The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reducing Rolls for Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Reducing Rolls for Force Powers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an alternative that might be more to the liking of those concerned that the OP's idea helps Jedi a little too much. Plus, this version is more streamlined because you don't have to mess with totals.

Roll the lowest value force skill against the highest difficulty associated with the power, applying the total number of maps you'd usually incur for activating the power.

Ex. Lightsaber Combat. Requires a Moderate Control and Easy Sense roll. Our Jedi has Control at 4d+1 and Sense at 3d+2. To activate this power in one action, the Jedi would roll 2d+2 (Sense -1d map) against a Moderate difficulty.

This still let's the Jedi activate faster, but doesn't let him compensate for a low skill by bringing a higher skill into the total.

I like the OP's idea, by the way. Just attempting to improve the already creative!
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always felt that only the MOST relevant skill should be rolled, with the other "skills" involved serving as prerequisites by way of Force power prerequisites. For example, affect mind has a long list of prerequisites, but ultimately, it's an alter power, so just roll alter vs the target's opposed roll.

LSC is interesting because I see it as both a control and sense power. Control for the melee aspect, and sense for the deflection aspect. My solution was simply to eliminate LSC from the list of powers and make the concept inherent in the lightsaber skill itself. In my version, sense is rolled by itself as a reaction against blaster attacks, while control is added to damage for melee combat, or you can use control to boost your attack roll instead (so you trade damage for increased reflexes/speed/agility etc). So it eliminates doubling up your skills into one attack/parry.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this rule making things harder for non force users to stay competitive with the force slingers?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as of yet. Of course, we're running a dark side campaign and only two out of six of the characters are non force users.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think its cause of your rules for force users, you only have 2 of 6 pcs being non force users?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, actually, the characters were created before I even mentioned the house rule.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Yes, it has for us too so far. I'm only using it in the Play by Post game I'm running over at my own site, but I haven't seen any issues with it yet. We'll see how things stack up when there is a lot more Force slingin' taking place...soon...(Skyler, you didn't read this)...

You so KNOW I did! lol

@garkhal: We actually have a very good group of players in the game Jamfke mentioned, and we have an EXCELLENT GM in Jamfke (no, I'm not kissing @$$ here, but feel free to slide me some extra CPs...lol) and there has, thus far, been a perfect balance. The players are playing the characters they WANT to play, and we are having a great time playing around with this dark side campaign. I think that's the true test of whether or not it's gonna work...how the PLAYERS handle it. If you have a player who gets to run his dream character, he's gonna play it to the hilt. And a gifted GM like Jamfke (again, not kissing butt here, unless you actually get your FIRST game on here up and running again [wink wink nudge nudge] knows where the gaps are, and makes allowances for them to make things more even. Jamfke has proven to be a master of this; he's very detail-oriented, and he's willing to listen to his players, and the result is a very well-crafted and well-run game.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir...

I'll add the CPs to your sheet in a moment...

LOL!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO!!!

Guess I'd better get over there and make sure it's been done...lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: