The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite stories
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Favorite stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Favorite stories Reply with quote

I've run many Star Wars D6 campaigns over the years playing through many time-periods in the Star Wars universe. I've gotten to a point where I'm worried about simply rehashing old adventures I've already run. I have a brand new campaign (two sessions in) and I'm looking for some inspiration.

My new campaign is set right around Episode 3 where force users who didn't make the cut as Jedi for whatever reason were being brought back for a second shot by the Jedi. Along the way, the Battle of Coruscant happens. The players end up incapacitated and captured. They were kept sedated basically throughout the events of Episode 3 and are eventually tasked by Palpatine to hunt down the remaining Jedi who are now enemies of the state.

I'm leaving it up to the players to decide to where their allegences lie (and if it will be a LS or DS campaign) as the story unfolds.

I have a lot of ideas for where the campaign can go long-term, but sometimes the hardest part of a campaign are the first few adventures while the party comes together.

I'm curious what your favorite gaming stories are so that I might pull pieces of inspiration from them and find ways to apply them for this campaign.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite game in one that I basically came up with as I went along.
It all started regarding a picture that I saw in one of the Star Wars books by WEG.

The group as a collection of bright-eyed new explorers. Two wish to make their fortune, one wishes to find someone to explain the mysteries of the universe, and another simply wishes to go places never seen by others.

On their way out to the Outer Rim, they decide to pull in to one of the last semi-major starports along the way. As they arrive, they discover that the space port is under attack by unknown forces. A few armed ships from the port, precious few defense fighters, and the heroe's ship are used to fend off the pirate attack that seems oddly more coordinated than a typical pirate attack.

The danger averted, the heroe's land on the station to find it in relative turmoil from the attack. The station security thank the newcomers for their assistance and query whether they want more work, and that the station is willing to compensate them for their trouble. The group declines, but begin to make a friendly contact with one of the chief security officials on the station.

Instead the group decides to earn some quick cash on a short cargo run to a neighboring system.

The cargo run turns out to be more than expected. It went off without a hitch, but in the process they found evidence of something odd going on. The Empire hadn't moved out with any real control to this area of space yet, so their presence was limited-to-non-existant. However the arrival of both an Imperial Shuttle and a Skipray Blastboat are enough to draw the group's attention.

The group travels back to the station to warn their new contact of their findings, only to find an Imperial Star Destroyer hanging in space near the station.

What occurred from there was a search expedition to find a strange relic orbiting a long barren planet, the eventual discovery of an ancient war vault that once belonged to Xim the Despot, a run-in with a third-party mercenary group, the subtle-but-complete takeover of the station by the Empire. The once proud, but small, space navy that helped defend the territory belonging to the space station was destroyed by the Empire, and labelled as rebellious traitors. The group's contact, and eventual friend, fled the station to become the start of what could be a rebel underground cell.

The heroe's get into a space-walk duel with Imperial forces taking control of the floating relic, only then realizing it was a weapon from long ago belonging to Xim the Despot. They raid the vault on the planet, this time going head-to-head with the mercenary group. This time, they find to their dismay, that their friend, and now rebel, ex-security official was working with the mercs.

The group manages to find out what was in the vault, the strange and powerful weapons, the ancient warbots, and even old Xim warships, plus plans on how to use the "hand of Xim" that orbited the barren planet in space. They convince some of the mercs that they can't let this material fall into the hands of the Empire. Their quasi-friend convinces most of the merc party to work with the group rather than against the group, but the merc captain and a special never-before-seen assassin still stick to who pays them the most: The Empire.

Imperial forces start arriving in the vault, a final battle ensues with the heroes fighting against both the Empire and portions of the merc group. Finally, the heroes manage to rig explosives to detonate and take out most of the old war vault. The heroes escape, only thanks to their former contact and friend who helps dispatch the merc captain.

As the group flies out of the system, and out of the sector, more Imperial forces arrive to "put down a sudden and very violent rebel uprising" in the sector. Their former contact, ex-security officer, doesn't join them, but instead chooses to stay in the sector of his home and fight against the Empire. The Empire gains just token knowledge of the material from Xim's old war vault and his floating weapon. The heroes pick up a new hate for the Empire, as they move on, further out into the Outer Rim, hoping to get away from the growing, suffocating influence of the Galactic Empire.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favorite was Strikeforce Shantipole. It feels real good to bring down an Imperial capital ship in pitched combat.

Complete Starship Construction System
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I think my favorite was Strikeforce Shantipole. It feels real good to bring down an Imperial capital ship in pitched combat.

I couldn't agree more! And besides taking down that Imperial ship at the end, the rest of the adventure was a blast too.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

I couldn't agree more! And besides taking down that Imperial ship at the end, the rest of the adventure was a blast too.
100% agreed.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: