The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

coordinated fire from massed enemies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> coordinated fire from massed enemies Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure I follow with the suppressive fire. The purpose of suppressive fire is to give allies a chance to maneuver, and if a supppressing shooter ever has a clear shot, he should be ready to destroy his target. Just "keeping the enemy's head down" is a waste of ammo.

If the enemis cover can be destroyed by the weapons being used, then its not "suppression." Its "effective small arms fire, and the targets are in peril of being shot all along.

The idea behind suppression is for group A to occupy the enemy while group B maneuvers around the cover attacking the exposed flank. If there is no group B, then group A must divide into two groups to effect the desired outcome.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I just didnt quite catch the real intent behind your HR, Garkhal.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it was, was that i had my own rules for suppression fire (2 kinds) but sparks boiled it down (for ease of being included in our group) to one..
Spray fire.
This is the act of moving the guns barrel to the left and right rapidly, while holding down the trigger. It is also a full round action (half move can be allowed), and so can not be used with reaction skills. Unlike FAST, this must have a FULL clip or 50 round belt. It can be used in 2 fashions. Cover fire, or to damage:

Damage sprays.
The gunner makes ONE roll, adding in the bonus dice he gets for the weapon. Each target within the area above 1 (for SMGs and assault rifles) or 5 (for LMG to HMG) subtracts one from this die pool. Then each of those targets gets to add in the recoil value to their individual dodge rolls. If any are hit, the damage is rolled individually.

Weapon / To hit bonus dice / Damage bonus dice
Sub machine guns (SMG) / 3D / 1D
Assault rifles / 3D / 2D
Light machine guns (LMG) / 4D / 3D
Medium machine guns (MMG) / 4D / 3D
Heavy machine guns (HMG) / 5D / 4D

Cover sprays.
Unlike the former, this is not used to cause damage, but to stop the enemy from returning fire. The user still gets the addition of the FA dice (listed above), but does NOT subtract any dice for targets in the spray field. BUT he does subtract dice based on the AREA of the spray field. The gunner THEN rolls, against a difficulty assigned by the GM (based on range to the area for the cover spray, cover/concealment in the cover spray area and any other factors he deems necessary). If it hits, anyone in the area of cover spray suffers a penalty to their to hit pools of –3 per 5 points of difference between the gunners to hit pool and the diff set.

AREA / MOD
5mtr by 5mtr / No pen
10mtr by 10mtr / -1d
15mtr by 15mtr / -1d+2
20mtr by 20mtr / -2d+1
25mtr by 25mtr / -3d
30mtr by 30mtr / -3d+2
35mtr by 35mtr / -4d+1
40mtr by 40mtr / -5d
45mtr by 45mtr / -5d+2
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably have cover fire do some damage or at least have some damage potential.

Otherwise if someone is being suppressed they could just charge headlong into the people laying down covering fire and if they get hit all it does it throw off their aim... not really a problem when you're just repositioning.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i posted, for me it does do damage. Sparks though made it where all it can be used for is breaking up combined fire.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, Gharkal, I think Sparks messed it up. If suppressive fire has no damage potential, as mentioned above, it really doesn't do anything.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As often as enemies use combined fire, i have seen many groups use the 'suppression fire' to break it up.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppression fire stops the other side from shooting, but all in the side suppressing don't suppress; some fire back at those being suppressed.

(I think I said suppressed too many times....)
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! Help! I'm being suppressed! Come see the violence inherent in the (gaming) system!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: