The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Silenced Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Silenced Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense to me. Simple and effective.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:
As someone who loves using silencers on slug throwers for my PCs, most GMs i have played under with them have only given someone a Perception check to notice my firing it if within 20 meters.. otherwise they are too far away to here anything. Of the difficulties, most have hovered around 13-16.
Most modern firearms' suppressed report is over 100db. That's awfully easy to hear at 20m. I can accept, though, that Star Wars suppressors could be much better. Active noise canceling could even produce true silencers...

Where you getting that figure from? Having been at a range in iraq where we had people on the line shooting the M16/M4, as well as H&K MP5s as well as the silenced versions, i can tell ya someone standing 9 rows away with a regular MP5 was heard a lot easier than someone 2 lanes over with a silenced mp5.

Are you questioning the 100 db or the 20 meters or both?

100db isn't all that loud, considering it's a firearm. And an MP5 is 9mm, which is subsonic, so a suppressor will make a big difference.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Maybe it would be better to say that pistol or machine-pistol sized weapons can be silenced, while larger rifle and carbine scale slugthrowers can only be suppressed? My understanding is that a suppressed rifle shot can still be detected as such, just at a much shorter range, and that it is difficult to locate the source of the shot even if you do hear it.

That could work. I know those SOcom .48 pistols are REAL quiet, but even the M4 silencer variant still puts out a little noise.

Quote:

Both.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Maybe it would be better to say that pistol or machine-pistol sized weapons can be silenced, while larger rifle and carbine scale slugthrowers can only be suppressed? My understanding is that a suppressed rifle shot can still be detected as such, just at a much shorter range, and that it is difficult to locate the source of the shot even if you do hear it.

That could work. I know those SOcom .48 pistols are REAL quiet, but even the M4 silencer variant still puts out a little noise.

So what would be some alternate rules for a suppressed weapon, as opposed to a silenced one?

Quote:
Quote:

Both.

Uhhhh, wasn't 20 meters your idea?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20m is what a few other GMs in our sparks campaign have used.. And even then 2 of those who did it only had it crop up sporadically.

As to silenced/surpressed.

Perhaps suppressed shots get an easier Per check to notice (free action) or search roll (1 action) to check it where a silenced weapon is un noticable unless within 10m.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:
As someone who loves using silencers on slug throwers for my PCs, most GMs i have played under with them have only given someone a Perception check to notice my firing it if within 20 meters.. otherwise they are too far away to here anything. Of the difficulties, most have hovered around 13-16.
Most modern firearms' suppressed report is over 100db. That's awfully easy to hear at 20m. I can accept, though, that Star Wars suppressors could be much better. Active noise canceling could even produce true silencers...

Where you getting that figure from? Having been at a range in iraq where we had people on the line shooting the M16/M4, as well as H&K MP5s as well as the silenced versions, i can tell ya someone standing 9 rows away with a regular MP5 was heard a lot easier than someone 2 lanes over with a silenced mp5.

100db isn't all that loud, considering it's a firearm. And an MP5 is 9mm, which is subsonic, so a suppressor will make a big difference.
Very true. The MP5SD2 (suppressed MP5) has a reputation for being exceptionally quiet. (The report is quieter than the sound of the bolt working.) 5.56 NATO has a reputation for being loud when it's super sonic and insufficiently deadly when it's subsonic. Hence the invention of the silent but deadly .458 SOCOM.

The key factor in suppression is bullet velocity, which is also the key factor in range. I suggest that silencers not using active technology be given a theoretical range cap, beyond which subsonic ammo cannot be used.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though firearms in SW are already lesser ranged than their blaster counterparts..?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For suppressed weapons, I think I'm going to resurrect one of my original suggestions from earlier in this post. Specifically, the difficulty to detect the firing of a suppressed weapon is tied in with its range, so the difficulty to identify the sound of the shot is as follows:
    Point Blank - Very Easy
    Short - Easy
    Medium - Moderate
    Long - Difficult

Trying to identify the location of a shooter using a suppressed weapon uses the same chart, but at +10 difficulty.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be a free action (Per check) or a MAP action (search roll)?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Would that be a free action (Per check) or a MAP action (search roll)?

I think free action for the Per check to identify, but standard action (with MAPs applied as usual) for the Per / Search check to locate.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mileage may vary but mechanical suppressors don’t feel very Star Wars to me. I’d be tempted to take a concept from the video games and say that non-blaster style weapons can be upgraded to have a ‘stealth field’ The stealth field cancels out the noise and flash from the first shot completely and then burns out requiring reconditioning. The reconditioning cost would be 50% of the price of a new stealth field and the price of the stealth field would be based on the damage of the gun and it’s range. So perhaps 500 credits per D of damage multiplied by the 0.5 for a gun with a maximum range of less than 50 metres, multiplied by 1 for a maximum range of between 50 and 150 and multiplied by 2 for a maximum range greater than 150 metres.

The numbers are just off the top of my head but that means a gun with a maximum range of 300 metres and a damage of 5D would cost 2500 x 2 or 5000 to silence and then 2500 to recondition once the stealth field has been used.

It isn’t as good as a mechanical suppressor, which while not completely silent can last for a great many shots (depending on the technology, some last for ten shots or less) but it doesn’t feel in the spirit of Star Wars to have silent firearms that can be used at will, I like the idea that if you want to be silent then by and large you need to avoid gunplay altogether.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've already discussed the possibility above of active silencing technology, using active sound dampening systems. If you don't feel that silenced firearms feel Star Wars, that's fine, but it isn't an opinion that I share.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
We've already discussed the possibility above of active silencing technology, using active sound dampening systems. If you don't feel that silenced firearms feel Star Wars, that's fine, but it isn't an opinion that I share.
Same here. Star Wars, especially in the original trilogy, seems to be more about doing with a greasy metal can, what other sci-fi shows would use a supercomputer and force field generator for.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since several official source books list them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: