The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Points
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Points Reply with quote

So I have a PC with 3 dark side points, no lightsaber, 4D+2 Sense, 4D Control and 3D+2 Alter. Since he has 3 dark side points, does that mean that he gains 3D for any Force Powers he already has that are dark side based. For example would he get 3D added to his attempt to hurl an object at someone. Not super sure how the Dark Side Points are transitioned into gameplay... The only powers I see him currently having that are Dark Side based are Telekinesis and Affect Mind. All of his other powers are light side powers.

This is what I told him so far. For every 2 dark side points he acquires his ability to use the "light side" powers of the Force go down by a die. Example, when he reaches 4 DSP his Sense will be 2D+2, and Control will be 2D. His alter would stay at 3D+2 and if the power is used for evil it would go up 2D minimum. Any specific advice in how to handle?

MM
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of my players who plays Jedi gets dark side points, I offer the bonus dice without really going into much detail as to why. If the player uses the bonus, any non-dark powers they attempt are at increased difficulty levels.

I would put some sort of negative spin on anything they try to do. Say for instance they try to accelerate healing on their friend in the hospital. Well, if they take the bonus dice, their friend gets better, but 10 people there mysteriously slip into critical condition and die. They manage to affect the mind of someone, and sway him, but they push to deep into his subconscious and he becomes a psychopathic murderer with an obsession with the dark side character. Just a few fun ideas. Make it so that when he telekinetic throws something, he cannot limit his damage, add +1D damage for each dark side point. The guy he just wanted to knock out gets too much juice and goes squish on the wall, or flies off a ledge or something.

Even light side powers can be used selfishly, in non-selfish acts, I'll usually increase difficulty dramatically. Neutral use may or may not be increased in difficulty, and selfish use is at no penalty with the bonus for dark side points.

So, for your situation, the Jedi is working with an effective 7D+2 Sense, 7D Control, and 6D+2 Alter. He can refuse the bonus dice, but then has to roll powers at +1 difficulty level. Which is effectively a -4 penalty to the roll if I'm not mistaken. You could be extra cold and have it at +1 difficulty level for each dark side point, meaning the player is going to be rolling with an effective -12 to all force power activations... ouch.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens is that regardless of whether the power is "dark or light" the dark side temps the character by offering 1d per DSP (this only applies BEFORE the character turns) on ANY use of the force (except just spending a force point.
IF the character accepts the bonus Dice, ANY action(s) he or she does are tainted and must be Pure of heart to avoid gaining another automatic dark side point.
IF he decides to decline the offer, his amount of concentration he uses causes all powers to have their difficulty levels shifted up one category (+5 after heroic is reached).
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Side is also a cruel master, just when the Dark Jedi has gotten used to his bonus die, it can turn and withdraw support at a critical moment. This is the thinking behind abandonment of the bonus die once the character has turned, the Dark Side no longer needs to tempt a Jedi who has completely turned.

So apply the bonus when it tempts the character to do give in to the Dark Side more. Withdraw it when he does things that does not have the potential to increase his DSP.

And also, if he combats another Dark Sider who more readily gains DSP, then withdraw the bonus die and let the opponent have his. So say, a conflicted PC Jedi with 3 DSP trains a student who is willingly dark, and has 5 DSP, suddenly the student decides to murder his master and take his lightsabre. During the combat have the PC gain no dice bonus, but give the student full bonus dice for DSP, representing the fact this is what the Dark Side wants to happen.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen that suggestion before... Is it a House rule or from an official book>
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferred by description but I'll have to sift through my other computer that has the books on disc. I'm guessing it's in the Dark Side sourcebook section worded something like "running dark side characters"

The way we used to do it years ago was apply the DSP bonus all the time even if turned, which made Palpy a bit over the top Laughing
nimatri
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is great!!!!

ok, i will try it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: