The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Starting Jedi Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Enhance attribute on the skill needed (mechanical for those 2 examples) followed by Concentration. 4d control is all that is needed to routinely get +6d bonus for that one action.

How do you figure +6D? Enhance attribute grants +1D with a roll of up to 28... to get +2D you'd need to roll a 40. The +3D you seem to be referring to would require rolls higher than 40, which, "routinely" requires more than 10D in control.

If concentration is rolled in the same round, it's bonus is offset by -1D for a MAP and then the remaining +3D is allocated to one specific action, and that is the only action the character may take. They may not even dodge! So, at 4D control, it's more realistic that the enhanced attribute (+1D) would be fully offset/negated by the MAP from rolling concentration and a given skill in the same round.

Anyway, there is an obvious difference in the way we see the Force in D6 and the problems it causes. We've all got our solutions to these problems, as our play groups will certainly have different play styles. Like I said before, no-one in our group usually plays a Jedi (except for me) because they don't want to deal with the Jedi code. Too much hassle. Even though they could be rolling 12 or 13D halfway through the campaign...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:

So, why Force skills during character creation cost as much as attribute, but later like normal skills?

Also, my conception is somehow similar to Force attribute - if you had Force attribute at 1D, you had effectively all Force skills at 1D. So I don't think your calculations of 22D make sense. Especially that I playtested my rules and conclusions are opposite (Jedi seems to be weaker than the rest of PCs).

Cause a skil is just that.. blaster does not affect your brawl parry, or dodge.. Alter does affect all force powers Under the alter tree, which is more akin to an attribute.

Quote:
How do you figure +6D? Enhance attribute grants +1D with a roll of up to 28... to get +2D you'd need to roll a 40. The +3D you seem to be referring to would require rolls higher than 40, which, "routinely" requires more than 10D in control.

14-25 over the base diff (15) is what is needed.. So at min you get +1d (16-29) +4d from concentration. Still giving the jedi 5d over what his base skill is.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line, if you want to hamper the Jedi because you don't have a player capable of running him without being a power-mad Emperor wannabe: TAKE AWAY HIS LIGHTSABER.

Unless you're playing a specialized game where you have Grey Paladins or something, where they're not usually restricted to a lightsaber as their primary weapon, when you take away this weapon, you've severely hampered them in combat. Sure, with Concentration, they can boost their abilities in any other skill, and Concentration is a staple skill; it's MEANT to help a Jedi focus on what they're doing so they can do it better. But it doesn't always work. Case in point: I'm currently playing a character on another site who came across a Jedi in our travels, and has learned some of the ways of the Force from him.

Two important things here: First, my character has indeed learned LSC, although he doesn't have his own lightsaber. His Master has just been taken away from him, and not only does he not have a lightsaber, he only has some of the components with which to build one. He's already looked into the crystals, which are now illegal, and the places where they can be normally and most easily found are interdicted by the Empire. He's also looked into synthesizing them, and has found that the equipment required costs WAY more than he has. Ergo, he's not getting a lightsaber anytime soon without a miracle.

Second, the party is currently in their ship, evading fire from a group of hostile fighters. My character is in one of the turrets, and I've been routinely using Concentration and Starship Gunnery to fire at them. Thing is, I haven't scored a single hit. His SG score is a measly 2D, and once I was able to get him sufficiently calmed to successfully USE Concentration, my rolls still weren't enough to hit the starfighters.

Bottom line is, even with the "Maxi-big, the Force," you're not guaranteed imminent success. You might have enough Force skill dice to successfully hit the Concentration roll every time, but if you're dealing with skills that you haven't yet developed, you might be dealing with constant failure as well.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing Jedi, but for the game to be fun, the character needs to be able to succeed at the skills that are part of his concept (Force skills).

Affect mind IS more powerful than persuasion, but its wayyyy harder to pull off and not usually worth trying until you reach at least 6 or 7D in ALL 3 skills. Hence, in my 17 years of playing I've used the power three times, and it worked only once.

If the power couple be used at the somewhat lower levels of play, I wouldn't feel the need to revamp every aspect of Force use in the rules.

My bottom line opinion is simply this: There needs to be more diversity among Jedi PCs in the skill selection and useability of those skills. d20, unfortunately, does a much better job of facilitating this, but D6 feels overall more like Star Wars. So, I spend hours upon hours looming for ways to "bring balance to the Force" within the rules that allows someone to be exactly what they envision from session one, building in power as they play, but not feeling like their character is gimped purely because of the potential for greater power later (when many campaigns don't last nearly long enough for a Jedi character to ever be fully realized).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
I think treating force skills like attributes during character creation is total mistake. 1D in Force skill is IMO much less powerful than 1D in attribute. And if we compare improvement costs during game it's 10 to 1! To raise an attribute from 3D to 3D+1 yo uneed to pay 30CP, to raise Force skill you need only 3CP (or 6CP without teacher or using my HR).

So, why Force skills during character creation cost as much as attribute, but later like normal skills?

This point by Tupteq is an excellent one that shows where some of the problems are in constructing starting Jedi.

Last night I allowed my Jedi Knight PC to "start over". We started from scratch, and instead of putting 15D into his other attributes (making him below average intelligence and in perceiving the world around him), and instead of spending 5 of his 7D starting skills on Force skills, I let him do like a regular character:

18D for his six Attributes
7D for skills (some of which went to Force skills)
10D more for Force skills

So now he has stats/attributes like the rest of the PCs (and has some 3D where he used to be 2D), which fits for me because I don't recall Jedi being sub-par in stats, compared to the rest of the party.

He spent 4D of his beginning 7 in some skills that made sense.

And he "started out" with 1D in each of the Force skills, using that extra 10 to bump them up to 5D, 4D, and 4D, giving him stats now much more akin to a Jedi Knight than what we had before.

Again, I find the Jedi Code to already have something that gives lots of restrictions and handicaps on what the player/character can do. He now can feel more like a Knight, and be competent, without completely outclassing and outshining the rest of the party.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did every one else get effectively 17d on top of their 18d attributes? Or was this something for 'jedi knights' only?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact is, the rules were written to emulate the original films. Jedi were all but gone in the galaxy, so the rules were made out to keep any Force wielding characters limited. If you intend to have a Jedi Knight as a starting character, then you must treat them differently than a normal starting character.

Jedi Knights are better than the average character in terms of skill use and their powers. They're also virtual war machines when it comes to lightsaber combat, so they will outshine the other normal characters in that area.

The thing is, if you are playing your campaign in the Prequel era, your Force users should be powerful. They should be better than the average non Force using characters, because that's the way they were. Therefore, you must give them better starting dice than a normal character to reflect this. Just because the RAW says something, it doesn't make it the end-all be-all for the game.

If all of the players are okay with the way things are handled, then there is no problem. If/when I run a game in the Prequel era, I usually give the players the same amount of starting dice because I want them to be competent from the get-go. My recent Dark Side campaign started with each character receiving 16 skill dice. Most of the players decided upon playing Force users, while a couple chose to go with regular characters. The ratio of mundane skills to Force skills was pretty even, and so far they are keeping pace with each other nicely.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jamfke, I see things much the same way.

garhkal wrote:
Did every one else get effectively 17d on top of their 18d attributes? Or was this something for 'jedi knights' only?

No, the other characters got 7D for their skills, so the Jedi is effectively getting 10D more in skills.

As I've said before, I think the many restrictions on Jedi balances things out quite a bit.

The only other player aware of this bonus (so far, being as we only did it over the last few days) is one who is also planning to play a Jedi, though likely the first Jedi's padawan. He'd been contemplating starting with less than 18D in starting attribute dice, being as he wants to start young (12-13 years old, perhaps). Being as the Jedi got these bonuses, he's now leaning towards taking 15D for attributes (like everyone else).

I think my players are pretty reasonble and understanding, and they'll "get" the fact that the Jedi needs a few more dice to start out, to more accurately portray the world of the films.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't do that. This may cause that game will become a theater of one actor (and few extra). Jedi Knight is above average, but if one player is above average, then why not the rest of group? His company could be: a staged smuggler, veteran scout and experienced noble negotiator (also proficient with aggressive negotiations), not a bunch of amateurs.

I'm pretty sure my players wouldn't accept such unbalanced group. The worst thing that may happen is that other players may feel useless, because 'favored' character may do all what they can, but better. Such situation has happened to me (as a player) few times and it was very frustrating. And even if your players say "ok, we don't see the problem", the truth may be different (after few sessions they may be frustrated by 'mr.diing-all-better'). And Jedi restrictions really don't change anything, in the worst case it may divide PCs to one, who does all the things except killing, and the rest doing nothing, but bad things.

Of course, it's your game and your players, maybe it will be different in your case, but I wanted to share with you my bed feelings about this (based on my experience).
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

garhkal wrote:

No, the other characters got 7D for their skills, so the Jedi is effectively getting 10D more in skills.

As I've said before, I think the many restrictions on Jedi balances things out quite a bit.

The only other player aware of this bonus (so far, being as we only did it over the last few days) is one who is also planning to play a Jedi, though likely the first Jedi's padawan. He'd been contemplating starting with less than 18D in starting attribute dice, being as he wants to start young (12-13 years old, perhaps). Being as the Jedi got these bonuses, he's now leaning towards taking 15D for attributes (like everyone else).

I think my players are pretty reasonble and understanding, and they'll "get" the fact that the Jedi needs a few more dice to start out, to more accurately portray the world of the films.

Perhaps the other players should receive some extra dice in skills as well. There's nothing wrong with "beefing up" the others to make them a little better than an average starting character. Especially if they are trying to hang with the Jedi Knight. Give them the same number of starting dice with a cap on how many they can spend per skill, like instead of the traditional 2D per skill, take it up to 4D, or 5D per skill. This will get you some characters that are able to have skills that matter. That way you can avoid the "theater of one" that Tupteq mentions.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Fact is, the rules were written to emulate the original films. Jedi were all but gone in the galaxy, so the rules were made out to keep any Force wielding characters limited. If you intend to have a Jedi Knight as a starting character, then you must treat them differently than a normal starting character.

Jedi Knights are better than the average character in terms of skill use and their powers. They're also virtual war machines when it comes to lightsaber combat, so they will outshine the other normal characters in that area.

The thing is, if you are playing your campaign in the Prequel era, your Force users should be powerful. They should be better than the average non Force using characters, because that's the way they were. Therefore, you must give them better starting dice than a normal character to reflect this. Just because the RAW says something, it doesn't make it the end-all be-all for the game.

If all of the players are okay with the way things are handled, then there is no problem. If/when I run a game in the Prequel era, I usually give the players the same amount of starting dice because I want them to be competent from the get-go. My recent Dark Side campaign started with each character receiving 16 skill dice. Most of the players decided upon playing Force users, while a couple chose to go with regular characters. The ratio of mundane skills to Force skills was pretty even, and so far they are keeping pace with each other nicely.

Seems to me to be powermongering. Why can't the jedi wanna be start out as a padawan. Why do they have to start out as a knight to be 'cool'?

Quote:

What other restrictions is going to balance out gaining 10+D? Easier gaining of DSPs? Depends on how the DM hands them out.
Hunted? Well if they are already starting out AS knights, being 'hunted' is obviously not on their minds.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't do that. This may cause that game will become a theater of one actor (and few extra). Jedi Knight is above average, but if one player is above average, then why not the rest of group? His company could be: a staged smuggler, veteran scout and experienced noble negotiator (also proficient with aggressive negotiations), not a bunch of amateurs.

Exactly? Why should only the jedi get to be 'above normal, akin to those we see in the films;? Why not have the fighter jock, play someone akin to wedge (squadron leader), or a general/admiral??

Quote:
Perhaps the other players should receive some extra dice in skills as well. There's nothing wrong with "beefing up" the others to make them a little better than an average starting character. Especially if they are trying to hang with the Jedi Knight. Give them the same number of starting dice with a cap on how many they can spend per skill, like instead of the traditional 2D per skill, take it up to 4D, or 5D per skill. This will get you some characters that are able to have skills that matter. That way you can avoid the "theater of one" that Tupteq mentions.

Then it becomes an 'arms race'. You boost jedi to be more "Like what we see in the films (even though by the original trilogy, only 4 force users existed, and 3 were dead by the end of the third film), making your non force users feel left out.
you then have to boost them up, and again the jedi pcs will be feeling like they are no longer special...
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends entirely on the play stile of people.

Unfortunately, most people look on stats and get cranky and feel it being unfair that another player gets more startin D then they do, even so the character is supposed to be stronger based on the background of the gameworld.

I mean, some of you do give out different CP based on how the players roleplay and the like, so y do you are so strongly against giving a Jedi more points at the beginning? (I don't know which of you do, but based on what I read in this forum, some of you do that)

The Problem is, that the Starting characters should be more or less the same in strength. But if a Jedi Plaer want's that his character can even remotely use the Force, he becomes FAR weaker then all the other characters.
When he gets to use LSC and is able to activate it successfull most of the times, we're already at a phase in game where the other characters are so much powerful that the Jedi NEEDS those bonus points.

The Beauty of the SW D6 Force powers is, that they don't make other powers completely redundent from the very beginning! (Unless you play with some of the houseruled or converted Force Powers seen on d6holocron wiki)
They mostly enable you to do things that you otherwise couldn't to to begin with and even when they do something you could do normally it is very very hard that only at the very end of the game you can do it (I mean look at the relationship modifiers, if you don't know someone and he is another race, you get +30 to the difficulty.. on average, you need 9D(!) to counter that effect.).

Personally, I think Jedi Characters SHOULD get more points. Let them create a character like anyone else and then give them maybe 4-5D that they can put freely in the force skills (with maybe 2D or 3D max in one skill). Houserule LSC and simply remove Concentration from the game and everything is fine. The Jedi is not completely worthless but he also won't overpower the others. And he won't do that for a LONG time to come, because the powers that could make him extremely strong have high difficulty levels and are subjeted to the distance and relatiohship modifiers that nearly make it impossible to use several powers (Like the Mind Control power... seriously, who needs to use those powers on someone they know and are friends with? You mostly use them on someone you don't know or havn't even heard of, so the diffictuly modifier is at least +15, mostly more, which, on average, needs 4D+ to counter).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I think Jedi Characters SHOULD get more points.

But why SHOULD a jedi pc get more starting points than any other pc, just by virtue of being a jedi?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the inherent Jedi hate going on in this thread by some people.

Again I'll state, it really depends on the type of game you are running. If running a Prequel era game, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a starting Jedi character receiving more points to start with. To ensure a measure of balance within the group, however, you need to give the mundanes an equal share of starting points. I don't see how this can be considered power-mongering, nor does it make the Jedi any less special.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

garhkal wrote:

The problem with this is that we've been playing regularly for over a year, and everyone is doing nicely/well. As I'd mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure none of my characters has ever been wounded before! And there's been plenty of combat! Without even being munchkins or power gamers, they've carved through all opposition, even other NPCs built the same as them (18D in attributes and with Character Points).

The only one who's seemed a bit lackluster has been the Jedi. It's been sort of "Well, we could ask the Jedi, but he's dumb as a post, so why would we do that?" [It's never been that, and I exaggerate, but with his 2D Knowledge and 2D Perception he's been far weaker and more inept than any Jedi seen in the films!]

I feel that to boost up the others does get to an escalation problem, which would just mean that I'd have to do even tougher villains to challenge them! We started out with three tough combatants (out of six), and one player switched out PCs so that it's now just two (the Jedi and one other). Nonetheless, they each shine in their various areas, and I don't feel any kind of boost is really necessary for them. The pilot is amazing as a pilot and mechanic, the noble can charm the socks off of anybody, negotiate amazingly, etc. The only one really needing this boost (to make the character competent) is the Jedi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: