The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Species Info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Species Info!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which stats (by power of ability, not actual stats... can easily change West End stats to be as powerful as d20) do you prefer for the Shi'ido?
d6
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
d20
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't care/Don't know enough about the Shi'ido to comment
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 16

Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Species Info! Reply with quote

Well, I sent some info to the webmaster here, and he said that he didn't have much time for the site lately, but feel free to post any information on the forums

So, without further ado, here are two West End species for you all... Shi'ido and Miraluka! Those of you that have played the d20 version, but never seen the Shi'ido stats will be... interested... to note that they are not near as powerful as they are in d20... In d20 they can change to any humanoid form, and as they get older, they can do inanimate objects. BUT, even a young one could turn into a "stormtrooper" complete with unremovable armor (that doesn't function). This was "clarified" on the official website's "JEdi counciling". To me, it makes the mind affecting ability they have really uncessessary... Under west end, they can only take humanoid forms, and CANNOT change texture or color... making the mind ability ESSENTIAL to a proper disguise... and makes them very weary of jedi and other force users that could have a Sense much higher than any species Perception maximums... BIG difference from d20, huh?

Shi'ido
Homeworld: Sh'shuun
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 2D/4D
MECHANICAL 1D/3D+1
PERCEPTION 2D/4D+2
STRENGTH 3D/4D+1
TECHNICAL 3D/4D
Special Skills:
Perception skills:
Mind-disguise: Time to use: One round or longer. This skill is used to shroud the mind perceiving the Shi'ido, thereby concealing the Shi'ido's appearance. Each person targeted by this skill counts as an action. A character may resist this attempt with Perception or sense.
Strength skills:
Shape-shifting: Time to use: One round or longer. This skill is considered advanced for advancement purposes. Shape-shifting allows Shi'ido to adopt a new humanoid form. The Shi'ido cannot appear shorter than 1.3 meters, or taller than 2.1 meters. Adopting a new but similar form is a Moderate task. Adopting a form much taller or much smaller, or a body shape considerably different from the Shi'ido, is a Difficult or Very Difficult task.
Special Abilities:
Shape-shifting: Shi'ido can change their shape to other humanoid forms. Their skin color or surface features do not change.
Mind-disguising: Shi'ido use this ability to complete their disguise, projecting their image onto the minds of others. This can be resisted by opposed Perception or sense rolls, but only by those who actively suspect and resist. The mind-disguise does not affect automated cameras or droids.
Story Factors:
Reputation: Those who have heard of Shi'ido know them as thieves, spies, or criminals.
Move: 8/12
Size: 1.3-2.1 meters tall

Miraluka
Homeworld: Alpheridies
Attribute Dice: 12D
Attribute Minimum/Maximums:
DEXTERITY: 2D/4D
KNOWLEDGE: 2D/4D
MECHANICAL: 2D/4D
PERCEPTION: 1D/3D
STRENGTH: 2D/4D
TECHNICAL: 2D/4D
Special Abilities:
Force Sight: The Miraluka rely on their ability to perceive their surroundings by sensing the slight Force vibrations emanated from all objects. In any location where the Force is in some way cloaked, the Miraluka are effectively blind.
Move: 10
Size: 1.6-1.8 meters tall

For the record, the Miraluka stats are from Tales of the Jedi Companion, and the Shi'ido stats are from Alien Encounters, if I recall correctly.

Please do my poll, and if you have any comments about the poll, stats of the Shi'ido, whatever... I'd be very interested, as I love the Shi'ido, stats aside, but haven't ever read any books containing them, and so would love to get opinions from those that have read the books... Smile

Finally, I'd like to get some opinions/clarifications on the mind ability from long time players... it says that each person TARGETED is an action, but it also says that someone only gets to resist if they have reason to suspect... SO... would that mean that a Shi'ido can walk into a room and everyone is automatically affected, but if someone questions that she is, say REALLY Jen'tara Rhee, then she'd have to actually USE the power as an action for each person that questions her disguise? That's the way it seem to me, but I wanted to get opinions...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather use the D6 stats as they are the original stats.

Wanted Poster
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
I'd much rather use the D6 stats as they are the original stats.

Right, but have you read the book(s) with Shi'ido characters that might suggest that West End's interpretation is more correct than WotC's? I wish I could get a copy of the various non-game related books to see how I would interpret their ability, you know?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Essential Guide to Alien Species. It's written from an in universe perspective and one of the characters used for quoting in the book is a Shi'ido.

Wanted Poster
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Try the Essential Guide to Alien Species. It's written from an in universe perspective and one of the characters used for quoting in the book is a Shi'ido.

Yes, I know, actually I heard that the primary "researcher" is Shi'ido and the whole reason he's doing the book is research for himself and his fellow Shi'ido... just um... cant' seem to find a copy and im kinda broke right now... heh
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less expensive (that is if you can find them in a bookstore (try a used bookstore)), but I guess by now possibly harder to find, would be the Galaxy of Fear books. The "primary researcher" for the EGtAS is one of the main characters of that series.

Wanted Poster
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shi'ido are boring...both versions. Get a real shape shifter. Like This:

Guu'toyuu
Homeworld: Guu'to
Attribute Dice: 12D (18 for pc's)
DEXTERITY 2D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D/4D
MECHANICAL 2D/4D
PERCEPTION 2D/4D
STRENGTH 2D/4D
TECHNICAL 2D/4D
Special Skills/Abilities: Shape-shifting

A Gu'toyuu can become anything, anyone, any object, any creature they wish to become providing they beat the difficulty roll.
Changing into living organisms: A Gu'toyuu can become any living organism and take on all characteristics and attributes they wish of any size from the smallest single cell organism to the largest creature (Rancor, Duinuogwuin, etc.) The smaller and larger from the humoniod-ish size they wish to become, the higher the difficulty number.
Changing into inanimate objects: Gu'toyuu can become any inanimate object they wish of any size shape or form. The smaller or larger the object, the higher the difficulty roll
Changing into Machinery: A Guu'toyuu can become any machinery they wish of any size up to speeder scale vehicles. As matter can not be created nor destoryed, a Gu'toyuu is still limited to an not being able to "expel" any of it's life fluid. Thus, in order to become a blaster that can fire, a swoop that can start up and and travel, a Gu'toyuu must have "waste" (i.e. poop and piss and sweat) to become fuel, powercells, or rather; any displaceable energy requires "waste". If a Gu'toyuu hasn't eaten or drinken in a while, the less "waste" they will have to make the machinery operational.
Ability usage:
Limitations: In order to become anything other than their natural or "normal" state; it would have to be something they have physically touched in the last 24 hour period and can only stay in that state for 1D scenes, and/or 1D rounds without having to re-roll at a one level higher difficulty each time. However, a Gu'toyuu can return to its natural state at a VE roll at any time, and can become the Ability number before the die objects of their choice with a E die roll (unless under combat, then the difficulty is Moderate) without ever having to touch the thing. (I.E. the character has a 5D in their shapeshifting ability, this means they can always become one of those five things of their choice without having to touch it in the last 24 hours). As the die code increases, so does the number of things they can choose to become without touching it.

Story Factors:
Reputation: Those who have heard of Guu'toyuu either love them or hate them.
Move: 8/12
Size: ??? In natural state they are Liquidy. So in a "normal-everyday" state they appear humaniod as they choose.

Planet Name: Gu'To
Planet Function: Homeworld
Government: Democracy
Planet Type: Terrestrial
Terrain: Plain
Gravity: Standard
Atmosphere: Type I (breathable)
Length of Day: 24 standard hours
Length of Year: 375 local days
Hydrosphere: Moist
Temperature: Temperate
Population: 5000000
Starport: Landing Field
Tech Level: Information

The Gu'toyuu's main objective above all others is to reproduce via mitosis. Their species is rare because procreation is very hard for the species. While the Gu'toyuu can reproduce via mating with another compatible species of a species they've shifted into, they can not reproduce their own species except by a form of mitosis. Since the species can't lose their life essence fluid without serious harm or death, they must have the ability to perform a Very Heroic roll (85) to procreate via mitosis and survive. Use the damage chart to see if they fail the roll, if and when attempted to see the outcome.

Dificuty numbers:
Organisms:
Humoniod: Easy to Difficult (depending on size and situation)
Somewhat smaller/larger organism Moderate to Very Difficult (depending on size and situation)
Creatures both huge and tiny: Difficult to Heroic (depending on size and situation)

Inanimate Objects:
Roughly the same size as humaniod: VE to M (depending on situation and complexity of object)
Somewhat smaller/larger than humaniod: E to D (depending on situation and complexity of object)
Objects both huge and tiny: M to VD (depending on situation and complexity of object)

Machinery: (up to speeder scale/must have expendable energy or "waste" to be functional)
Roughly the same size as humaniod: E to D (depending on complexity)
Somewhat smaller/larger than humaniod: M to VD (depending on complexity)
Machinery both huge and tiny: D to H (depending on complexity)
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trusty wrote:

Ah but see the Shi'do have to be careful... especially of droids... That's what makes it fun... Smile
Rancor Pit Martial Arts Styles: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9894#9894
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen'tara Rhee wrote:
Trusty wrote:

Ah but see the Shi'do have to be careful... especially of droids... That's what makes it fun... Smile

True. But I have a player than wanted to be a shapeshifter, and I looked up and found about six different kinds in the SW universe and he didn't like any of them. He said he wanted to make it own and he had only one point to his arguement.

1. It is a roleplaying game where people fly in spaceships faster then the speed of light, there are milions of different species, and some people choke others and create storms and have lightning coming from their hands and swing laser sticks, so why couldn't he shapeshift?

I couldn't argue with that, so I designed this species and told him to take it or leave it. He took it.

However, in reality, he only shapeshifts once every two or three games or so. Rolling Eyes So it seemed like a lot of work for so little use. PLayers will be players though. Very Happy
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trusty wrote:
Jen'tara Rhee wrote:
Trusty wrote:

True. But I have a player than wanted to be a shapeshifter, and I looked up and found about six different kinds in the SW universe and he didn't like any of them. He said he wanted to make it own and he had only one point to his arguement.

1. It is a roleplaying game where people fly in spaceships faster then the speed of light, there are milions of different species, and some people choke others and create storms and have lightning coming from their hands and swing laser sticks, so why couldn't he shapeshift?

I couldn't argue with that, so I designed this species and told him to take it or leave it. He took it.

However, in reality, he only shapeshifts once every two or three games or so. Rolling Eyes So it seemed like a lot of work for so little use. PLayers will be players though. Very Happy

Yeah, it's a good species, but I really think that part of the fun of the Shi'ido is the limits (which they don't have AT ALL in d20). So that you can walk around looking like a purple twi'lek... but to a droid, you are a grey twi'lek and so when that droid refers to you as such, people will start to question, then you need to start makin' that telepathy roll to keep em seein' and so on... That's why when I made my Shi'ido character, she had an almost psychopathic hatred of droids... because they saw her for what she truly is...
Rancor Pit Martial Arts Styles: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9894#9894
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limits are the fun with any species.

Even humans have their limits, as they cannot shapeshift, or lift up cars, and such. Every race in Starwars has some sort of limit to their abilities. Noghri, as strong, perceptive, and dexterous as they are, KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE GALAXY, or how diplomatics are concerend. They are relatively simple. They follow the orders of their master. Or they live to survive. You can name a thousand examples of species who have their limits. It's whether someone can enjoy the limits of the species or not which would make them want to play it.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D20 Shi'Ido are based on Dopplegangers in DnD, and are NOTHING like true Star Wars Shi'Ido.

The Book series Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear. There were two Shi'Ido main characters, one protagonist, the other a villain. The protagonists shape shifting ability at times seemed unlimited except when sensors and droids were involved, but Jen'Tara Rhee's understanding of the rules supports that.
Only when someone had a reason to suspect (right in front of Jabba), or he was changing right in front of someone (becoming a wookie in front of a character to threaten him in an interrogation) did he have to use his mind affecting ability to assert that he really was what he pretended to be.

So Jen'Tara, I'd say your interpretation of the D6 stats works best.
to finance my 'vette!
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
D20 Shi'Ido are based on Dopplegangers in DnD, and are NOTHING like true Star Wars Shi'Ido.

The Book series Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear. There were two Shi'Ido main characters, one protagonist, the other a villain. The protagonists shape shifting ability at times seemed unlimited except when sensors and droids were involved, but Jen'Tara Rhee's understanding of the rules supports that.
Only when someone had a reason to suspect (right in front of Jabba), or he was changing right in front of someone (becoming a wookie in front of a character to threaten him in an interrogation) did he have to use his mind affecting ability to assert that he really was what he pretended to be.

So Jen'Tara, I'd say your interpretation of the D6 stats works best.

Thank you, yes... The comparison to Doppelganger's is so right... Why didnt I think of that... LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: