The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Newtonian Space movement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Newtonian Space movement Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The 'arguement' about the slow travelling laser bursts has been put forth before. Also in personal combat.e.

semi-official explanation for that. According to the "Incredible Cross Sections" book, the glowing light that we see in the films isn't actually the blaster bolt, but some sort of energy leakage after effect. Supposedly the actual bolt is traveling faster. Sounds good except that object hit don't explode until the "light" reaches them.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
Never mind... all sublight engines in the Star Trek RPG are expressed in fractions of light speed. Fastest running a .95 x speed of light.

Not only that, but they tend to be expressed in terms of millicochranes, so it looks like Trek's sublight engines are generating a warp field for propulsion So Trek movement isn't Newtonian. That would explain why Ships in Trek can accelerate to high fractions of lightspeed so quickly..

Despite the fact that they've pretty clearly stated that impulse drives do not generate warp fields... Rolling Eyes

Why must people check their consistency at the the door when they write sci-fi?

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
The 'arguement' about the slow travelling laser bursts has been put forth before. Also in personal combat.e.

semi-official explanation for that. According to the "Incredible Cross Sections" book, the glowing light that we see in the films isn't actually the blaster bolt, but some sort of energy leakage after effect. Supposedly the actual bolt is traveling faster. Sounds good except that object hit don't explode until the "light" reaches them.

Yeah. Basically the 'light' is moving slowly because it looked better in the movies.. (or the fact that it was 'hand drawn').. Laughing
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

Despite the fact that they've pretty clearly stated that impulse drives do not generate warp fields... Rolling Eyes

Have they? A lot of things fans just assumed. And there has been some redefining done along the way. Not to mention the occasional error. For years fandom had the Constitution-class at 190,000 tons displacement, due to a misunderstanding of the term "deadweight tonnage".

Fallon Kell wrote:

Why must people check their consistency at the the door when they write sci-fi?

More like new writers don't want to be "limited" by the show's history. Both Enterprise and the J.J. Adams film used time travel to get around continuity Although I, for one, don't like it when they do that..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abrams is a soap opera writer.

Sorry, I don't like his style.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

Have they? A lot of things fans just assumed. And there has been some redefining done along the way. Not to mention the occasional error. For years fandom had the Constitution-class at 190,000 tons displacement, due to a misunderstanding of the term "deadweight tonnage".
I read it in the Starship Enterprise Technical Journal or something like that. They even took the time to mention that warp travel doesn't have relativistic effects on how much passage of time you experience, but that impulse does.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Don't be sorry,you don't have to like his style. I don't like it either.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I read it in the Starship Enterprise Technical Journal or something like that. They even took the time to mention that warp travel doesn't have relativistic effects on how much passage of time you experience, but that impulse does.

You can't take the TMs very seriously, especially ones from the latter series. They have a tendency to retcon, and then pull a 1984. And even the on-screen stuff is contradictory.

Heck, even the United Federation of Planets is a retcon!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, everything I've ever seen on impulse drives says they don't generate warp fields. Then they go and measure the power of impulse drives in milicochranes... Do they even care? I mean, it's not the casual Star Trek fan crowd that plays a trekkie RPG. It's the kind of hard-core fans who want consistency.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I mean, it's not the casual Star Trek fan crowd that plays a trekkie RPG. It's the kind of hard-core fans who want consistency.
We played Star Trek back in the 1990s before we switched to playing Star Wars. I wouldn't say we were at all hard-core, probably more casual fans. We used a very rules light version of the FASA game - which did the job pretty well. It's actually the only RPG I've played where improvement in skills/stats was practically nil.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Very Happy
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Very Happy

Did I mention that I have the death sentence on me in twelve star systems? That's Wink
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Still, everything I've ever seen on impulse drives says they don't generate warp fields. Then they go and measure the power of impulse drives in milicochranes... Do they even care? I mean, it's not the casual Star Trek fan crowd that plays a trekkie RPG. It's the kind of hard-core fans who want consistency.

Well, the millicochrane thing harks back to the TNG TM, so that's something like 20 years ago.

And it is TV. We should be grateful that it is a consistent as it is. It could have been a lot worse. And up until the last TV series it didn't retcon things as much or as badly as Star Wars. At least it doesn't have any "Edith Keeler shot first" retconns!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: