The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Use of the Maim rule..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Use of the Maim rule..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Use of the Maim rule.. Reply with quote

Under combat, one of the "optional rules" is that an NPC can opt to maim instead of kill, if they score a killing shot.

Do you always have them choose this? Do you look at the npcs reasons for fighting first? Do you extend it to inanimate objects (like if the pcs ram into a wall at flank speed and go boom!!)?
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Use of the Maim rule.. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Under combat, one of the "optional rules" is that an NPC can opt to maim instead of kill, if they score a killing shot.

Do you always have them choose this? Do you look at the npcs reasons for fighting first? Do you extend it to inanimate objects (like if the pcs ram into a wall at flank speed and go boom!!)?

Personally, I would suggest allowing the default option to maim only by Jedi. As for non-force sensetives, if they rolled with great success (say 5-10 higher), then they display the split-second control over their strike necessary to maim.
impfrontier
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split-second control has nothing to do with the damage chart result.

The maim option is simply a means to keep the heroes alive or for the heroes to keep from killing their foe -- note that a maiming can only be chosen by the attacker if a "Killed" result is rolled on the damage chart. Maiming will require some serious down-time for the individual and probably cybernetics on the hit location affected.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a method to prevent the loss of a beloved character. Particuilarily when a MOOK shoots him. That's right insulting (And shows that even Mooks are deadly in Star Wars, a reason I love the game!).

Arms and Legs are easy enough to explain. Head "Maims" may require new eyes or a electronic voicebox. Torso is harder to explain, but your internal organs might be damaged *JUST* enough to survive barely, but not enough for Bacta to heal.

Or, for the Groin Shot:

"Ummmmmmmm, Jack, are you feeling all right? You look... Different!" "Well, considering that I lost that part of me, I figured that going all the way would be the way to go. Do you think Triple-Ds are big enough?"
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played in three partial campaigns - and in the longest one, the GM made extensive (and usually humorous though expensive) usage of the maiming rules. It got bad enough that we had to set up the "Colin Wynne Starfighter Wings and Body Parts Fund" in our budget.

And by starfighter wings, I'm not talking about military organisations, of course; two X-wings and a rare starfighter called the Penetrator, all suffered the loss of wings in various funny fashion (though NONE of us were laughing when one of Penetrator's wings hurtled into the Chimaera...)

Body parts were somewhat milder: a right hand, smashed by a mace, and a left buttock.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples all, but still does not answer part of the quesiton, about when do you decide a npc is going to use that option....
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you care enough about the NPC.

Don't use it for Mooks (Like Greedo). But for major characters (Boba Fett).

'Course, you could have a Mook character that somehow becomes a major threat to the party.

A Lifer Veteran Stormtrooper Sargent who gets a limb or two removed, gets cybernetic replacements, and then goes rogue, hunting the group.

Make him even angrier when he goes, "You ruined my life!" and they're all "OK... Who are you?" Twisted Evil
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as for when NPC's decide to start going all Arthur vs. Black Knight on the heroes... usually when it's humorous (The bounty hunter blows yer arse away... literally!) or when the enemies are shooting to capture instead of kill, and stunning just doesn't seem to work, or if a specific group of enemies would rather inflict *financial ruination* on the heroes, instead of just death. Not all victories need have a kill tally.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Economic Warfare was used by my group a couple of times.

One infamous one where we bought out 54% of the Voting Stock of a company and fired the current CEO (Who had put a bounty on our heads.).
Pathwalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: My maiming rules Reply with quote

I decided a while back that death by wild die was a bit unsporting and that Jedi just trying to maim an opponent could accidentally kill them from shock and thus came up with these rules:

Loss of Limb/Permanent Damage
If a damage roll comes up with a wild die of "6"...
->If the damage without extra from the wild section is < killed result and wild section would make it a kill, instead of being killed, affected body part/area is permanently damaged in some way (e.g. limb removed, eye gouged out, etc.). Then, only the non-wild section counts as incurred damage, but S-1D counts as W-1D.

Jedi Maiming Rather Than Killing
On a similar vein to above, treat "16" as damage required for Jedi to remove a limb, with anything above that as incurred damage with minimum being a wound result. Note that >32 damage in this case will kill. The shock of losing a limb is very traumatic after all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: