The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Indemnity-class Star Destroyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Indemnity-class Star Destroyer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Indemnity-class Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Here's an unofficial class of special operations star destroyer I cooked up, for potential use in the future. I envision it as a future model of destroyer from well after the battle of Endor. (Decades; maybe centuries.) that could get sucked back in time. I don't suppose it has to be, though. Operationally, it's something like an updated and overpowered Venator-class. It carries wings of fighters and light craft, but little to no ground forces. If troops are carried, they are usually marines for use in boarding operations. The Indemnity-class can enter an atmosphere, but cannot land. In fleet engagements, it is primarily used as a combination of a carrier and the Naval equivalent of artillery support, providing long range and withering fire with it's massive focused turbolaser pulsor.
Quote:
Craft: Indemnity-class Star Destroyer
Type: Special operations Star Destroyer
Size: Capital
Length: 2500 meters
Crew: 8,500 skeleton: 2500/+10, 555 gunners
Passengers: 5,000
Cargo: 10,000 tons
Consumables: 1 year
Cost: Valued at 200 million credits, not including fighters
Hyperdrive: x1, quiet reversion mode: x2
Maneuverability: 2D, running quiet: 1D
Space: 8, running quiet: 4
Atmosphere: 365
Hull: 8D
Shields: 4D
Sensors:
Passive: 65/2D
Scan: 125/3D+2
Search: 250/4D+2
Focus: 5D+2

Weapons:
10 Heavy Turbolaser Batteries: Arcs: Turret, Fire Control: 3D, Damage: 10D, Range: 3-15/35/75
30 Medium Ion Batteries: Arcs: Turret, Fire Control: 4D, Damage: 5D, Range: 1-10/25/50
12 Assault Concussion Missile Tubes: Arcs: 4 Front. 3 Left, Right. 2 Back. Fire Control: 2D, Damage: 9D, Range: 1-5/30/60, Magazine: 30 Each
Focused Turbolaser Pulsor: Scale: Death Star, Arcs: Front, Fire Control: 3D, Damage: 5D, Range: 5-30/75/150, Fire Rate: 1/3
8 Tractor Beams: Arcs: 3 Front. 2 Left, Right. 1 Back. Fire Control: 2D, Damage: 6D, Range: 1-5/30/60
50 Light Turbolasers: Scale: Starfighter, Arcs: Turret, Fire Control: 4D, Damage: 7D, Range 1-3/12/25
Gravity Well Projector: Arc: Front, Fire Control: 6D, Range: 15-30/75/150

Fighters:
72 Interceptors
72 Space Superiority Fighters
12 Gunboats
12 Torpedo Boats
12 Strike Bombers

Quiet Running:
Indemnity-class destroyers are fitted with two long projections from the stern that house equipment designed to cool and demagnetize the engine exhaust, making it much less apparent to long-range sensors. Unfortunately, due to the massive energy demand of such a system, 2 out of 4 engines could not be incorporated, causing a 50% reduction in speed when the quiet running system is in use. In addition to this system is an advanced hyperdrive designed to reduce the sensor signature of reversion to realspace. This system also carries a tradeoff, requiring convolutions to the route and reversion vectors that result in a doubling of the time spent in hyperspace.
(+3D difficulty to sensors attempting to detect or identify beyond visual range while quiet running system is active.)

If you have Google SketchUp, you can download a 3D model of it here. If you don't have SketchUp and don't want it (it's free), you can still view a rotatable 3D rendering of it and a few of my other models by following the link.

Complete Starship Construction System
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realise the Venator cannot physically support its hangar specifications...

they should have said 192 V-Wings or 192 Eta-2 Actis interceptors, etc.
The maximum capacity, just in terms of spatial area can support 192 speeder sized craft like the Actis all crammed in together and piled on top of one another, maybe, I guess.

I'm thinking more like 120 looks likely, plus drop ships in the underside staging hold. A modern forward airfield complex IRL is bigger than a Venator. You'd operate about forty aircraft in war operations from it.

I did actually revise the ISD-I stats by following the film models and original LFM concept art and design specifications. This is an excerpt from my forthcoming Harrin Sector Galaxy Guide.

Craft: Kuat Drive Yards/Rendili StarDrive Imperator I class Star Destroyer
Affiliation: Empire
Era: Rise of the Empire
Type: heavy siege battlecruiser and auxiliary flagship
Scale: Capital
Length: 1,680 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Star Destroyer
Crew: 36,810 (including Naval Security Regiment of 3,500 troops commanded by the ship’s captain), gunners: 115, skeleton: 5,000/+10
Crew Skill: Astrogation 5D, capital ship gunnery 6D+2, capital ship piloting 6D, capital ship repair 7D, capital ship shields 6D, capital ship weapons repair 5D, command: Imperial Forces 8D, communications 5D+2, comp.prog/repair 7D+1, sensors 6D, starship weapons repair 7D+2, tactics: capital ships 4D
Passengers: 9,700 (Stormtrooper Legion commanded by a COMPNOR Colonel)
Cargo Capacity: 36,000 metric tons
Consumables: 6 years (nominal service prior to maintenance refit, actual range is unlimited)
Hyperdrive Motivator: class 2 (Battle of Endor era production introduces class 1 hyperdrives)
Hyperdrive Backup: class 8 triple system redundancy (3 jumps prior to overhaul)
Nav Computer: AI computer core with HoloNet-transceiver datalink and backup
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 6 (60 MGLT flank speed)
Hull: 7D
Shields: 5D
Sensors:
Passive: 50/1D
Scan: 100/3D
Search: 200/4D
Focus: 6/4D+2
Weapons:
6 Heavy Double Turbolaser Turrets
Fire Arc: 3 front/right/back, 3 front/left/back
Crew: 5
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 3-15/30/60
Atmosphere Range: 6-30/60/120 km
Damage: 10D
2 Heavy Ion Cannon Turrets
Fire Arc: 1 front/right/back, 1 front/left/back
Fire Control: 2D+2
Space Range: 1-10/25/50
Atmosphere Range: 2-20/50/100 km
Damage: 7D
3 Axial Defence Lasers (axial reaction turbolasers)
Fire arc: 3 front/left/right ahead of superstructure
Scale: starfighter
Crew: 3
Skill: starship gunnery
Fire control: 4D+2
Space range: 1-5/15/30
Atmosphere range: 100-10km/30/60km
Damage: 7D
4 Medium Turbolaser Batteries
Fire arc: 1 lateral front/left, 1 lateral front/right, 1 back superstructure, 1 dorsal hangar turret
Crew: 4
Skill: capital ship gunnery
Fire control: 3D
Space range: 3-15/35/75
Atmosphere range: 5-30km/70/150km
Damage: 6D
8 Concussion Missile Launchers (80 missiles normally carried)
Fire arc: lateral firing tubes track to any firing arc
Skill: capital ship gunnery
Fire control: 4D
Space range: 2-12/30/60
Atmosphere range: 1-25km/60/120km
Damage: 9D* (equivalent to 5Mt for planetary bombardment, irradiates battlefield)
* note: these weapons do cumulative damage against planetary or station shields but warhead harmonics are ineffective against starship shields.
2 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Arc: 1 front, 1 dorsal hangar turret
Crew: 10
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km
Damage: 6D
Starfighter Complement:
48 TIE/ln starfighters, 12 TIE/rc tactical starfighters, 12 TIE Bomber attack starfighters, 2 Skipray Blastboats, Lambda class, Mu class and Gamma class shuttles, long range scout ships, troop dropships and utility craft
Ground/Air Complement:
20 AT-ATs and 30 AT-STs, prefabricated garrison base, miscellaneous speeders
* note that conceivably hundreds of starfighter scale point defence cannon can and are likely to have been fitted through the craft's lateral trenches and service areas. This would depend largely on the commissioned fitment, the Executor super star destroyer for example definitely has at least a hundred superfluous point defence lasers spread throughout the superstructures, trenches and cavities. These can be seen firing in RotJ.

Of course if you've also studied the models you'll realise the Avenger class, commonly called the ISD-II had a main armament refit requested by Vader, which ostensibly was standardised as an alternative.
The 8 main turrets were all swapped for octuple medium turbolaser battery-turrets, so that had 64 guns on a frontal broadside, that's pretty scary.

Still even the regular ISD-I, with a more canonical kind of specs than our familiar WEG ones, has a 13d6 frontal broadside on those main guns. You don't want to be in front of one, ever.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
You realise the Venator cannot physically support its hangar specifications...

Well, seeing as the Indemnity-class is something on the order of 8-10 times the volume of the Venator-class, I don't think that's so much of a problem here.
vanir wrote:

I did actually revise the ISD-I stats by following the film models and original LFM concept art and design specifications.

I did something very similar about halfway down this page.
vanir wrote:

Of course if you've also studied the models you'll realise the Avenger class, commonly called the ISD-II had a main armament refit requested by Vader, which ostensibly was standardised as an alternative.
The 8 main turrets were all swapped for octuple medium turbolaser battery-turrets, so that had 64 guns on a frontal broadside, that's pretty scary.

Still even the regular ISD-I, with a more canonical kind of specs than our familiar WEG ones, has a 13d6 frontal broadside on those main guns. You don't want to be in front of one, ever.

Yeah, the Indemnity's broadside was designed to be mostly comparable to an ISD-I in terms of the length:firepower ratio. 13D+ on the bow, 12D+ each side independently, and that's not counting the ion guns, the turbolaser pulsor, or the ACM tubes. It's a mean machine, but you don't fully realize how mean until you import it into Google Earth, hovering a hundred feet above your house!

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool 3D tool! I was playing around with it a bit while my fiance laughed about how amazed I was "flying around a piece of cardboard."

Stats seem ok, I'm just tired of the super laser ships flying around. First 2 Death Stars, then the Eclipse, now the Indemnity, which for all we know may just be 1 out of several in a fleet...

There comes a time, way down the timeline, when I think fleet battle wouldn't be worth fighting, when each side brings their capital ships with super lasers, each setting a course for their enemy's home world and super lasers the planet killing everyone they're hoping for. Even when compared with the Death Star's 16D, 5D is enough to completely obliterate any capital ship existing. So if two fleets of super laser toting capital ships show up to fight one another, whoever wins initiative obliterates the enemy fleet. (Assuming there are multiple artillery support ships like this one.)

Even the Eclipse has an 11D limit that its on-board reactors could handle each day, and that ship is nearly 8 times the size of yours.

For long range artillery support, why not use the Commerce guild support ship as a model instead of a super laser?

Quote:
Prow Heavy Turbolaser Cannon
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 30
Space Range: 3-15/35/75

Other than the super laser, the stats look ok to me, especially for something that is from possibly centuries in the future. If you wanted to make it more threatening, because of its advanced tech, it gets a flat +10 to damage & soak against all Classic era ships. That means that even the main artillery gun taken directly from the Commerce support ship would do 10D+10 damage, averaging 45 capital scale damage every time it fires. More than enough to completely mess up most ships throughout either the empire or the rebellion.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Cool 3D tool! I was playing around with it a bit while my fiance laughed about how amazed I was "flying around a piece of cardboard."

Stats seem ok, I'm just tired of the super laser ships flying around. First 2 Death Stars, then the Eclipse, now the Indemnity, which for all we know may just be 1 out of several in a fleet...

There comes a time, way down the timeline, when I think fleet battle wouldn't be worth fighting, when each side brings their capital ships with super lasers, each setting a course for their enemy's home world and super lasers the planet killing everyone they're hoping for. Even when compared with the Death Star's 16D, 5D is enough to completely obliterate any capital ship existing. So if two fleets of super laser toting capital ships show up to fight one another, whoever wins initiative obliterates the enemy fleet. (Assuming there are multiple artillery support ships like this one.)

Even the Eclipse has an 11D limit that its on-board reactors could handle each day, and that ship is nearly 8 times the size of yours.

For long range artillery support, why not use the Commerce guild support ship as a model instead of a super laser?

Quote:
Prow Heavy Turbolaser Cannon
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 30
Space Range: 3-15/35/75

Other than the super laser, the stats look ok to me, especially for something that is from possibly centuries in the future. If you wanted to make it more threatening, because of its advanced tech, it gets a flat +10 to damage & soak against all Classic era ships. That means that even the main artillery gun taken directly from the Commerce support ship would do 10D+10 damage, averaging 45 capital scale damage every time it fires. More than enough to completely mess up most ships throughout either the empire or the rebellion.

Thanks for the feedback. I use 2E die cap rules for scale, and the pulsor is designed for those rules. Under the die cap system you can reasonably expect a single shot from the pulsor to heavily damage an ISD, but destroying it would require a high roll. Most low rolls would lightly damage one. I'm not sure how many dice there are between the Capital and Death Star scales in 2R&E rules, but I expect you'd need to change the gun to 12-13D damage capital scale if you wanted it to work with them.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathstar Scale gets +12D scale bonus to damage in R&E, making your cannon blasting away at 17D, more than enough to obliterate everything below a super star destroyer.

How do they cap the dice for 2E?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Death Star Scale damage is rolled normally, but the capital scale hull dice are capped at 1, so 2 out of three times, the ISD would roll 10, while the Pulsor would average around 17 or 18.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was capped at 1, wouldn't the soak roll be limited to 1 as the highest that any die rolls? So every soak roll by an ISD would be 10, and the Pulsor would average around 17.5, right?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's mostly right, but if the ISD gets exploding sixes or wild die failures, the total can change from 10.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed you got mostly where I did with the ISD-I revision, although I also used a forcenet blog going into detail about it, some concept art of the original ISD and of course had my own interpretation of some speculation.

I was never sure about the ventral armament. So far the weapons are above the plane of the hull, although the lateral quad turbolasers (which I've referred to as medium batteries) can target ventrally or dorsally in elevation.

There are some turbolasers mounted ventrally, two single pieces around the hangar bays and two more aft ahead of the engine complexes.
I listed them as another medium battery, as the hangar area is a natural target in capital warfare against ships of the line. MonCal cruisers would seek to attack on two facings so as to get firing solutions on the hangar and hold magazines, hence the heavy hull and blast shield armour.

These I've placed as capital scale medium guns then.

The three dorsal turrets appear to be single barrel guns, definitely fast tracking lighter pieces with enhanced fire control, and they ostensibly protect the bridge area from close starfighter attack, I've naturally placed these as starfighter scale but they're the only dedicated small vessel screens in a standard fit.
There is justification for more point defence lasers on the Executor class but I don't see very much for the ISD. There aren't that many places to put them aside the lateral maintenance trench. These would be close blaster weapons in RPG purposes rendered largely superfluous by the very high powered bridge screening battery.

I would suggest loosely, any number of 2D/2D blaster cannon may be fitted as point defence weapons around the vessel but they're just atmosphere and piloting environment more than individually rolled threats I should think.

I mean there's also the cinematic experience during gameplay to think of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: