The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Defels?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Defels? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K_Feldspar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a running gag with my players... Whenever someone creates a new character they ask, "Can I be a defel student of the force with an ultraviolet wavelength lightsaber?" Which just makes me cringe. Their enemies would just hear the snap-hiss of the saber igniting. So I don't allow it. I know I could get really creative to counter that, but I'm kinda lazy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just cause the Gand can see in the ultraviolet spectrum does not IMO necessarily mean he will automatically see the Defel. Yes he would neutralise the +3d bonus the defel gets, but he should still have to get past the base level sneak roll...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point garhkal, but if the defel is using that bonus, he's gonna be in shadows or near shadows. The defel should be at a penalty against anything that can really see him in true color. Imagine a hue of brilliant yellow to crystaline azure with the colors yellow, lime green, and orange on top of a black backdrop.

If you're still going to give the defel a sneak vs. perception, then the defel's sneak bonus should be +3D against the PC's and -3D against the Gand.

I would probably just let the Gand spot him unless the defel was also using cover to hide, harder to spot behind crates, barrels, and other solid objects.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, my opinion:

If the Defel is still actually sneaking (noise is still an issue), using the shadows as cover, and making sure not to stand out in the middle of somewhere where an outline could be made out, then he gets the full stealth roll plus the 3D, and only his stealth roll vs. the Gand.

If the Defel is in shadows but not doing anything to mask his outline, as would be expected of his species (standing against a wall that has a shadow upon it, etc.) then the Defel would get half his hide (keeping still, not drawing attention to himself) plus the 3D due to his invisibilty. Another way is to use a set difficulty to spot the Defel that would be for a normal being to be spotted in the same situation, the roll the 3D ontop of that. The Gand would treat this as if spotting something normal in the shadows (half the hide skill or the set difficulty number).

If the Defel is being overconfident in his appearance and just standing in plain view, or in a very light shadow, then the normal PCs would be going against the 3D (and a easy modifier added to it for using the light shadow), and the Gand would automatically see it if came across his field of view.

Which brings on the question of what one can see in the UV spectrum, which I will adress in a new thread.

~Tahlorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: