The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Raising Attributes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Raising Attributes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Raising Attributes Reply with quote

Question about raising one's attributes with CP and training: Do you roll the species' max every time they attempt an increase, or only when they reach the max?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time. If a human is trying to go from 2d to 2d+1 and the 4D come up all ones and the 2d+1 don't come up all ones, well...bye bye character points. It can be a sad roll when you know you shouldn't have had a problem at all.

Our group used a house rule so you didn't lose all the character points when you lost that roll. For a short time it was you got them all back, then it went to half. I think that's where it stayed. But again, that was a house rule.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure that in 2nd R&E it said you get half the CP back on a failed attribute increase. I'll need to re check that (I need to get a hard copy of this book).
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was a bit confused. Now I can make specie stat ranges a bit more accurate.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may in R&E. This is something we started in second, so at the time we instated it, it was a house rule. That'd be cool if it was now a core rule.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn, as per 2nd ed R&E, you only have to do the roll off when trying to go above species Max. Basing off the write up for the examples where thannik is increasing his know from 2d+2 to 3d, we see there is no roll (page 35). BUT on the second example (page 35 and 36) where they are trying to take Dex above 4d (human max) there is a roll.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Endwyn, as per 2nd ed R&E, you only have to do the roll off when trying to go above species Max. Basing off the write up for the examples where thannik is increasing his know from 2d+2 to 3d, we see there is no roll (page 35). BUT on the second example (page 35 and 36) where they are trying to take Dex above 4d (human max) there is a roll.

Whew! I thought I was going crazy there for a moment... "I don't remember having to roll to increase my attribute... the CP cost was big enough!"

Of course, I didn't think you could go above species max either.

Reading the "Improving Attributes" rules and examples on the pages mentioned, it seems to me that some words are missing from the second colored block, which is probably causing some confusion.

I think it should say something like:
Quote:
There is a limit to how high an attribute can go -- a person can only be so smart or strong. To raise an attribute above the species' max, the character spends the Character Points and the time training as normal. At the end of the training time, the character rolls the new attribute die code. The gamemaster must roll the attribute's maximum...

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: