The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Becoming FS...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Becoming FS...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelanoRune
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Becoming FS... Reply with quote

I'm really kind of confused on how an existing character can become FS in mid game. I'm running a game now and the character wants to become FS (I'll allow it), but what steps does he take mechanically, and what does it cost? First he is FS, is that it? Does he then have to train a Force Skill? Does he pay for it? Etc. Thanks!
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming FS... Reply with quote

It costs 20 CP to become Force Sensitive. The character begins with no Force skills or powers, so he has to train and pay for the training like any regular FS character would.
It is my opinion that there should be a good in-game/story cause for the character becoming Force Sensitive as well. Perhaps putting the character on some sort of quest , having them encounter a powerful and mysterious being, giving them some sort of ancient artifact or piece of alien technology from the deep unknown regions or having them catch a mysterious illness (the force comes from bacteria, right? Wink ) something other than "I spent 20 CP." "Okay, you're FS now." I also think anything of this sort should take at least three sessions to complete and should take some effort on behalf of the player.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming FS... Reply with quote

DelanoRune wrote:
I'm really kind of confused on how an existing character can become FS in mid game. I'm running a game now and the character wants to become FS (I'll allow it), but what steps does he take mechanically, and what does it cost? First he is FS, is that it? Does he then have to train a Force Skill? Does he pay for it? Etc. Thanks!

In terms of the game mechanics, a character wishing to become force sensitive must spend 20 CP. Upon spending 20 CP, the character also immediately receives one additional Force Point, as per the 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded rules, Page 36. In addition to the Game Mechanics, as Sabre mentions, you should create a good back story or role playing situation to explain this force sensitivity. If the PC has already accumulated enough force points (4-5) perhaps that alone could be the story, he has simply grown strong in the force and is now sensitive to it. Otherwise, their should be some RP event that explains this sensitivity.
As far as force powers go, the character can only begin to allot points to force skill if he can find a Jedi Master to train him (or using optional rules for Self Exploration). Once a force sensitive character finds a Jedi Master who agrees to train him in the force, he may begin to allocate CP to aquire skill, based on how the master teaches him (Usually Control first, but some teach Sense first...and the reckless will teach Alter first).
DelanoRune
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it would make more sense to simply start him as a FS character.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer, YUP>

But why deprive yourself of great Rping..
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG Star Wars is all about character development. There are no levels or classes to hold you within certain bounds. Just because your a brilliant capitol ship designer with a couple (A) skills doesn't mean you know how to attack or defend yourself as you would have to in WotC to have those high skill values.

There's no levels to fence you in so that you can't start off a NFS Smuggler Han type and become a FS rebel who activly seeks others to help, that becomes a Jedi Knight one day. While you could multiclass, let's not get into how badly that hurts the character's effective level.

The point is, yes it is easier to start FS if that's where you're gonna end up, but it deprives the player of the great RP opportunity to develop his character from one to the other.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello!

And there's always the old dodge that the character did't know it was sensitive to the Force....but that's a sloppy cop-out! Wink

Tony
DelanoRune
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It throws me off from time to time to think about character development this way, since I began roleplaying with level based games like D&D. I have to remind myself each time that a player isn't going to become "gimp" and he can do basically anything given enough play time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: