The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Installing a Floor in the House (Rules)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Installing a Floor in the House (Rules)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Installing a Floor in the House (Rules) Reply with quote

I've discussed this with a couple of you, and the consensus so far seems very positive, but I figured I'd put it out there for the entire forum to remark on.

Here's the basic premise: I have been looking for a way to improve dice "stability" without compromising the randomness of the dice. This would have the added benefit of strengthening the role that the Wild Die plays.

I've always thought that the dice had too great a range on the bottom end. Conceivably, someone rolling 6D could roll a six, someone rolling 10D could roll a ten, and someone rolling 12D could roll a twelve. This seems rather silly, not just for skills, but especially when you're talking about hull die codes and the like. Take into consideration that a one on the Wild Die could reduce a total further (subtract the 1 on the Wild Die and the highest die from the total), and someone could conceivably roll 6D and get a four.

We can always play with the upper end of dice ranges, by increasing the number of dice rolled. That solution has never been a hard one. But while increasing the number of dice adds to the upper range in increments of six, it only adds to the lower range in increments of one, increasing the disparity between the opposite ends of the possible totals. Even changing the actual type (sides) of dice used doesn't fix this problem. We don't have a way of raising the "floor" on rolls without disproportionately increasing the "ceiling".

I propose putting a limit on how poorly a given die code can roll. I do not want to eliminate the possibility of bad rolls for a given die code, just absurdly atrocious ones. Really bad rolls should be a product of chance (the Wild Die), not a shortcoming of the system. I finally figured out a way that is both easy to implement, and effective at giving stability to the dice ranges without eliminating "regular" bad rolls.

For any given die code, there is a set minimum that the roll can total before the aftereffects of a 1 or a 6 on the Wild Die are taken into account. Call it a minimum, a floor, a surety (my favorite), whatever. So that one does not have to continually refer to a chart in order to check to see what the minimum is, you'd begin writing die codes with the minimum at the end. For instance, you'd write 3D as 3D(5), and 5D+2 as 5D+2(13). The method for determining a die code's minimum is thus:

Starting at 3D, the minimum is 5. There is no minimum enforced for die codes of less than 3D. If you roll 2D and get a 2, that's what you get. A minimum of 5 for a die code of 3D means that if you roll 3D and get a 2[WD], 1, 1, it counts as a 5 instead of a 4. Since the minimum is enforced before the aftereffects of the Wild Die are taken into an account, let's show what happens when someone rolls a one on the Wild Die and the Gamemaster decides to subtract the Wild Die and the highest die from the total. As always, a GM could choose to either have the 1 on the Wild Die cause a complication, add the total up normally, or do as we're about to do and subtract both the Wild Die and the highest die from the total. A roll of 3D resulting in a 1[WD], 2, 1 would then count as a 2 (minimum of 5 - 1[WD] - 2 = 2).

So, what about other die codes? With each pip increment, the minimum goes up by one as well. Here's a breakdown showing this progression:

I feel pretty satisfied with this so far. I know of one at least one GM who would like to see an online dice roller set up to make rolls based on my method; if anyone has any idea how to do that, please let me know.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of full disclosure: (1) I don't see the low rolls as a frequent enough problem to want significantly change the simple dice roll system of D6 to find a correction. (2) In most cases the use of CPs and FPs fix the problem when and if it arises. (3) The only exception to this is for hull values for vehicles where (2) does not apply and for that I would allow CPs to be used anyway or relying on GM fiat rather than blowing up a ship full of PCs on a single bad hull roll.

So the "Range" and "Orig. Range" columns ignore the effects of the wild die, right? I think it would be beneficial to also include the floor of the range including the effects of the wild die since this strongly effects your effective floor, especially at low levels.

For example, rolling 3D the original minimum, including subtractions for the wild die, is a 1. Here we assume a 1 on the wild die and a 1 on at least one other die. This is the same minimum as your floor. If you roll 1[WD], 3, 1 you get the minimum of 5 subtracting 1 and 3 you end up with a 1.* So the only difference in the minimum with wild die total is on a roll of 1[WD], 2, 1 = 2 or 1[WD], 1, 2 = 3.

So there is little or no effect when the wild die is a 1 and since the odds of rolling below a 5 without getting 1 on the wild die are about 1%, this seems to add a significant extra complication for marginal results on edge cases.

If you wanted to use this floor or surety, an online dice roller would be preferable to a manual implementation. That pushes the extra complication onto the programmer rather than the GM or player. However you are still left with the loss of intuition about likely results for die rolls.

In conclusion, my impression at first glance is that this floor or surety adds some extra machinery and removes the intuitive result of rolling D6s by introducing a floor that sometimes has an effect (and sometimes does not). It seems more trouble than it is worth to me, but clearly YMMV.

* Here I assume a roll of 1[WD], 4 (or higher), 1 would default to the original rule for a total of 1 rather than following your new rule of 5 -1 -4 (or more) which would result in a zero or even a negative total.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds a little like the D20's system of 'taking ten' where you rather than roll, accept a bare minimum (more close to moderate roll)...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a lot of work for little gain. If you look at 4d, for example: there are 1296 different combinations of numbers. By taking away 4, 5, 6, and 7 you are eliminating 35 combinations (out of the 1296).

That said, why take away those low numbers? Everyone fails at something at some point, and fear of failure adds tension.

In D6 you should actually roll in the middle of the number set the vast majority of the time (80.5% for the middle 3 on the die). With 4d, you should roll 10-18 1044 out of 1296 times.

Maybe the wild die is actually the problem? Remember that according to RAW, a 1 on the wild die does not have to be a failure or removal of dice.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually considered something similar but only for droids.

I was thinking that a droid programed to do something should be able perform that task pretty much identically every time.

For every two dice a droid has in a skill it is assumed to have rolled a five so a droid with 4D+2 in a skill would roll 12 every time. Depending on how difficult the task is the droid will either succeed or fail.

I haven't put this into practice yet and I'm still working out other possibilities (such as potentially rolling a skill once and then setting that as the baseline until the skill is increased) but I found the idea interesting.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about you can take half your D pool for an auto 3 on the die..

Still no going to get you those high totals, but makes the lower stuff more achievable consistently.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
For every two dice a droid has in a skill it is assumed to have rolled a five so a droid with 4D+2 in a skill would roll 12 every time. Depending on how difficult the task is the droid will either succeed or fail.
I think the idea is interesting, but it seems like you are penalizing the droid too much.

Also it makes pips better than whole dice and makes conversion from pips to dice messy, e.g. 6 pips = 2D but 2D = 5 not 6. So if I did this I'd use 3 points per die for the droid.

Last edited by Bren on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Taking 3" could be like taking 10 in d20. That would solve a lot of problems pretty easily.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, I mean I don't like seeing professional skills with knowledge, or perception rolling really low. Even combat skills, I feel like players do -earn- that skill and shouldn't have to worry about their dice just screwing them.

That should be my job Wink. At least impose penalties, higher difficulties, or stronger enemies.

Though I feel like this could be more keeping track. I always played with the idea that say if you have 6D in a skill you couldn't say, get lower then Easy. Or something like that.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
In the interest of full disclosure: (1) I don't see the low rolls as a frequent enough problem to want significantly change the simple dice roll system of D6 to find a correction. (2) In most cases the use of CPs and FPs fix the problem when and if it arises. (3) The only exception to this is for hull values for vehicles where (2) does not apply and for that I would allow CPs to be used anyway or relying on GM fiat rather than blowing up a ship full of PCs on a single bad hull roll.

You're right in that the absurdly super-low rolls aren't very frequent. But I've come up with what I think is a simple and elegant way of doing away with those rolls that wouldn't make sense, without getting rid of what are still bad rolls when you look at the amount of dice being rolled.

Bren wrote:
So the "Range" and "Orig. Range" columns ignore the effects of the wild die, right? I think it would be beneficial to also include the floor of the range including the effects of the wild die since this strongly effects your effective floor, especially at low levels.

I decided not to include those values, as using a 1 on the Wild Die to reduce a roll's total is only one of three options available to a Gamemaster. Additionally, I didn't include the "ceiling" for rolled values involving the aftereffects of a 6 (or series of sixes) on the Wild Die. The minimum is enforce before the aftereffects of a Wild Die (good or bad), so those are the ranges that I listed.

Bren wrote:
...this seems to add a significant extra complication for marginal results on edge cases.
jmanski wrote:
It seems like a lot of work for little gain.

There's not really any work or complication involved here. While it took a good deal of explaining and a good deal of thinking to come up with this solution, the actual implementation isn't complicated at all. It also requires no additional bookkeeping, per se; while you do change the way you write die codes, you're not flipping pages, referring to a supplement, or having to perform any extra work during gameplay. For players and GMs, it is incredibly simple:

1. Look at your character sheet to get the die code, which includes the minimum.
  2. Roll the dice normally.
  3. Add up the dice as rolled, adding in any applicable pips.
  4. If the total is above or equal to the minimum, use the total as rolled. If not, use the minimum.
  5. If the roll had a 1 on the Wild Die, follow the GM's instructions as to how to play the Wild Die (subtract the Wild Die and the highest die, keep the total you have, get a complication, keep rolling sixes, etc.).

Bren wrote:
If you wanted to use this floor or surety, an online dice roller would be preferable to a manual implementation. That pushes the extra complication onto the programmer rather than the GM or player. However you are still left with the loss of intuition about likely results for die rolls.

I think that dice rollers are easier regardless of how dice totals are calculated. It would be really nice if someone were to point me in the direction of an individual that could implement this into an online dice roller (I think we're using the one from the Holocron right now). The intuition would have a slight learning curve, but it really shouldn't hurt one's "rolling intuition" too terribly much.

Bren wrote:
* Here I assume a roll of 1[WD], 4 (or higher), 1 would default to the original rule for a total of 1 rather than following your new rule of 5 -1 -4 (or more) which would result in a zero or even a negative total.

The minimum is only enforced if the total is below that die code's minimum before the aftereffects of the Wild Die are taken into account; since the total would be a 6 before the Wild Die took anything away, the minimum would not need to be enforced.

jmanski wrote:
"Taking 3" could be like taking 10 in d20. That would solve a lot of problems pretty easily.

This is something completely different. I did not want to eliminate dice rolls or make anything automatic. My goal was to come up with a method of retaining the randomness of the dice, while tightening up the range of those dice just enough to eliminate the absurdly low rolls that didn't make sense. I also wanted to strengthen the role of the Wild Die. This had to be done in a way that would not slow down gameplay---hence the altered method of writing die codes, in addition to an easily calculated figure just in case you didn't have it written down with the minimum right next to the die code.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
I like the idea, I mean I don't like seeing professional skills with knowledge, or perception rolling really low. Even combat skills, I feel like players do -earn- that skill and shouldn't have to worry about their dice just screwing them.

That should be my job Wink. At least impose penalties, higher difficulties, or stronger enemies.

Though I feel like this could be more keeping track. I always played with the idea that say if you have 6D in a skill you couldn't say, get lower then Easy. Or something like that.

My sentiments exactly, Azai. I hope you will take the opportunity to playtest this, and see if you feel it adds to your workload. I really did try to come up with a method that wouldn't add on more work or bookkeeping for the GM. Let me know how it goes if you do get a chance to try it out!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
You're right in that the absurdly super-low rolls aren't very frequent. But I've come up with what I think is a simple and elegant way of doing away with those rolls that wouldn't make sense, without getting rid of what are still bad rolls when you look at the amount of dice being rolled.
Setting aside the question of whether low frequency low rolls make sense, let's look at the simplicity.
Quote:
There's not really any work or complication involved here. While it took a good deal of explaining and a good deal of thinking to come up with this solution, the actual implementation isn't complicated at all. It also requires no additional bookkeeping, per se; while you do change the way you write die codes, you're not flipping pages, referring to a supplement, or having to perform any extra work during gameplay.

But the die code actually changes in play based on MAPs. Thus the minimum on the sheet will change. Usually (but not always) the minimum will decrease by 3 pips per -1D. This then requires an additional calculation or lookup for each action in a round as the minimum changes.
Quote:
For players and GMs, it is incredibly simple:
  1. Look at your character sheet to get the die code, which includes the minimum.
  4. If the total is above or equal to the minimum, use the total as rolled. If not, use the minimum.
  5. If the roll had a 1 on the Wild Die, follow the GM's instructions as to how to play the Wild Die (subtract the Wild Die and the highest die, keep the total you have, get a complication, keep rolling sixes, etc.).
Assuming the wild die is not a "1" the normal steps are.
1. Roll the dice.
2. Add the total.
3. If the wild die is a 1 or a 6, do something special. (Players know to continue rolling in the case of sixes and give me the total or to give me the total subtracting the 1 and the highest other die in the event that it is a 1. They also mention that they rolled a 1 in case I want to have them total normally or add a complication.

In between steps 2. and 3. You have added -
2A. Look up or calculate the minimum for this roll.
2B. Compare the total to the minimum for this roll and use that if it is higher than the total.
Onto step 3 you have added
3B. If their is a 1 on the wild die follow the new calculation method for the minimum which requires subtraction rather than removing dice before totalling. I would argue removal of dice so as to add up a lower total is slightly simpler than subtraction after totalling (since one less arithmetical operation is involved).

It looks to me like you have doubled the number of steps required as compared to the existing method. All that fiddling is why I said I thought this would work better (i.e. simpler) if all the work could be coded into the die roller.

Quote:
I think that dice rollers are easier regardless of how dice totals are calculated.
Personally, I find rolling groups of D6 easy and perferable. I don't like using dice rollers. It removes the kinesthetic aspect of rolling and the illusion of control, both of which are part of the fun for me. In addition, rolling the dice myself both connects me to my characters action and the rolling itself acts as a surrogate for my character's action - especially in combat. Since this isn't the case for you, that is a non-issue, but I thought it best to raise the point that some players like to roll their dice.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But the die code actually changes in play based on MAPs. Thus the minimum on the sheet will change. Usually (but not always) the minimum will decrease by 3 pips per -1D. This then requires an additional calculation or lookup for each action in a round as the minimum changes.

That is actually a very good point; somehow I didn't think about the effect that multiple action penalties would have on the minimums. But while this does technically add in a step (lower the minimum by 3 for each -1D MAP; if the minimum is lowered below 5, ignore the minimum altogether), it's very simple arithmetic that anyone can do in their head without difficulty. But you're right, it is an added step.

Bren wrote:
Matthias777 wrote:
For players and GMs, it is incredibly simple:

Assuming the wild die is not a "1" the normal steps are.
1. Roll the dice.
2. Add the total.
3. If the wild die is a 1 or a 6, do something special. (Players know to continue rolling in the case of sixes and give me the total or to give me the total subtracting the 1 and the highest other die in the event that it is a 1. They also mention that they rolled a 1 in case I want to have them total normally or add a complication.

In between steps 2. and 3. You have added -
2A. Look up or calculate the minimum for this roll. Most people I know look at the sheet on which the stat is written to check the dice to be rolled before rolling, and since the minimum would be written as part of the die code, I'm not sure it's fair to say that I "added" a step here. Even if you're going to say that I'm adding a step, it would be before your "Step 1" as listed above, not after.
2B. Compare the total to the minimum for this roll and use that if it is higher than the total. Again, it's not as if you're flipping pages or referring to a chart for this; you have the minimum in your head from five seconds prior (when you looked at your sheet to see how many dice to roll, just like you normally would). "Step 2B" is thus: Is your rolled total less than that number? If yes, use the minimum. If no, use the roll total.
Onto step 3 you have added
3B. If their is a 1 on the wild die follow the new calculation method for the minimum which requires subtraction rather than removing dice before totalling. I would argue removal of dice so as to add up a lower total is slightly simpler than subtraction after totalling (since one less arithmetical operation is involved). That's the way you run your games; not everyone has their players' default action on a 1 on the Wild Die be to report the total with the Wild Die and the highest die already removed. Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought most players gave the GM the total, stated that they'd rolled a 1 on the Wild Die, and waited for the GM to tell them which of the three options he was going to go with.

Bren wrote:
It looks to me like you have doubled the number of steps required as compared to the existing method. All that fiddling is why I said I thought this would work better (i.e. simpler) if all the work could be coded into the die roller.

I think that your method of calculating the steps is designed to make it appear as though I've added in a lot more steps than I really have. Maybe this wasn't your intention. That's just the way it "looks to me".

Bren wrote:
Personally, I find rolling groups of D6 easy and perferable. I don't like using dice rollers. It removes the kinesthetic aspect of rolling and the illusion of control, both of which are part of the fun for me. In addition, rolling the dice myself both connects me to my characters action and the rolling itself acts as a surrogate for my character's action - especially in combat. Since this isn't the case for you, that is a non-issue, but I thought it best to raise the point that some players like to roll their dice.

Hey, I like rolling dice by hand, too. But for the people who frequent this forum, who often deride an idea (sometimes rightfully so) because of its potential to slow down the game, one would think that dice rollers would be more popular. Dice rollers are faster and eliminate the bulk of human error when rolling dice. More importantly, for PbPs and Pbems, online dice rollers are the best method for rolling the dice (even if it would be more fun to roll them by hand).

To condense this post, I see your point on the effect of MAPs on a die code's minimum, though it would not slow someone down for more than a couple of seconds. It is a rather simple matter to lower the minimum by 3 for each -1D MAP, and if the minimum is lowered below 5, ignore the minimum altogether.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
To condense this post, I see your point on the effect of MAPs on a die code's minimum, though it would not slow someone down for more than a couple of seconds. It is a rather simple matter to lower the minimum by 3 for each -1D MAP, and if the minimum is lowered below 5, ignore the minimum altogether.
I'm glad you found mentioning MAPs helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: