The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

So what is explorers? I tried Googling it, but I got stuff about Columbus and vehicles made by Ford. Laughing

The book's official title I think is Star Wars Edge of the Empire: Enter the Unknown.

Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does there appear to any way to convert this new material to D6, like we were able to do with the D20 stuff ?
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:
Does there appear to any way to convert this new material to D6, like we were able to do with the D20 stuff ?

In the d20 we were able to develop rubrics that we could more or less follow to achieve a consistent result. I don't think that rubrics are as likely, particularly with starships. There are a lot of places where they do not use static values or specific numbers to represent their ideas. You don't have the "Cargo capacity = (X) tons." So, there are places where you'd have to approximate, guesstimate, and try to re-represent rather than mathematical conversion. Looking back on my SAGA notes there are a lot of times we would have to do something similar, fudging a value, or just plain alter it for game balance.

So, sure. You could probably re-represent these ideas in D6. It's not a similar process. But there are already a fair few D6 to FFG crossovers. Just people aren't doing many FFG to D6 yet. And before we go to the conclusion of reverse engineering their processes, it's not as simple as all that. I've looked into it. Smile
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later, it needs to be done.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly respect and admire all the conversion work Cheshire and others have done, but there is another method that works for any game system. Just consider how the item or character is portrayed in the films and/or EU, consider the fluff text, and stat it out yourself.

Even officially published WEG material was often inconsistent and just plain off, so I also sometimes use this process to re-stat WEG stuff to suit my game. (For example, Greedo is NOT an 18D attribute character! He's a mook!) It is clear that there was never any overarching editing process in place for WEG stats, so any single GM tweaking them as he sees fit is better for his own game than viewing any stats as inviolable canon.

In my process I do also include the conversion work this board has done when statting out d20 material, but it just a part of my consideration.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I greatly respect and admire all the conversion work Cheshire and others have done, but there is another method that works for any game system. Just consider how the item or character is portrayed in the films and/or EU, consider the fluff text, and stat it out yourself.

Even officially published WEG material was often inconsistent and just plain off, so I also sometimes use this process to re-stat WEG stuff to suit my game. (For example, Greedo is NOT an 18D attribute character! He's a mook!) It is clear that there was never any overarching editing process in place for WEG stats, so any single GM tweaking them as he sees fit is better for his own game than viewing any stats as inviolable canon.

In my process I do also include the conversion work this board has done when statting out d20 material, but it just a part of my consideration.

What? You mean you don't take my stats word for word? You don't TRUST me? DON'T YOU LOVE ME ANYMORE!?!?

Okay, seriously, I do the same thing. There are some things that I look at and I say, "Hmm... I've changed my mind about this part of the force power," or "I think that this ship would be better for my game if I bumped the stats around like so." There are a few things I've done that I'd say, "Not in my game." And hey, there were some points where Gry and I didn't always see eye to eye, and with all the respect and cooperation there was, it wound up in print one way, and I'd probably do it in my game another.

In terms of "converting" FFG to D6 (which is on my radar, but not front and center at the moment), if I were to do anything, I would be relying greatly on the process you described. I think that reputation and peer review would carry the documents rather than rubrics or mathematical precision.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
And hey, there were some points where Gry and I didn't always see eye to eye, and with all the respect and cooperation there was, it wound up in print one way, and I'd probably do it in my game another.

In terms of "converting" FFG to D6 (which is on my radar, but not front and center at the moment), if I were to do anything, I would be relying greatly on the process you described. I think that reputation and peer review would carry the documents rather than rubrics or mathematical precision.

I'm sure several people here would love to participate in a community process. I may chime in with my 2 credits worth here and there, but in the end it doesn't matter too much because I'll just tweak whatever I don't agree with for my game. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I'm sure several people here would love to participate in a community process. I may chime in with my 2 credits worth here and there, but in the end it doesn't matter too much because I'll just tweak whatever I don't agree with for my game. 8)

Honestly, I think that's the best use of these sort of things. Even if a converted stat only gives someone a baseline to bump the numbers around, then it's still supplied them with something they can use for a game more easily than if they had to make it up from scratch.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Enter the Unknown (explorers sourcebook). At first glance, I like the fact that there is a decent amount of xenoarcheologist stuff, and there's more cool artwork in this book. And I found The Suns of Fortune (sourcebook for the Corellian Sector) for a good price so ordered that - I should have it within a couple weeks.

One thing I haven't seen discussed about the FFG game is the somewhat limited number of allowable character races. Edge of the Empire has 8 including droids (by comparison, WEG SW2E R&E alone has 12 if counting droids as a single PC "species" as FFG does).Here an editor of the Age of Rebellion beta reveals it will also have 8 total PC species, but that Humans, Droids and Bothans will return as playable races, which strongly implies that the other 5 races from the Edge of the Empire core are not playable with the new game which is supposed to be virtually the same ruleset. I'm a GM who doesn't like too many alien PCs and even I think the limited playable species is lame. If he only chose his words poorly and you really can use aliens published in Edge of the Empire products, then there are only 5 races being added by Age of Rebellion which is still lame. And 1 of those 5 is Duros which is 1 of the 3 races already added by the explorer sourcebook. I've read that the Corellian Sector sourcebook (on the way to me) adds Drall, Selonians and Corellian-born humans. It sounds at least like a marketing strategy to sparsely dole out playable species is in effect.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel here. I feel that it's sad, but in the end, we have to understand that FFG is a company, and their goal is to make money.

I don't have to agree with that. From the little I've read of the system(the Beginner Set is a joke, in my opinion), I've learned the following:

-The dice are weird(hokey, anyone?)
-The books are way too expensive
-The system is...odd

Again, I've read little. I'm just combing for "new" information to bring to D6.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the beginning, it seemed like everyone just gushed about how great FFG's SW RPG is. Now dissatisfied players are starting to chime in.

One of my Star Wars players from high school and college goes to my church, and he told me that he played the Beginner box set game with a couple of my other high school and college players. He said it wasn't much more than a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

At D6 Online there is a little chatter from a few guys that don't like the FFG RPG proper. I've also read some reviews from Saga fans that are trashing it (although I am guessing they may not like SWD6 either).

Yeah I'm buying the game, but I haven't seen anything to make me want to consider switching. My primary purpose in having it is the same as it is for d20 books - to pillage anything useful from it for my D6 game, mostly art and fluff.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best use for those items, in my opinion, Whill.

-Daniel
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a lot of talk about the expense of the books. Of course we can say that our books were pretty cheap. After all, they had price tags of $15 for a 94 page B&W soft cover, and only $35 for full-color glossy 270 page R&E. But that was in 1994. Calculate for inflation alone and that $35 rulebook is just under $60.

Breaking down the cost-per-page of similar supplements adjusted for inflation, the comparison on the FFG books isn't that off.

Now there are questions about whether they are keeping costs down as much as they can, given that they've decided to go all out with the hard back books and extensive art. Clearly, yeah, they could whittle things down a bit.

Still, it's hard parting with that $40 for a 96 page splatbook (if you pay cover price). But I think it has more to do with licensing fees, cost of production, and a niche market with a small production run that are more factors than some gamers (who are not a part of this board) are saying, that FFG is just money grubbing and therefore sets a high price.

Some of the narrative dice system is difficult when players are unused to a flexible narrative play, though other groups are really able to run with it. Personally, I found my experience a bit frustrating with the beginner game as the rolls were just SO heavy with failures and threats. More so than was statistically probable, though I recognize that may have just been a bad game session.

Overall, I think it's a neat idea. I've been picking up the books for D6 inspiration, but I think I know what game system I like best.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My primary purpose in having it is the same as it is for d20 books - to pillage anything useful from it for my D6 game, mostly art and fluff.

We need to get together and talk about doing some Rancor Pit "almost semi-official" stats. I've looked at the characters and equipment and it looks more or less impossible to represent these things with translation rubrics like we had for SAGA. I mean, it was REALLY CLEAR that Rodney Thompson and his crew were concerned with consistency as best as possible from WEG to SAGA. Prices were almost ALWAYS the same, availability of equipment was similar, damage wasn't always a 1:1 correlation, but they were in the same ballpark. It isn't so clear with FFG. In some way that's frustrating, but on the other hand it's rather liberating.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
strongly implies that the other 5 races from the Edge of the Empire core are not playable

They are. The only thing that is different is a Obligation-Duty mechanics. Everything else is the same.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: