The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kiffar Psychometry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Kiffar Psychometry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Kiffar Psychometry Reply with quote

I have a player who created a force-sensitive, Kiffar archeologist. He is trying to find old pieces of Jedi lore and artifacts. Pretty cool concept...

Anyway my problem is how should I run his Psychometry? I found two conversions for Kiffar into D6:

http://conversions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=779

and

http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/web.html

The latter simply uses the stock Postcognition power from WEG. To be honest I think it sounds more realistic. However as an archeologist this power won't be so useful as the difficulty to see anything beyond a few years is beyond heroic. I was also thinking of using farseeing since that works in the past as well as the future. Does anyone have any thoughts?
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use the Rebellion conversion. In my experience, The Rebellion has much more useful / realistic conversions in general than SWRPGNetwork.

I think Psychometry works fine using Postcognition. The difficulty varies according to how long it's been, but you can shift the difficulty (as the GM) by simply saying that a certain artifact or place has had such a strong emotional resonance from said event that it's maintained through the eons, giving a bonus to the sense roll.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for more information on the Kiffar but so far I know only of the comics featuring Quinlan Voss. Unfortunatly I don't have the earlier comics. Can anyone be kind enough as to give me a brief summary of the system and people? I know that there are two planets and one of them is a prison world. The Kiffar guard the prison and are protected by guardians. I think the Republic had an uneasy arrangment with them. Can anyone help me out? Thanks... Very Happy
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell there isn't a lot of background here. The planets are Kiffu and Kiffex. Planet and prison world respectivly. One source says the planets are close to Korriban, but the guy who does a lot of research for the SW galaxy map has them located fairly close to the Tapanni sector. Since he does seem to know more about planet locations than anyone else I know, I would guess he is more correct. (But who knows, this could be one of those contradiction senarios.)

As far as the people, I have never seen a write up on themexcept this small blurb:

Quote:
Kiffar are a near-Human species that hail from the Azurbani system. The system's twin planets -- Kiffu and Kiffex -- share an elliptical orbit around its sun. When their orbits bring the two planets near each other incredible lightning storms result, which the Kiffar harness as a source of energy. Kiffu, the larger of the two planets, is home to most Kiffar. Kiffex, on the other hand, is primarily a penal colony. Presiding over this prison planet are the Guardians.

Hope that helps.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the second definition of psychometry in the dictionary has it as

Quote:
2. parapsychology divination by touching object: the alleged ability to obtain information about a person or event by touching an object related to that person or event.

This would certainly fit with Postcognition since a Jedi must be able to handle the object according to the effects. According to WotC's site, only about one in a hundred Kiffar actually have this ability, which I'd say is more of a story factor than a special ability since their born with it apparently whether they are Force-sensitive or not. As for how far back he can go, I'd say to alter the difficulties for postcognition a little to say that this is an ability the character was born with.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, about your comment with the WotC version being more useful for the archiologist....I think that the trade off is that WotC has an easier time accessing the past, but there is a danger in exposing yourself to the dark side. The WEG version is harder to access the past but no danger in following along in someone's darkness. Your more an observer than a participant in the past.

Perhaps you might sit down and discuss the possibilities with the player. Perhaps the two of you can decide. After all, the decision can greatly affect the PC.
That's improbable?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was not that the WotC version, which whether we like it or not is unfortunately the offical version, was more useful to the archeologist, but that it says that only one in a hundred kiffar have this ability. Meaning that they don't have to be Force-sensitive to have this ability as the conversion suggests. That would suggest more of a story factor than an special ability all members of the species would be likely to have. And since it would mean that they, those born with pshycometery, should use postcognition as a natural ability rather than merely as a Force power they had to learn, it should come a little easier to them so for such Kiffar character's I'd suggest altering the postcognition rules a bit to refelect this.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault, I was refering to MA-3PO's comment about the WotC version being more useful to the PC. I should have quoted him before my response. For whatever strage reason your post reminded me of that info I forgot to tell him earlier.
That's improbable?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, looked like it was directed at me since I was the only one to actually come out and say WotC up to that point.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, you just reminded me of something I forgot, but I was talking to the original poster. Like Isaid, I should have quoted the person I was talking to.

I'll let you slide this time....but you have to cut me slide next time too........
That's improbable?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, more or less, in agreement with Hellcat regarding the Psychometry. Psychometry is a reading of an objects past through metaphysical means and senses beyond the normal, but given that for the Kiffar this is a natural ability, it should not be handled as a force power. That is, the character need not be force sensitive, and need not posess any other force abilities. Simply list the Psychometry on the sheet of the Kiffar as a special ability (remember to deduct appropriate D or CP for it), and allow it to be used. This would not be the first alien with Seemingly force-like natural abilities to crop up in Star Wars. I'd say let the character advance it as a skill or advanced skill even (maybe it adds to his alien cultures, alien history rolls when he "reads" and object?). The character will not be able to aquire other force powers or force skills unless he first becomes force sensitive, and seeks the training of a Jedi Master (this power shoul dnot be a shortcut to the force).
I have always thought the limitations and timeframe restrictions of postcognition were a bit heavy, so you should increase the span of time it sees backwards. Maybe something like this:
A Few Hours: Very Easy
A Few Days: +2
A Few Weeks: +5
A Few Months: +7
A Few Years: +10
Between 10-100 Years: +15
100-1000 years: +20
Greater than 1000 years: +30 (+5 for each doubling)

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: