The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Apollo 18, but with mynocks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Apollo 18, but with mynocks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Apollo 18, but with mynocks Reply with quote

I just watched Apollo 18 and for those that haven't seen it I won't spoil it.
The movie gave me an idea: What if the Apollo astronauts had to deal with mynocks? Those guys probably would freak out! Can you imagine Apollo 13 with mynocks?

Anyway, this image had me thinking of an information age society just reaching out into the stars. They haven't heard of the Empire or the Rebel Alliance. As far as they know, they are alone.

Bam! Mynocks! They don't know where they came from or what they want. Space missions go horribly wrong. Ship systems lose power. Astronauts report strange creatures in the vacuum of space. The government covers it up. The media is flooded about extraterrestials. Books, movies, tv shows, everything.
Now, fast forward a few decades. The planet is devastaded by nuclear war. All thats left of this alien culture lie in the ruins. However, the pcs enter to scene to investigate a distress signal being sent from and antiquated space station in a decaying orbit. No air. No gravity. No hope...
The mynocks aren't the only things that lurk in the depths of space...
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great ideas there Lane, but I think you have two different stories there.

The first is an Earth like planet, forgotten by the Republic, with their space program under assault by Mynocks, who's first real Galactic contact is the Players. I'd play up issues with language barrier. Some corrupt officials dying to get their grubby little hands on the Players ship, weapons, and droids. Then strike up some sort of a deal where the players go rescue a primitive space station from mynocks and falling out of orbit.

The second adventure has the players ship, swamped with mynocks, crash land on a planet, laid to waste by nuclear war. The mynocks might even have been responsible for all the destruction. Mynock infested nuclear weapons satellites, as well as their counter measure satellites rained down on a planet that was helpless to stop them. Opposing countries took this acts of aggression and Mutually Assured Destruction protocols went into effect. They could encounter some survivors in deep underground bunkers, or their mutated descendants roaming the wastelands. In any case the players are going to need to deal with them to find something that can be used for patchwork repairs to get off this rock.
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool ideas. I'm glad it sparked some adventures.

I guess I was on a horror trip when I wrote this. I was thinking that incidents with mynocks on the space station would lead into a ghost story. I was thinking using a star weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: