The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can you use first aid without medpacks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Can you use first aid without medpacks? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, this was for those instances where someone is wounded but the medics are out of medpacks.. can you do anything?

The rules are uncertain whether a medpack is needed to stabilize someone at mortally wounded.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Exactly, this was for those instances where someone is wounded but the medics are out of medpacks.. can you do anything?

The rules are uncertain whether a medpack is needed to stabilize someone at mortally wounded.

Well, depends on the nature of the mortally wounded. After all, restarting someone's heart with CPR could qualify.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it should be like anything else that requires tools. If you try First Aid without a Medpak then the difficulty rises.

There's also the fact that in some instances you can't fix something without the right tools. Then what?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think first aid should be usable sans medpack, just push the difficulty by an amount proportionate to the injury.

I think that some sort of improvised items would be necessary in the event that the GM uses specific injuries, rather than abstract wound penalties.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

There's also the fact that in some instances you can't fix something without the right tools. Then what?

Your up the creak without a paddle! Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the advantage of the D6 system is that, even without the right tools, you can improvise with a kitchen knife and some duct tape if you roll high enough.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in a cinematic game that's what we want
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i judge the effectiveness of a medpac on a case by case basis. personal real world experience has taught me that after a certain level of injury, medpacs will only stabilize, not reduce injuries. most of whats in a medpac is drugs for stabilization, in my opinion.

if you dont have a medpac, can you still use the first aid skill?
yes.
why?
Quote:
First Aid
Time Taken: One combat round.
Specializations: Species of patient — humans, Ewoks, Wookiees.
First aid reflects a character's ability to perform emergency life saving procedures in the field.

nowhere in this description from the main book does it say a medpac is required to use the skill.

furthermore, all of us should have some kind of personal experience with injuries and wounds. how often did you go and get a bandaid for a cut?

personally i rarely get one unless its a bleeder. i have had 3rd degree burns covering my hands and arms before and all i did was use cool water and eventually rubbed aloe vera gel on it. stab wounds from knives, daggers, etc. were dealt with by just applying pressure until the bleeding slowed/stopped. and yes duck tape works wonderfully to aid in this. as does a shirt with a belt/rope.

in my opinion a medpac just makes it so your average person with limited medical knowledge is able to do more.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Of course, the advantage of the D6 system is that, even without the right tools, you can improvise with a kitchen knife and some duct tape if you roll high enough.

That particular advantage actually seems to apply in real life, too... I've lost count of how many duct tape bandages I've made over the years.

Complete Starship Construction System
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I would say you can use first aid without a medpak. You wouldn't get to roll to reduce the injury, just help keep the injury from getting worse.

Exactly- this is how I play things, as well.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That is one area where it appears to me to be the closest to certain:

2R&E, pg 97 wrote:

A character making a Moderate first aid total can
"stabilize" a mortally wounded character. The character
is still mortally wounded but will survive if a medpac or
bacta tank is used on him within one hour
(Moderate
first aid total); otherwise, he dies. (This is different from
healing a character with a medpac
; see "Healing.")

I added the emphasis myself. I've interpreted it as allowing a First Aid roll, sans medpac, to stabilize a mortally wounded character, giving them an hour to use a medpac or other means to fully stabilize the character before they croak. It also notes this is different from healing with medpac. I'll admit, there is certainly room for ambiguity here, as they don't out right state you will not need a medpac or other tools to assist and the second line may be refering specifically to using a medpac to fully stabilize a character vs. using it to heal a mortally wounded character (a moderate vs Difficult roll). I'm guessing they left that for the GM to adjudicate.

As for your initial question, I see the role of medpacs as a means to immediately raise your wounded level one step when used correctly. If that is your aim, but you lack a medpac, I'd lean towards no, even if you had a medical kit of some kind. That said, I'm from the 'just about anything possible if they have a big enough roll' school, so in the end I'd likely allow it, but with a significantly increased difficulty (maybe make it a medicine roll instead, so only fully trained individuals can pull it off).

I'd also allow other uses of a first aid/medicine without a medpac where I thought it would be appropriate, for instance, trying to temporarily removing wound penalties for a few rounds, wake a stunned character, and so forth. If roleplayed 'correctly' (term used loosely), these types of uses seem reasonable and can help to make a medical type character feel more useful, while maintaining the relatively unique and significant role of the medpac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: