The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need a starter/tutorial campaign for beginners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Need a starter/tutorial campaign for beginners.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osiris_Raslyn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Need a starter/tutorial campaign for beginners. Reply with quote

While I have had my Star Wars D6 books for years, I have never role-played. I don't know anyone who has, which has been a problem.
I'm considering seeing if I can get a group of my friends together to try to create a role-playing group, but I need a little help.

What I need is a campaign designed to help a group of people who have never played a RPG to get into Star Wars D6 easily. It needs to be reasonably simple and acts as a tutorial. Also, it needs stuff to help out a 1st time GM run the game.

I only have four books, all for the first edition game:
The original 1st Edition corebook.
The original 1st Edition sourcebook
The Imperial Sourcebook (1st Edition)
Heir of the Empire sourcebook

Any help at getting this done will be greatly appreciated.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd get the old WEG adventure books. These books guide the GM by hand IMO. They may be a bit old-fashioned adventures, but still some of them are pretty good.

I recommend "Starfall" as it fast and exciting. It is pretty linear so there won't be much problems for the players, but they have to roll high!

"Black Ice" is also fun, especially when the players "meet" Darth Vader Wink. "Domain of Evil" looks good and I always wanted to run it.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strikeforce Shantipole imo is one of the better "Low level" modules to start people off in.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you'll be playing 1st edition? If that's the case, there is an adventure, "Rebel Breakout" page 100-114 that might serve as a good starting point.

Some first time GM advice:
-Do your homework, read the rulebook, and read the adventure you will be running at least twice, even if its an adventure that you wrote.
-Pre-written stories are great for new GMs. You have a story with everything you need to run it without doing a lot of work yourself. Also, in most cases, they even tell you which parts to read out loud.
-Play a solo game or two with your own character (p17-24 in th 1st ed book has a short one) This will let you get a feel for how the game should play.
-Talk with your players a head of time, let them know you are new at this and still learning. And dont be afraid to admit you made a mistake and fix it. Just make sure you are being fair if you need to make any changes/adjustments mid game.
-At the end of the game, ask what people thought. What did they like? What didnt they like? Their overall impression? What did they learn about the game? Etc.
-And the most important thing: Its more important to have fun than it is to get everything perfect.
Osiris_Raslyn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
If I were you, I'd get the old WEG adventure books. These books guide the GM by hand IMO. They may be a bit old-fashioned adventures, but still some of them are pretty good.

I recommend "Starfall" as it fast and exciting. It is pretty linear so there won't be much problems for the players, but they have to roll high!

"Black Ice" is also fun, especially when the players "meet" Darth Vader Wink. "Domain of Evil" looks good and I always wanted to run it.

That's a good suggestion, but does anyone have a free alternative, since my money (even my Christmas money) is tied up in other things?
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want, I can send you a PDF with an adventure - Jaws of the Sarlacc. It is an old D6 adventure posted on some SW website long time ago. Simple Rebs vs Empire and simple to run I think, although characters should be a bit experienced (or given more CPs).

---

Adventure Background
This adventure takes place in the time just
after the Battle of Hoth, and incorporates elements
of the Dark Forces computer game. The action
begins on an orbital space platform around the
planet of Kaal, an Imperial resort world specializing
in agriculture. The characters need not be actual
members of the Rebellion, but it would help greatly
if they had at least Rebel sympathies, or at least a
desire to see the destruction of a new Imperial
weapon. The characters should be moderately
experienced, and prepared for combat against
powerful opponents.

----

The other free adventure I always like to run is - The Abandoned Asteroid.
Available here: http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=55 .

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Osiris_Raslyn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...If you're using 1st Ed. I recommend getting the Star Wars Rules Companion if you haven't been able to track it down already. I adds so much for 1st Edition usage (including Equipment modification, Capital Ship Combat, Droid Construction & an adventure 'To Free The Forgotten').

...I concur with using the 'Rebel Breakout' scenario in the 1st Ed. Rulebook to start off a group of would-be Rebels: it's a simple scenario & allows for expansion with little effort! From there I would recommend the module Tatooine Manhunt, followed by Strike Force:Shantipole, Domain of Evil, Game Chambers of Questal,Otherspace, Starfall, Battle for the Golden Sun, Crisis on Cloud City,Otherspace 2, Riders of the Maelstrom, & Black Ice in that order.
...For Independent Traders (at least initially) then Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighter Captains is a good place to begin (essentially a campaign already laid out).

...My 2 (1st Ed.) creds worth anyway. 8)
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Rebel Breakout Reply with quote

Several people in this thread mentioned the old "Rebel Breakout" adventure in the 1st Ed. Rulebook. Anybody know if it's ever been converted to 2nd. R&E? Seems like a great candidate if it has not.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that I've run the "Starfall" adventure and it is indeed a lot of fun (and a great start to a campaign). I ran my kids through it years ago and we all had a great time (exciting, breakneck pace as the PCs run around inside an old Victory-class Star Destroyer).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: