The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ever make your own Adventure Script?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Ever make your own Adventure Script? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Ever make your own Adventure Script? Reply with quote

Anybody ever make your own Adventure Script like they did in some of the WEG modules?

Often they can seem really forced, but I once made one early on in our campaign (I forgot I'd done this, and just stumbled across it), trying to give the proper 'voices' to the various characters.

If anybody wants to better picture the various characters, our website has images of the various PCs.

Chapter 2: The Danger of the Hutts
Adventure Script

Bishop: “Well, THAT was a big waste of time! We came to this sleazy chunk of rock following a rumor that doesn’t even look like it was TRUE!”

Thorim: “Do not be so quick to jump to conclusions, my friend. The Force can work in mysterious ways, and perhaps we were meant to come here for some OTHER reason!”

Zren: “Bah, all I know is that the NEXT time we square off with a bunch of those long-haired punks, they’ll not walk away from it so easily!”

Dargin: “They sure seemed to have some strange way of communicating. Reminds me of what I’ve seen of Twi’leks, where they can communicate without even speaking…”

Tumarae: “I’m sorry my information wasn’t more accurate. That’s really the way it is sometimes. Not every rumor or piece of information is going to be true every single time.”

Grevin: “We can still take advantage of our situation. This planet is known for harboring many fugitives and travelers that are not welcomed throughout the more ‘civilized’ parts of the galaxy. I think we should hit another watering hole and see if we can perhaps meet up with some smugglers or pirates. It may be perilous, but the Rebellion really needs able soldiers to join if we’re to truly fight back against the Imperials. These types may be dangerous, but at least they’re known for not having any kind of love for the Empire…”
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall ever scripting one like this, but I have had games that have started in media res. In those cases I gave sort of an inner monologue introduction from the perspective of one or more of the characters. I guess that's pretty similar, at least.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 11 modules i have wrote have scripts.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this a couple of times, the players loved it. Except for the player who played a Wookie and whose lines went something like this "Wookie player: Make Wookie sound" to which Player 3 would respond something like "Player 3: You think so Tyvooka? Who knew you could get Rubber pants in that size!" (or whatever...)
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally abhor the adventure script and just toss it, even when doing pregens.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
I generally abhor the adventure script and just toss it, even when doing pregens.

Ditto. It was unfailingly the part of every pregen module that I hated the most.

That said, I wrote a short adventure for a Con once, that I made with an intro script. Complete with ultra-cheezy dialogue, and the ending line of, "I have a bad feeling about this..."
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Only a few times did I do a script like that; I found that players usually had enough of their own banter at the beginning of a game to be plenty entertaining!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do it for every adventure, but I've done many. I usually customize the published modules to the particular group of PCs playing the adventure. They always work better when they are written with the specific characters in mind.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: A useful tool... Reply with quote

I have frequently done scripts as they are very useful to get new players into character and start contributing more during the session, even if it is read in a flat tone.

As gaming sessions are less frequent as I get older, it also helps to get back into the mindset of where we left off. It is unique to many of them who have played D&D and they generally seem to enjoy it.

I have had to greatly customize any canned adventure scripts in the past.

-General Veers
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Merrick!
Seghast
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like scripts kill the spirit of what the game is about; you roll a character, come up with his backstory, his personality, make him yours, but the GM makes a script that instructs you what to say and how to act?

None of my various groups over the years has ever used scripts; you say what you think your character would say because in the end, you know your character better than anyone else.

We have had scripted events that were beyond our control or influence and we're forcibly made to do (or not do) a certain thing, and even that bothers me.

When I GM, I like to encourage the players to say and do whatever they feel is appropriate for their characters; if it conflicts with what I had originally planned, I'm not going to say "no, you can't do that" and shut them down. I prefer to improvise and find a new way to reach the original destination.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree, Seghast, and overall that's how I view things, too. And while I've only done a script the one time (in my current campaign; I also did one in a different campaign for the Starfall adventure), note that both of those uses for D6 Star Wars were used as a way to start out the adventure in media res (in the middle of the action). They've not been used to usurp player decision(s), but rather are utilized as a way of dropping the PCs into an ongoing situation and giving them an idea what's going on, rather than the (typical) GM droning on with a description by reading text.

Again, I'm not really arguing for their widespread use, and my own use of them has been extremely rare. But after a bit most GMs get to know the voices of their players (so it isn't hard to capture things they might say). When used in this way, they can be an effective tool to introduce an adventure.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars is cinema, and real films have scripts. The purpose of the SW RPG is to simulate the cinematic reality of the SW films. Adventure scripts are just meant to help get the group in a cinematic mood. The adventure author or GM writing a couple lines of dialogue for each PC at or near the beginning of an adventure is hardly railroading a player group for the entire adventure. If a player can't relinquish control of his PC to someone else for a mere few lines a dialogue to kick off the adventure, IMO they need to get over themselves. GMs should know the PCs well enough to manage speaking for them for a few lines. In my groups, it is not uncommon to even have PCs be taken over by other players or the GM as needed when a player has to be absent for a game night, and that's is far more severe than a couple lines of dialogue in an adventure script.

To me, roleplaying is a group effort to create an entertaining story. To speak further on this idea, I quote myself from an old thread:

Whill wrote:
I like to think of roleplaying in terms of movie or TV series production.

As the GM, I am the Executive Producer, Director, primary Story Writer, Screenplay Co-Writer and Supporting Actor

The Players are the Starring Actors, Co-Producers, Story Co-Writers, Screenplay Co-Writers. I also give a credit of Co-Executive Producer to any player who provides the gaming location or food for the game session. Smile

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Seghast
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Star Wars is cinema, and real films have scripts. The purpose of the SW RPG is to simulate the cinematic reality of the SW films. Adventure scripts are just meant to help get the group in a cinematic mood. The adventure author or GM writing a couple lines of dialogue for each PC at or near the beginning of an adventure is hardly railroading a player group for the entire adventure. If a player can't relinquish control of his PC to someone else for a mere few lines a dialogue to kick off the adventure, IMO they need to get over themselves.
I think there's a problem if the GM can't establish the mood and story setting without hijacking a player's character without consent; that is a failure on his part, not the player.

Now, sometimes to set up an adventure, whoever is GMing for the night will pull a particular player aside and have a private discussion about what's going on and ask for help in getting the ball rolling, but we never give specific instructions on what to say or how to act specifically. "This is what's going on, this is what has happened to you/the ship/mission/whatever since last time, and I need you to help me get things started with the group; your character is the only one who realizes/knows/has a hunch about what's going on and it's all on you as to how you want to proceed; do you tell the others everything outright, do you wait and see, do you tell them just a little, do you lie, etc, etc.

I look at it more as the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books but with a lot more freedom; instead of only being given two options, you have a crapton more based on your character's experience, the setting, the gear you have available...

Improv makes for the best adventures to me because of the random, unpredictable nature. Scripts make things too rigid and unyielding, but wars don't have scripts.

And really, even if they did, would you expect the bad guys to adhere to it? No, they're going to go off the rails and your only options become "adapt" or "die horribly."

You're also trusting that the GM/whoever is in control of your guy understands him well enough to do dialogue and actions that fit in with his established personality. I'm glad you feel you can trust your group that much, but I do not (sometimes I privately wonder if they understand their own characters as they make decisions that are a complete 180 from everything they've ever established up until that point). If they can't even be consistent with their own characters, how can they know how to handle mine?

You want to compare the RPG to movies? The actors in the movies needed scripts because they didn't create the characters; someone else did and they need the script as a guide on how to portray them properly. In the game, everyone makes their own character. Why should you, or anyone else, dictate how my creation thinks, acts, speaks, or feels? You didn't create him or his backstory, but I did.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put things in black and white actual numbers, reading an adventure script at the start of the adventure means (literally, and this is not an exaggeration):

.001% Scripted
.999% PC improvised

Beyond that, if the player actually said "I'm not sure my character would say it like that", I would allow them to change/alter their single line of dialogue as well.

But the reality of it is that this is such a tiny fraction (even 1/10th of 1% might be too high) that no player has ever suggested a single letter of change.

As for players running other characters, that's been extremely rare in our games. It's been my experience that fantasy games are more prone to need this to happen (as in that genre travel can be slow, and somebody who can't make the session might have a PC who is stuck out in the middle of nowhere with the others). I haven't seen this as much with sci-fi or modern setting games, where the characters can come and go much easier.

At most we usually have the GM play them, mostly in the background. Another player has only run somebody else's character with their permission, and even then it's usually only to finish up a battle (when the other person has to leave early).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: