The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Rules for Dun Moch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> D6 Rules for Dun Moch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: D6 Rules for Dun Moch Reply with quote

So, Dun Moch figures pretty strongly in lightsaber combat, covering the verbal sparring that passes back and forth over the clashing lightsaber blades. Even the Jedi seem to make use of their own version of it, although they probably don't call it Dun Moch. I've thought long and hard about a way to introduce it to D6, and after a few false starts, I've come up with this:

D6 Rules for Dun Moch

Using Dun Moch in lightsaber combat is linked to initiative. Whoever wins initiative for that round may choose to make a Dun Moch attack. He may also choose not to, as MAPs are applied as normal for all skill rolls, and in a pitched battle, the adept may decide that any advantage provided by a successful Dun Moch attack may not be worth the risks elsewhere. Also, if the initiative winner chooses to forfeit his action (or wait for his opponent to act first), the opponent may make a Dun Moch attack. However, the initiative winner may still choose to make a Dun Moch attack even if he chooses not to attack physically.

To initiate a Dun Moch attack, the attacker rolls his Sense dice, then compares the result to the following table:

1-12 = +1D
13-24 = +2D
25-36 = +3D
37-48 = +4D
(For every additional 12 points, increase the bonus by +1D)

The resulting bonus is added to the Dun Moch adept's Intimidation skill

The defender counters by rolling his Control dice for a bonus on the same table, then adding that bonus to his Willpower skill. If the Dun Moch adept's roll is lower than that of his target, nothing happens. If it is higher, then apply the result to the same result chart above, and apply the result as a penalty to the target character's actions the next round (including any subsequent Dun Moch rolls).

However, Dun Moch is not a guaranteed result, as sometimes the taunting results in a surge of rage or an unexpected bolstering of the opponent's spirit. On a confirmed Wild Dice result (failure by the Dun Moch practitioner or success by his target), the target receives a temporary Force Point that must be used in the next round or it is lost. If the Dun Moch target kills his opponent while using this Force point, he automatically receives a DSP.

Example: Darth Zilla, with 8D Sense and 9D Intimidation is facing Jedi Knight Generic Antilles, with 7D Control and 8D Willpower. Zilla wins the initiative, and chooses to stand fast while initiating a Dun Moch attack, so he rolls his 8D (-1D MAP) Sense for a result of 28 (for +3D bonus). Generic rolls his 7D Control (-1D MAP) for a result of 22 (for a +2D bonus). The two then roll their respective skills: Zilla rolls 11D (9D Intimidation + 3D Sense Bonus - 1D MAP for a result of 37), against Antilles' 9D (8D Willpower + 2D Control Bonus - 1D MAP for a result of 30). Zilla beats Antilles by 7 points, resulting in a -1D penalty to all of his actions the following round.

EDIT: Jedi Knights, while still more than willing to use psychological maneuvering against an opponent, usually take a less confrontational approach, by using Persuasion instead of Intimidation.

EDIT 2: The defending character may choose to spend CPs to soak a bad roll, but is limited to a maximum of 5 CPs per roll, as with other reaction skills.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author's Note:

Any accurate treatment of Dun Moch in D6 has to account for several factors. While it is expressed verbally, there is a definite Force powers aspect to it ("I sense great fear in you, Skywalker." "Gooood. I can feel your anger."). However, the verbal aspect of Dun Moch is a very definite part of the film experience, so any good rule needs to incorporate the appropriate non-FS skills (Intimidation or Persuasion versus Willpower), with bonuses similar to Enhance Attribute. Unfortunately, Enhance Attribute is a Control power, so it doesn't fit with a Jedi being able to sense the emotions and weaknesses of others. Once I designed unique rules for that using Sense, it seemed easier to use the same table to enhance the defender's ability to resist Dun Moch rather than using Enhance Attribute, for simplicity's sake.

As for the effect of a successful Dun Moch attack, I toyed with several different variations, including the possibility of introducing psychological effects, with rules for how a character acts while under the effect of a given mindset, such as fear or anger. Ultimately, I decided that the mindset didn't matter nearly as much as the result; in either case, the character is suffering from diminished capacity due to emotional stress, and the best way to express that in a D6 game is through dice penalties. Whether the character is fighting his own fear and the smothering blackness of his opponent's inner darkness, or attacking his opponent in a blind rage, he is not fighting as well as he normally would. Therefore, dice penalties.

Ideally, I'd like to include some sort of rule for Intimidation and Persuasion having different results, but I think that would just complicate things even more. For now, I'll just leave it so that the Dun Moch practitioner may use either Intimidation or Persuasion for Dun Moch attacks as a reflection of his own psyche.

Another avenue worth exploring would be the potential for the occasional non-verbal Dun Moch attack. It could be argued that Darth Maul's silent taunting of Obi-Wan after he stabbed Qui-Gon was a form of psychological attack, much like Dun Moch, and it would certainly reflect Obi-wan's ferocious initial attack...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an afterthought, I'm thinking the target of a Dun Moch attack should also get a -5 penalty for every DSP they have.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
As an afterthought, I'm thinking the target of a Dun Moch attack should also get a -5 penalty for every DSP they have.

Probably a good idea.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Probably a good idea.

Or maybe a -1D penalty per DSP, reflecting the erratic nature of the Dark Side?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, my original rule, as proposed above, centers around the use of Intimidation. However, film evidence would suggest that both Jedi and Sith use either Persuasion or Intimidation, depending on the situation. I'm currently at a loss as to how to apply that. Specifically, which skill works best when? Could that be a GM call, based on whatever the character's background is? Would the GM have some insight into whatever the character's stated goal is on the character sheet, and use Persuasion to try to sway them to his side? Looking for serious discussion on this one.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me state up fron that I have not made a study of Dun Moch.

It seems like in the films and other sources, Dark Siders are often trying to do one of three things in a duel (aside from killing their opponenet).

(1) Make their opponent afraid. Typically this has three goals: (i) to weaken their opponent to get an advantage in combat, (ii) to enforce or reinforce a Dark Side or Sith dominance and hierarchy, and (iii) to cause their opponent to reach out to the Dark Side bacause they are afraid.

Intimidation works best for inducing fear. I suspect all instances of fear are via some form of intimidation whether it is threats directed at the opponent or at those people and things the opponent values and cares about. This is playing on fear of losing something or someone that the opponent is attached to.

(2) Make their opponent angry. Typically this has three goals: (i) to force their opponent to act unthinkingly or without strategy to gain an advantage in combat, (ii) to continue the current combat rather than reacting to events outside the combat, and (iii) to cause their opponent to reach out to the Dark Side in anger.

Failed Intimidation (intentional or not) can inspire anger. Especially if the opponent opposes Intimidation with their own Intimidation rather than with Willpower. (We allow Intimidation to resist Intimidation - though it tends to up the ante as the two are basically in a dominance stare down.) In addition, Con or Persuasion might be used to try to more directly induce anger in an opponent.

(3) To seduce their opponent. Typically this has the goal of getting the opponent to accept the Dark Side either by willingly embracing the power of the Dark Side or due to their reaching out to the Dark Side in uncontrolled anger or fear.

Con or Persuasion seems best suited for seducing an opponent. Which we see Palpatine using, is hard to say. Since Palps lies a lot, it is hard to tell when he is really telling the truth. He seldom, if ever, tells all the truth.

Don't know if this helps you any.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it helps a lot. You gave me a lot to think about here...

It seems as though a lot of this would be decided by the GM. I think it was ZzaphodD who has the little black dice out to represent the call of the Dark Side (which was an effect that I really liked). I like the mechanic that I cam up with, but I'm beginning to think that there should be multiple effects, depending on the approach that the Sith Lord in question takes, and the proper approach should be left up to the GM, with input from the player as to his character's background, and what sort of approach would be more appropriate...

schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Have you been able to playtest this recently? This looks like a viable system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...Have you been able to playtest this recently? This looks like a viable system.

Not yet. My group is supposed to meet this weekend, but I'm going out on Shasta Lake on a houseboat. If you want to try it out for me, I'd love to get some feedback.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the biggest challenge I'm currently facing is whether to leave it in its current workable form or to make it more detailed and realistic based on the information Bren provided...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I guess the biggest challenge I'm currently facing is whether to leave it in its current workable form or to make it more detailed and realistic based on the information Bren provided...
If you have a chance to playtest and your group is tolerant of repeated or iterative rules tweaking, I'd suggest you playtest early and often. If your group is intolerant of repeated rules tweaking, I'd wait to test until you think you are done tweaking so you don't overly confuse and annoy the players/playtesters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this.. i wonder if there is a variant that is more like the user succeeds, the target needs to make willpower roll of XYZ or be required to take a DSP... An insidious way to force them to turn..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go that route if you like. I have a version that I like as part of my Dueling Sabers rules (which are already pretty complicated as it is).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: