The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

natural 20. i mean natural 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> natural 20. i mean natural 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: natural 20. i mean natural 6 Reply with quote

There are in a lot of game a special bonus for a maxed out die roll. Double damage in D&D. In SW with a successful melee attack roll with a 6 on the wild I would let the attack bypass any armor the target was wearing. Does anyone have special rules like this.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the campaigns I have run, I rule that when a player rolls a full set of 6's on whatever dice pool being used, the PC automatically gets an immediate +1 pip to that skill.

Not applicable for base Attribute rolls.

Easier to happen for lower-skill uses, much more rare to happen with a larger dice pool.

I should add that we do not use the Wild Die rules. At all.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not providing any bonus for natural 6. Probability is IMO too high (~17%). Also, if you used some special effect for damage, then you should consider similar bonus for soak roll (to keep balance).

In my games players use called shots for extra effects (head-shot, gap in armor etc.). I also provide a damage bonus for good attack roll (+1 for each 5 above difficulty). Accidental lucky hits are handled by Wild Die in damage roll (two 6 in Wild Die in a row has probability about 3%, close to 5% of 20 in d20).
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do not give anything special for a '6' on the Wild Die as making it explosive is already a benefit. I do use the 'Spectacular Success' for rolling 10 over the needed difficulty instead of 15.

I allow the player(s) to decide what special happens that directly involved the skill being used. This can be handled as something cool narratively or as a small bonus.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a 6 on the Wild Die already gives you a bonus:
You can roll another die and add the result to your roll! (and if this is a 6, rinse and repeat!).

So there already is a "natural 6" rule implemented, just a little different then in other games (where the odds for a particular roll are not so high, like Tupteq already showed).

But if you are looking for some Mechanics one could use:
- If at least half of the Dice rolled show a 6, add a bonus (like your "armor ignored". Depends on the kind of roll).
- If the average of your rolls is 5 or more, add a bonus
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you wanted to you could allow a +1 pip for every six rolled in the dice pool. Additionally you could +1 pip for every '6' and -1 pip for every '1', the difference being the bonus or negative modifier to the skill roll.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
I'm not providing any bonus for natural 6. Probability is IMO too high (~17%). Also, if you used some special effect for damage, then you should consider similar bonus for soak roll (to keep balance).

In my games players use called shots for extra effects (head-shot, gap in armor etc.). I also provide a damage bonus for good attack roll (+1 for each 5 above difficulty). Accidental lucky hits are handled by Wild Die in damage roll (two 6 in Wild Die in a row has probability about 3%, close to 5% of 20 in d20).

I'm kind of with Tupteq on this one in terms of the benefits with a 17%probability. I do award some benefits to people rolling +15 or more above the difficulty. But Nothing quite like a "critical hit" as such.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While others have hit the salient point of the wild die 6 already has the exploding rule for 'getting a nat 6', i do like Random's idea of giving a free boost to a skill used if you 'yahzee' and get all 6s... Though if i went that route, i would just halve the CP cost for boosting it, rather than a full on free boost to the skill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: