The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wookiee Bowcasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Wookiee Bowcasters Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it not be argued that Chewie pulled the trigger more than once? Or that particular round was designed to release multiple bolts within split seconds of each other when the round was fired? Or that Chewie's bowcaster is different from the style designed in the game mechanics because each individual Wookiee usually designs and builds their own based on a basic design and the game mechanics offer the basic design?

Wanted Poster
Warhippo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to "Star Wars The Essential Guide To Weapons and Technology" (by Boxtree) "the Bowcaster is essentially a magnetic accelerator with twin polarizers that use alternating polarity pulses to accelerate a highly tensile metal bowstring and propel an explosive quarrel at extremely high speed". It goes on to explain that the reason the quarrel looks like a blaster beam is because it is sheathed in an "energy envelope that channels the quarrel's explosive force into the target".

It also says that it delivers an equivalent amount of damage as a blaster pistol but is considerably less advanced.

Judging by this, the rules are somewhat inaccurate as the bowcaster fires a physical projectile enshrouded with an energy matrix which imparts an explosive (ie kinetic) energy. I would surmise that it would therefore cause both physical and energy damage to it's target.

Finally, as to the unusual footage of Chewie using a Bowcaster, the book explains that Chewbacca's bowcaster has been fitted with an automatic cocking system. No doubt this would enable him to fire quite rapidly.

There are several different additions that can be made to bowcasters and IMHO it doesn't require too large a leap of faith to expect that quarrels with a larger explosve charge (ie an area effect) or quarrels with multiple warheads could be employed.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhippo wrote:
Finally, as to the unusual footage of Chewie using a Bowcaster, the book explains that Chewbacca's bowcaster has been fitted with an automatic cocking system. No doubt this would enable him to fire quite rapidly.

Thanks for mentioning htis, I must have missed it (I rarely look at the right ups for major movie characters as they rarely appear in my games). I'll look at the right ups for Chewie's bowcaster.

Warhippo wrote:
There are several different additions that can be made to bowcasters and IMHO it doesn't require too large a leap of faith to expect that quarrels with a larger explosve charge (ie an area effect) or quarrels with multiple warheads could be employed.

New additions and modifications for bowcasters. Seems reasonable that since each Wookie build his own bowcaster, no 2 would be exactly alike. Varrying strengths, capabilities, features. I'll have to keep that in mind.
Warhippo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the Wookies were enslaved by the Empire and, until shortly after the Return of the Jedi, production of bowcasters would have been very limited. The wookies didn't just make thier own but had Wookie weaponsmiths making them to their specification.

I'd suggest that manufacture / modifications would be difficult during this period.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, true... but the idea of custom mods to bowcasters gives me some new ways to have a particular Wookie NPC stand out just a little bit more. And gives new reasons why a Wookie might cling to his bowcaster instead of trading it in for a Heavy Blaster.
Also their is the Idea that a Bowcaster might have a heritage to it as well. A bowcaster being handed down, father to son. Possibly decorated with status symbols. All kinds of new ideas.
Warhippo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you're right on all counts (particularly the handed-down aspect which could make for a really cool theme).

I'm not suggesting that mods wouldn't be possible just harder (which in itself adds to the whole gaming experience).

eg the player wants to mod their BC but have to go on what turns out to be a long quest in search of one of the few Wookie weaponsmiths who has managed to slip through the grasp of the Emp.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if a Wookie PC wanted to have the Bowcaster Repair skill (needed to make, repair, and Modify Bowcasters) all the more reason for him to be an Outlaw to the empire. He would also have to closely guard the secret of that knowlege, as people being aware of it's existance would be dangerous to him. As for the process, I would handle it similar to the rules for Modding Blasters I suppose. And it's like an instant plot hook right there.
The knowledge itself could have been handed down from generation to generation, just as a physical weapon could have.

Same goes for an NPC, it would add a sense of renound to the character, and give a reason for a PC (and the empire) to seek him out.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or, if a Wookie PC wanted to have the Bowcaster Repair skill (needed to make, repair, and Modify Bowcasters) all the more reason for him to be an Outlaw to the empire.
I thought that every wookie was making his own bowcaster before becomming adult.

IMHO, since wookies have a long lifespan, most of them could have learned how to create/repair a bowcaster even before the apparition of the Empire. Question
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krapou wrote:
I thought that every wookie was making his own bowcaster before becomming adult.

IMHO, since wookies have a long lifespan, most of them could have learned how to create/repair a bowcaster even before the apparition of the Empire. Question

There seems to be some conflicting information within both official and EU sources. Some indicate every Wookie builds his own bowcaster, others indicate that specialized weaponsmiths build the bowcaster to each Wookies specifications. I leave it as within each GM's control, and was offering more ideas to allow for expanding.
Personally, I treat it as one of those skills that if you don't write it in on the character sheet, you must leanr it later by buying it up to your attribute level. Same with a few other skills.
Warhippo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that it's both. Not every Wookie is going to skilled in it and even if they were, some would be better than others. Hence, some of the very best BC craftsmen would no doubt become weaponsmiths.

The problem with saying that all Wookies have the skill is that straight away you have to provide Wookie characters with extra points for BC Repair or (more likely but equally unsatisfactory) restrict Wookie characters so that some of their points go towards that skill.

Not only that skill but what about the use of BC's? Should we force Wookie characters to pick that skill? Surely not.

Personally I have it that many Wookies have or later learn and develop the various BC skills but some Wookie NPCs are very skilled in the manufacture, repair and modification of BC's exist. However due to the fact that the Wookie people are enslaved to the Empire, the BC weaponsmiths are hard to locate / meet with.

That's wot I fink.
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Bowcaster Reply with quote

Ah heck..I just raised the damage to like 5D+2 or 6D+2 with all the cocking rules. I like it.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, could it be that the reasoning for why they cannot use normal blaster pistols is because they cannot fit their fingers where the trigger is?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowcaseters have triggers as well.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But aren't they exposed, unlike a normal pistol?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your sorta right about it being exposed, but as you can see it is effectivly just as restrictive as a blaster would be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: