The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Parallel Story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> Parallel Story Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Parallel Story Reply with quote

As everyone probably knows, I'm running a story here on the forums named "Knights of the Old Republic: Empire's End" that follows a small group of Sith who are trying to survive in the aftermath of the Sith Empire's defeat at Russan.

But every story has more than one side, . . .

At some point, I entend for the remnants of the Jedi order to become involved in the story. Recently, I have spent a lot of time thinking about what the best way to tell this story would be. While my first thought was to run the Jedi's side of the story in a series of in-game rumors and the occasional flash to what is happening with those Jedi, its occured to me that I have a rare oppertunity to run the other side of the story as a parallel storyline.

With that said, I wanted to gague people's interest in the idea before I invest a lot of time into laying out a second story.

Would anyone be interested in playing one of a small group of young Jedi tasked with dealing with any rogue Sith as the Sith Empire collapses after the battle of Russan?

I would be looking for a group of +3 players. Anyone already playing "Empire's End" will be welcome to play in the second story as well.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them (So long as the answer dosnt include any spoilers.) And be sure to let me know if you are interested in playing!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a decided lack of response (or only a couple players willing to hop on), I'll run a Jedi in the parallel story if you want. Just keep me posted.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested in joining up.

I'll PM you with my questions.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I might be interested in joining up.

I'll PM you with my questions.

I sent you a PM with some answers. Wink
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the starting characters would be force users (Unless you can come up with a REALLY good reason for a a non-force user to be traveling with a group of newly mented Jedi Knights.

What kind of Jedi am I looking for in this story? Detective? Diplomat? Librarian? Healer? Something else? So long as you are a light side force user, I dont see any reason to restrict the kind of Jedi you can play.

I've only spent a little time thinking about character creation at this point. I'm leaning towards standard starting rules with an additional 2D that can only be spent on Force Abilities. I'll decide for sure once I know if we are going to have enough players or not.

For anyone who is following the current story, this story would be picking up while the characters in the current story are still on Kashyyyk. In other words, just a few days after the final battle of Russan as depicted in the comics Jedi vs Sith, or the books from the Darth Bane trilogy.

I hope that helps clear things up a little. And if you have a question, feel free to ask!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Crell is gonna play, you have at least two. Wink
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, by newly minted, you're thinking species +6D with 7D +2D force skills?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
So, by newly minted, you're thinking species +6D with 7D +2D force skills?

Character creation would look something like this:

You may either chose a force sensitive template or create your own.

-Nearly any alien race should be acceptable. Races that have a natural immunity to the force and races who are known to have joined the galactic community later in the timeline are the only exceptions I can think of. (Hutts, Ssi-Ruuk, & Vong come to mind.)
-Attribute Dice may be used normally or to buy Force Abilities.
-No Force Ability may be over 2D at character creation.
-1D in a Force Ability gains you one Force Power, for each additional pip spent on Force Abilities gains you one additional Force Power. No Force Power may be taken that will generate a Dark Side point with use.
-Force Dice may ONLY be used to buy Force Abilities.

Attribute Dice: 18D
Skill Dice: 7D
Force Dice: 2D

If I missed something, or you want a little clarification on a point, please let me know. I'll do my best to address any questions.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does 1D in a Force skill give you one power, or three, since 1D is essentially comprised of three pips?

I think in every game I've been in, that first D in any skill gave three powers in that skill.

Obviously it's the GM's call, but I wanna make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Also, are you saying 18D for the attributes, plus 2D to be used specifically for Force skills?

I also presume you'll have no issue if we use one of those 18D to purchase the first D in the third Force skill?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Does 1D in a Force skill give you one power, or three, since 1D is essentially comprised of three pips?

I think in every game I've been in, that first D in any skill gave three powers in that skill.

Obviously it's the GM's call, but I wanna make sure I'm understanding correctly.

That sounds right. You'll have to forgive the mistake, . . . its been a VERY long day. Confused So, in other words: The 1D will gain you 3 powers associated with the Force Ability, each additional pip will gain you an additional power. In other words, you would be able to obtain up to 6 powers associated with each Force Ability through Attribute and Force Dice.

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Also, are you saying 18D for the attributes, plus 2D to be used specifically for Force skills?

I also presume you'll have no issue if we use one of those 18D to purchase the first D in the third Force skill?

Yes. 18 Attribute, +2D Force Ability only.

No Force Ability may be over 2D at character creation, but you are welcome to boost all three Force Abilities to 2D with Attribute Dice if that's what you want to do.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if I'm not mistaken...we'd use the two Force dice to buy 1D of a skill. They'd get raised from there with the skill dice. We would only have to use one of our 18 Attribute dice to buy 1D of the third Force skill, which could then be raised to 2D with another Skill die.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Actually, if I'm not mistaken...we'd use the two Force dice to buy 1D of a skill. They'd get raised from there with the skill dice. We would only have to use one of our 18 Attribute dice to buy 1D of the third Force skill, which could then be raised to 2D with another Skill die.

LOL, then we've been doing it wrong at our gaming table for a LONG time!

Its getting late here. I'll read up on it a little bit tomorrow and see what I come up with.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

I'm just relaying the way I've been told to do it by my GMs. I don't mean to seem like I keep shooting you down...

The only reason we'd only have to use one of our Attribute dice is because you're allowing us 2D to use on Force skills. Normally we'd have to take those out of our Attribute dice. I'd have to look at the different Jedi templates to see if it'd be wiser to use one of them; I've never added up the Attribute dice on one to see if they give you the 18D for the Attributes, and then let you start with some or all of the Force skills on top of that. I've had GMs do that when they wanted to have characters starting out as already-trained Jedi, whether Padawans or newly-minted Knights.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through character creation, and the force section; I didn't see anything listed about spending starting skill dice on force skills.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I read through character creation, and the force section; I didn't see anything listed about spending starting skill dice on force skills.

I've spent a good part of the morning looking things over as well and I wasnt able to find anything either.

I was always under the impression that you spent Attribute Dice to buy Force Ability (The templates in the back of the core rulebook backs that up) and that you get one force power to go with the initial 1D in Control, Sense or Alter, then one additional power for each additional pip.

Lets stick with my original plan, Attribute Dice can be spent to buy Force Ability. One power comes free with the initial 1D, then one additional power for each additional pip. This would give you one power at 1D, and up to 4 powers at 2D.

If anyone stumbles across a specific rule one way or the other, we'll address the issue again at that time. Fair enough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: