The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor vs Called Shot and/or Lightsabers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor vs Called Shot and/or Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Armor vs Called Shot and/or Lightsabers Reply with quote

Has anyone tooled with the idea of reducing armor resistance bonuses with a called shot? I was thinking of reducing the armor bonus to +1 pip per +1d of resistance vs a called shot. I was curious if anyone had tried something like this and what it's effect was on play and survivability. IF you implemented this rule, what penalty would you assign? Something greater than -1d to the shot? For the most part I would only see this as a tactic employed by PCs and non-fodder NPCs on heavier targets that seem to shrug off damage. Firing on a character with a normal character level strength and a blast vest or light armor would probably just benefit from an extra shot on them during the round..

Additionally, as we are using something similar to the no MAPs LS Combat variant which has nerfed LS damage to some extent, I was considering using this reduction of armor on all resistance rolls against Lightsabers.

Just looking for some thoughts.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not ever decreased the armor. Though we allow some extra damage for shots that are rolled above the number needed to hit. I think we use +1 pip damage per 5 over the difficulty. I believe we also allowed increasing the damage by increasing the difficulty as a called shot. Something like -2D to the attack roll = +1D damage for placing the shot in a critical or vulnerable location. In general we have gone with increasing the damage rather than decreasing the armor.

Since lightsaber combat already allows a Jedi a way to increase their damage, I probably wouldn't allow the Jedi to also decrease the armor.
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dilemma over increasing base damage with a called shot was that -2d for +1d of damage is actually more beneficial than +1 pip per 5 over the difficulty (which we were/are using). -3d for +1d would be the same scale but I guess the disadvantage of the called shot for slightly higher damage on a sucess would be the greater chance of failure with no damage inflicted.

Lightsaber damage was more of an after-thought. What I have to ask myself is if I feel the base damage of a lightsaber is any more or less effective against armored opponents then a heavy blaster pistol based on what we see in canon. Given, most stormies go down in one shot from any blaster in the movies, which is generally how I handle the canon fodder in my games when confronted in large numbers.

"Nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot."
-Turk (De Niro) Righteous Kill
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the armor, i have allowed anywhere from a +5 to +15 called shot (the + adds to the diff to hit) to totally bypass the protection. So say someone in standard stormie armor (+10). If you hit, you just managed to get it past the plating.
kinfo_howlingwolf
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I never understood was that the only standard advantage a called shot did was hitting an unarmored piece of meat. In other games I played a headshot over a regular body shot did more damage. Does anyone think it would make sense having maybe another die added to the dmg?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 2nd Ed R&E they have an optional rule for head shots doing +1D damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should it just be for head shots? Most weapons would tend to do more damage at very close ranges, as the energy of the shot / attack hasn't dissipated to the degree that it might over a greater range.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Should it just be for head shots? Most weapons would tend to do more damage at very close ranges, as the energy of the shot / attack hasn't dissipated to the degree that it might over a greater range.

Im playing with the idea of having weapons do +1D at up to close range, and -1D at long. Given the fact that most firefights in our games take place at rather close range perhaps Ill end up applying +1D damage only at point blank range.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law wrote:
I think the dilemma over increasing base damage with a called shot was that -2d for +1d of damage is actually more beneficial than +1 pip per 5 over the difficulty (which we were/are using). -3d for +1d would be the same scale but I guess the disadvantage of the called shot for slightly higher damage on a sucess would be the greater chance of failure with no damage inflicted.

The difference is that with the +1 per 5 over you dont risk anything. With the other rule you have to risk missing, trading the lower chance of hitting vs greater damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im playing with the idea of having weapons do +1D at up to close range, and -1D at long. Given the fact that most firefights in our games take place at rather close range perhaps Ill end up applying +1D damage only at point blank range.

Which in turn plays in well with allowing the To Hit roll to affect damage.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Which in turn plays in well with allowing the To Hit roll to affect damage.

Yeah, you can have both of course...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an option.. one player i had at a con game was suggesting an advanced skill for performing more damaging called shots...
Each 2D your advanced skill is, you get to add 1d to damage.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our method has always been to increase the difficulty and reduce the resistance (for a head shot).

For the sake of a game, I think its appropriate to impose a risk/tradeoff between damage and accuracy. Its harder to hit a smaller target, after all.

A couple of other thimgs that we do to overcome armor are inspired by real life. Double tapping which counts as a single action and uses one additional round of ammo allows the character to add 1D to damage if his roll is 5 over the target's dodge. If he only rolls 4 (or less) over he rolls normal damage but still uses up the additional round.

The armor drill (two in the chest, one in the head) works exactly like the double tap but you spend three rounds and if you roll 10 over your target does not get the benefit of armor (unless he's wearing a helmet) and his strength is reduced to the minimum for his species. Notr that for the armor drill you still get the bemefits of the double tap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: