The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire - were you talking about the Order 66 Podcast when you mentioned Schweighofer and Hershey being on the show?

That is too bad about Fiddleback. I thought I saw somewhere on these forums where someone was talking about setting up a Star Wars d6 podcast.

Nico - yep, the boxed sets may be the hardest for you, but the Adventure Journals seem pretty easy to find on Ebay, along with the Sisar Run, Hideouts, and Pirates books.

By the way, I noticed on Jay Little's Twitter account that while he is no longer full-time with FFG, he is still working freelance while he's dealing with medical issues. Sure hope his health improves.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, on US Ebay stuff is cheap, unfortunately shipping costs are horrible. Strangely some companies, like Thriftbook, are able to send me books for the flat rate of 5$...
Oh well, when I visit US next year...maybe...I will leave all my clothes when returning and take all the books into allowed luggage instead Very Happy .

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New sourcebook coming about Corellian sector. Nice!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4350

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Cheshire - were you talking about the Order 66 Podcast when you mentioned Schweighofer and Hershey being on the show?

That is too bad about Fiddleback. I thought I saw somewhere on these forums where someone was talking about setting up a Star Wars d6 podcast.

Somehow I missed this. Sorry, Red 331, but the way it's looking someone made an offhand joke about Fiddleback doing a D6 podcast, but it was just a joke. I e-mailed him and he said he'd never even played D6.

But, yeah. Hershey is not uncommonly on the show, and IIRC Sweig was on after the Force Unleashed book came out. Geez, that was so long ago now I don't even know what episode that would have been. And I could also just be remembering incorrectly.

Nico_Davout wrote:
New sourcebook coming about Corellian sector. Nice!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4350

Now that's relatively uncharted territory in SWRPG! Nice find! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally played my first session. No surprise, great system. No turning back 8) .

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: WEG vs. FFG Reply with quote

Happy New Year! I appreciate the pro-FFG SW EotE posts, but I was hoping those of you that own or have played it can further elucidate on the comparisons to the WEG D6 SW RPG. How is the new game better than WEG D6? Why would you play the new game vs. the original SW RPG? Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
gallandro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WEG vs. FFG Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Happy New Year! I appreciate the pro-FFG SW EotE posts, but I was hoping those of you that own or have played it can further elucidate on the comparisons to the WEG D6 SW RPG. How is the new game better than WEG D6? Why would you play the new game vs. the original SW RPG? Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I love both and still play WEG from time to time. But by and large our group has moved on to FFG for a number of reasons:

1) The Die Mechanic. I absolutely love the die mechanic and the possibilities introduced by a mechanic that is more than simple pass or fail, but introduces the possibility of failure while gaining advantage, or success while introducing various obstacles. Yes, there's a certain amount of reeducating yourself and your players, but once you get the hang of it the mechanic flows beautifully.

2) Cooperative Play: The one thing the mechanic has led to in our group is more cooperative play between me (the GM) and players. For example, let's say one of my players rolls and fails his task, but the roll comes up with a number of advantages. Well, when we started playing I would usually do most of the interpretation of factors outside of success and failure, as time went on I started to encourage the players to come up with an explanation for Advantages, Threats, etc. It was a little slow at first, but now it's become 2nd nature to my players... Now they are active participants in telling the story. Maybe the character missed his target, but those two Advantages he rolled means he hit a canister of coolant behind the target, spilling it across the floor, putting the bad guy at a disadvantage and requiring him to add a Setback die on future rolls as the floor is slick.

The mechanic has simply created a world of new storytelling options for myself and my players that a simple pass or fail system does not allow for. While WEG has the Wild Die it really is more about enhancing the end result of a roll.

For me those are probably two of the biggest selling points. There are many other aspects of FFGs system that I feel really add to the Star Wars atmosphere like Obligation (in Edge of the Empire) and Duty (in Age of Rebellion). I also enjoy the character progression system and I love how FFG is handling the Force to this point. Yes there's no fullblown Jedi in the game (they are coming later this year in the Force and Destiny Beta), but they way Force abilities are handled is very interesting and allows Force users to still be powerful while not completely dominating the rest of the group.

Like I said, still love me some WEG and would never turn down an invitation to play, but my go to Star Wars RPG is FFG right now.

Yancy
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent description, gallandro!

Reminds me of some of the more narrative games I've discovered over the last few years, such as The One Ring (which uses customized dice) and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (which has some of that communal 'telling the story' elements).
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the latest book on explorers. Given my RL time restrictions and my general lack of free reading time I haven't gotten around to do much more than browse through it. However, it looks like it's really taken to a "fluff over crunch" setup that we've missed in the last 15 years. Some of the equipment also looks like it wouldn't be too terrible to port over either.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrative and interactive are wonderful aspects of any RPG and I love quality fluff, but on the other hand, the FFG SW EotE core book is very crunchy-looking. I haven't read much of it yet but it seems to have pages and pages and pages of rules (and some more rules), which unfortunately initiates a gag reflex akin to my revulsion of the D20 game system.

I don't want to seem like I'm viciously attacking FFG's game or being overly defensive of D6. I truly do want to give FFG every positive consideration possible.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same feelings like gallandro about FFG. Storytelling! From the same reason I changed Call of Cthulhu for Trail of Cthulhu.

However, I must say that rulebook is not written properly. Rules are often mixed with comments or description of the system. I don't like it, it doesn't help when you look for a rule. Proofreader also did not do his work correctly.
Section for GM is superb for the people who start their adventure with RPG. It is completely needless for me now, but I wish I had something like this 15 years ago.

One thing I like as a GM is that I dont have to care about talents for NPCs. In d20 it was a nightmare, dozens of talents for each NPC, a lot of time lost. Here NPCs have their special talents only for them. Except for "minions" who do not have any talents and act in group (great idea IMO) to speed up the game.

One of the best example how to explain extreme results of die rolls is this one:

Characters want to convince a moff that they are Emperor's agents whom he sent to retrive the package. They roll success and despair. They convinced the moff and he gave them the package, but when they were leaving his office they have met an ISB agent with two bodyguards that were on their trail...

cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Narrative and interactive are wonderful aspects of any RPG and I love quality fluff, but on the other hand, the FFG SW EotE core book is very crunchy-looking. I haven't read much of it yet but it seems to have pages and pages and pages of rules (and some more rules), which unfortunately initiates a gag reflex akin to my revulsion of the D20 game system.

Yes, the core book is oppressively crunchy. The explorers supplement is not. It really looks like a supplement to GG8: Scouts. It shows a great number of other reasons why characters would go to less charted territories.

I'm looking forward to the Correllian sourcebook to see what that is like.
gallandro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Thanks for the excellent description, gallandro!

Reminds me of some of the more narrative games I've discovered over the last few years, such as The One Ring (which uses customized dice) and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (which has some of that communal 'telling the story' elements).

And that's the direction I've been moving as a GM over the past few years... For me it began with Spirit of the Century a few years back and I soon began playing FATE and later moved the Marvel Heroic.

As I've gotten older I just have less and less prep time so games like Hero and D&D have gone by the wayside for me. I also LOVE the interactivity that these narrative systems create. I love that my players are no longer passive observers in a story... they are telling it with me. It's increased my fun level about 1000%

Yancy
gallandro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I don't want to seem like I'm viciously attacking FFG's game or being overly defensive of D6. I truly do want to give FFG every positive consideration possible.

I don't find the system that crunchy at all. The mechanic is extremely simple and most of the "crunch" from the rules are simply examples or options for players or GMs to consider. The largest rules sections of the book are the Skills and Talents sections... The Skills section is no more crunchy than WEG 2nd R&E, and most Talents simply break down to adding a Boost or Setback die to the PCs or an NPC depending on the circumstance... it's actually incredibly simple.

It is a big book but over 100 pages is dedicated to Fluff and an Adventure. Plus you add another good 40 pages worth of equipment, vehicles and starships and the book comes in at a reasonable 250-260 pages of rules.

Yancy
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I picked up the latest book on explorers. Given my RL time restrictions and my general lack of free reading time I haven't gotten around to do much more than browse through it. However, it looks like it's really taken to a "fluff over crunch" setup that we've missed in the last 15 years. Some of the equipment also looks like it wouldn't be too terrible to port over either.

So what is explorers? I tried Googling it, but I got stuff about Columbus and vehicles made by Ford. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: