The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Force attribute?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> A Force attribute? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAybe the problem isn't with the Force sight, but with the Miriluk? If they were blind as a species they might not have had a concept for color, and just percieved things based on thier proximity and shape.

Color, is an entirely visual characteristic, and so probably didn't have any meaning to a blind species. It would be like trying to decribe flavor to someone who lacks a sense of taste,

THe Miraklu might detect variances in the light spectrum bouncing off objects, but don't associate that with color per say, just energy emissions.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Force Sight were strictly a Miraluka trait, I might agree, but since Force Sight is described as a general Force power, of which Miraluka are particularly adept, the implication then becomes that the limitation is in the Force, not a particular species of user.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
If Force Sight were strictly a Miraluka trait, I might agree, but since Force Sight is described as a general Force power, of which Miraluka are particularly adept, the implication then becomes that the limitation is in the Force, not a particular species of user.[/quote

But the description of the power specfically states that:
[quote="Wookieepedia]The Miraluka relied on this power constantly to compensate for their physical blindness. They could not perceive colors but could distinguish organics (even dead) and their alignment from the surrounding environment by their characteristic aura.

So the description implies that the Miraluka couldn't perceive colors-not that it was a limitation of the power.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

So the description implies that the Miraluka couldn't perceive colors-not that it was a limitation of the power.

So, maybe they "see" colors, but they don't understand them in the way similar to other species (as you said, they see energy emissions).

Leon the Lion wrote:
Not being able to read computer screens with the reason defined as not seeing color sounds like an interesting limitation, but it seems a real can of worms if examined logically.

OK, let's think more about this, logically.
If they can see written text (datapads, screens, books) and most of objects are translucent for them, they could be able to do pretty amazing things like reading from datapads not directed toward them or even reading a closed paper book (they don't need the light and objects are translucent to them).
Adding to this xray vision, they are perfect spies (they can read secrets documents in closed briefcase), security agents (they would find any concealed weapon), natural CQB masters etc. Imba Smile[/quote]
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:

So, maybe they "see" colors, but they don't understand them in the way similar to other species (as you said, they see energy emissions).

Something like that. Things like "rud", "blue" and "orange" just don't have any meaning to them. Like how some animals see in a different spectrum than we do, and others are color blind.

Tupteq wrote:

OK, let's think more about this, logically.
If they can see written text (datapads, screens, books) and most of objects are translucent for them, they could be able to do pretty amazing things like reading from datapads not directed toward them or even reading a closed paper book (they don't need the light and objects are translucent to them).
Adding to this xray vision, they are perfect spies (they can read secrets documents in closed briefcase), security agents (they would find any concealed weapon), natural CQB masters etc. Imba Smile

Well, logically, it also follows that proximity probably plays a big factor here. It is probably easier to perceive the text written on a screen right in front of them, than the text of a screen on the opposite side of the room with lots of other stuff that acts as clutter. They can probably get overwhelmed in data and have to work to try and pick out the important stuff from all the background readings.

Since Miraluka are blind, somebody would have to teach them how to read before they could get much use out of this. In game terms, I'd say just how much information they can get out of their readings would depending on how well they do on their PER or Sense rolls.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this discussion is no longer about a Force attribute, perhaps it should be relocated to a new topic.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Since this discussion is no longer about a Force attribute, perhaps it should be relocated to a new topic.

Hold the comlink!
Since we are adding a FCE attribute, we probably should consider how that would factor into the Miraluk's Force Sight ability. It would seem to me that they would use that attribute and that Force Sight would be the power that they get with thier 1D in FCE.

So that makes this on topic.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if that were what we were discussing (as opposed to trying to justify why the Force is color blind), then we would be on topic. But we aren't, so we're not.

Discussion of the specifics of Force Sight, whether it is a Miraluka-only trait or a general Force power that they specialize in, should be outside the scope of this topic, as not everyone will want to include both in their SWU. As such, the specifics of Force Sight should be hammered out in another topic, and done so in a manner general enough that it can be used either under the RAW or under the proposed Force attribute.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved the discussion on Miraluka and Force Sight here, though I do appreciate the efforts to keep it related to the thread at hand, atgxtg. Smile

I don't know if it is possible, but it would be awesome if a Moderator was able to move posts from one topic to the other (though being intertwined as they often are, that could end up being confusing, too).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post moved to consolidate with main Force Attribute post.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:50 am; edited 3 times in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Korun (Mace Windu's Near-Human species) - Per Wookieepedia, Koruns are all naturally Force Sensitive and are all relatively resistant to poisons, Koruns will have a Force min/max of 1D/3D, but they must select Detoxify Poison as their first Attribute power.

In the "you learn something new every day" category, I must admit I had no idea Mace Windu was anything but Human! Shocked
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
In the "you learn something new every day" category, I must admit I had no idea Mace Windu was anything but Human! Shocked

Me neither! I spend way too much time reading Wookieepedia and I never came across that!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I have come across in the EU is the implication that Force Sensitives tend to live longer than average for their species. Should there be a rule to that effect?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. During character creation, the player submits the PC to the GM for review, including a character age. The GM says yes or no. There doesn't need to be a rule for every little thing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
No. During character creation, the player submits the PC to the GM for review, including a character age. The GM says yes or no. There doesn't need to be a rule for every little thing.

Seems fair. Apart from that, do you have any problems with my Cyber Points rules, or the species notes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: