
IMO they're supposed to be overpowered. One of the many reasons I disliked the d20 systems is because being a Jedi was nothing species. A lvl 10 soldier was everybit as powerful as a lvl 10 Jedi, this descriptors were just different. Anyhoo...

The power works essentially like in the RAW, with a few exeptions:

The Jedi splits his Sense dice between his attack and his parry with the lightsaber skill. (this also allows for different "styles" of fighting to be introduced as a simple mechanic).

The Jedi splits his Control dice between his added damage to his lightsaber and his ability to redirect blaster shots.

Example:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (as of the Battle of Naboo) draws his lightsaber as prepares to fight Darth Maul.
Kenobi's lightsaber skill is 7D+2 and his weapon deals 5D damage.
Kenobi's Control skill is 6D+2 and his Sense skill is 5D+2.
After succeeding on both rolls he does the following:

He splits his Sense between attack and parry, so he will have 10D to attack (7D+2 plus 2D+1) and 11D to parry (7D+2 plus 3D+1).

He adds 3D of his Control skill to his lightsaber damage for a total of 8D (3D + base damage of 5D) and uses the remaining 3D+2 to redirect any blaster bolts back towards any potential battle droids lurking in an ambush.

So in a nutshell Obi-Wan has the following:

Attacking with the lightsaber = 10D
Parrying and blocking blaster fire with the lightsaber = 11D
Redirecting blocked blaster fire = 3D+2
Damage with the lightsaber = 8D

Make any sense? Confused

Anyhoo I think it would do something about the Jedi being too overpowered and at the same time add some needed variety to the fighting of the Jedi.

Just my 2 cents...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. And it integrates well into the existing system.
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody else has an opinion on this?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterKazur wrote:
Nobody else has an opinion on this?
How often can Obi-wan reallocate the dice?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my only question as well.... I like this revamp so far.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming he could change it up at the top of the round...?

Once they wind up doing 1 on 1, there's no-one else around, so might as well swing all that extra control into damage.
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say he could change it at the top of each round. This way it'll work just like som of the martial arts in the game (like teräs käsi)

But I'll welcome any other suggestions?

I really like this option of the lightsaber combat power.
It takes some of the insane powerlevel away from the 8D-10D Jedi Knights, while still feeling like something WEG would have come up with. And it doesn't get bogged down in details. Feels very fast.

I will definately use it in my current game, when the Jedi character gains the Lightsaber combat power.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks interesting. And has some potential for adapting lightsaber forms ith the split.

My biggest reservation is with the damage/redirect split. There is much less incentive to split this than Sense. I'd be concerned about a character going all damage and not redirecting, or just going all redirect-especially when fighting a bunch of stormtroopers at range.

MAybe each style could cap how many dice could be allocated to each aspect, so only someone who is skilled at Form V could go total redirect?
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to place caps on the splits based on "forms". My argument for this is that it just doesn't go well with the other official rules.
If a Jedi is agressive and uses a "strong" style he would emphasize attack rolls (with sense) and damage (with control).
Vice versa if a Jedi is reserved and defensive oriented, he would do the opposite: favor parry and redirect.

I see no problem with a player putting all his control dice in damage and non in redirect.
In fact anyway you twist it, it can never be more powerful than the RAW.
In the official rules, you can add ALL of your control to damage and redirect and ALL of your sense to attack and parry.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have played with a revised LS Combat that increases the benefit for padawans and decreases the benefit for anyone with over 4D or 5D in force skills.

Lately I've been thinking that it may make more sense to have the Control affect LS attack and damage and Sense effect LS parry and parrying and redirecting blaster bolts. That way a defensive minded Jedi can focus points on Sense to increase parry while an offensive minded Jedi can focus more on Control to increase attack and damage.
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
We have played with a revised LS Combat that increases the benefit for padawans and decreases the benefit for anyone with over 4D or 5D in force skills.

Lately I've been thinking that it may make more sense to have the Control affect LS attack and damage and Sense effect LS parry and parrying and redirecting blaster bolts. That way a defensive minded Jedi can focus points on Sense to increase parry while an offensive minded Jedi can focus more on Control to increase attack and damage.

Could work. Exept Control is really the basis of Defense against attacks for every Force Power in the game, so a defensive minded character would use lots of CP to increase Control as it is. Not really Sense.

But like I said, I guess it could work. If anything my idea was closer to the RAW but yours is just as valid, IMO, if thats the way you wanna go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: