The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Aliens Crossover into Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Aliens Crossover into Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's implicit in the whole 'xenomorph' name- Aliens 3 is just the first to make it explicit by actually showing an organism OTHER than a human as host.

Now, if only they could've done it without killing Hicks and Newt, which one reviewer rightly described as 'an abomination'...

Hard core OT, all the way!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of my Btech sites (iirc) when we were discussing aliens etc, someone mentioned there WAS a script wrote out that did have Hicks and newt survive, but cause the powers that be supposedly only wanted one big name from the last film in the new one (similar to how ripley was the only one from Alien to survive) they went with who was bringing in the audiences.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, xenomorph refers only to alien life forms in general, not aliens in particular. Xeno for "different", morph for "form". Lieutenant Gorman used the term once in the film, and fans took the term and ran with it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On one of my Btech sites (iirc) when we were discussing aliens etc, someone mentioned there WAS a script wrote out that did have Hicks and newt survive, but cause the powers that be supposedly only wanted one big name from the last film in the new one (similar to how ripley was the only one from Alien to survive) they went with who was bringing in the audiences.

The way I remember to have heard it, the movie stewed in Development Hell for so long it vent overbudget pretty much from constant script re-writes alone. Big part of the problem was supposedly Sigourney herself being moody about the whole thing, first not wanting to return, then wanting to, then wanting more money, then not wanting to return again, etc.

Anyway, I'm in possession of one of the earlier scripts for Alien 3 that was circulationg on the net sometime back. Written by William Gibson, no less.
It's not terrible, but not so great either, imho. Both Newt and Hicks survive, but Newt and Ripley herself are quickly "put on a bus" and Hicks becomes the new main character.
If anyone's interested I'd be happy to share.
- Tom Lehrer
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Technically, xenomorph refers only to alien life forms in general, not aliens in particular. Xeno for "different", morph for "form". Lieutenant Gorman used the term once in the film, and fans took the term and ran with it.

See, that showcases my linguistic ignorance. I would have simply assumed it was 'Xeno' (Alien), Morph (Take the form of). Smile Which sounds good in my head, as most things I make up off the top of it do. Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

See, that showcases my linguistic ignorance. I would have simply assumed it was 'Xeno' (Alien), Morph (Take the form of). Smile Which sounds good in my head, as most things I make up off the top of it do. Wink

I agree that it does sound like a good fit. However, in the canon context of the Alien universe, xenomorph was just bureaucratese for "alien lifeform". Oh well. I don't care what its called so long as I never meet one in person.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: