The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor of Vader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Armor of Vader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Armor of Vader Reply with quote

Ok, first thing is first.
I just don't have the Han & CSA sourcebook. What are the rules on molecularly bonded armor and/or materials?

Second, ok so only the glove, the glove of Vader's armor, was molecular bonded. Why just the glove? Why the glove at all? He gave the only onscreen example of absorb/dissipate, and I still don't know of any in the EU (asking for some, please) and saying that the glove was undamaged through what it was made of just ruins it.

Besides, the glove he blocked with, and the glove Luke lopped off, were diffrent gloves if I recall correctly. So now, were BOTH molecular bonded?

Lets call it MolBond armor.

Ok, so, gah, yet another possibility of many upon many contradictions created simply by stating Vader might have at least one piece of MolBond armor on his person.
But if we go with the power as the explaination of how he blocked the blaster bolts from Han, and if we simply allow for a glove to survive an explosion simply because that is reasonable and makes too much sense, we have no contradictions and everything is fine.

But by eliminating the need for any force powers at all in blocking, and not explaining why only one part of the armor is MolBond, we have HUGE problems to deal with. At least as I see it.

Let's all work togethor on this. I like solving little mysteries.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't any rules for MolBond in the Corporate sector book. It basicly explains the superscience behind it and states the rarity of the MolBonded stuff. Beyond that it states that the process uses massive resources and costs a small fortune. The cost was the reason it wasn't stated I would guess. (Since the cost would be so high as to make the PC's getting it unlikely.)

I don't remember the reason they gave, but one was given. I don't think it was a greatest reason, but there was one.

Unless he changed gloves, it was the same hand both times. (The right hand.)

Let's say the glove probably cost at least the cost of a small capitol ship. (Just to give an idea why only a glove might have been made.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so Molbond, so expensive they Molbond just one glove.

Now, why? Was the force really not enough? The only example of absorb/dissipate we have ever been given, and by saying the glove was MolBond you take that away.

It just makes no sense to me.
to finance my 'vette!
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with boomer on this one..

when I watched the movie all those years ago for the first (and second and third... repeating) time, I assumed that the blaster blocking maneuver was just something that all dark jedi could do, like blocking with a lightsaber.

it was really the only indicator of the true power of darth vader aside from the force choke
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, made Vader and the force both seem a lot cooler.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I don't remember the actual reason, but yes the stuff is costly.

About the movie - like I said in the other topic, when WEG first made the RPG Absorb/disapate energy was the only explination ever offered as to why the cloud city blaser thing went down the way it did. Then years latter, Lucas's people authorized an author to introduce Vader's glove being MolBonded. The glove was written as surviving the explosion and being kind of like the holy grail - everyone has heard of it, and would like it, but no one really knows where to look or how to find it. The glove was seen, as a succesionary tool - the person that had it could claim control of the empire. (or something like that I believe.)

My point is really that the glove stuff didn't get created until latter, and only after it was introduced years after the movies did it become the official explination, replacing Absorb/disipate energy.

I honestly hope someone remembers more about it than I do. I just remember the simplistics.
That's improbable?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triclops, ilegitimate son of Palpatine, found it on a planet and it gave him some force strength from the dark side.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saying that little bit brings some of the story back....it's odd how little it takes to cue your memory to remember more.
That's improbable?
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type quoted from HSATCSSB page 114........

Quote:
Molecularly Bonded Armor

Dense metal enhanced molecular bonding is a rare and expensive process that strengthens the bonds of incredibly dense metals. The resulting armor is one of the hardest and most durable substances known in the galaxy.

The process of bonding molecules at the subatomic level is seldom used due to the incredible cost (incurred because of the immense amount of raw material and energy needed to produce the armor). Texture molding tractor fields hold the desired material in place as ion fusers heat it. The metals soften and liquefy; as the mixture cools, it is bombarded with charged particle vibrating waves, increasing the bonding strength while imbuing the armor with incredible resiliency.

This process is performed across the entire surface of the selected object, giving it a cohesive, totally sealed, and nearly indestructible shell in the form of a single, near infinitely complex molecule. The perfect physical armor.

The process is so expensive that molecularly bonded objects are considered works of art: Xim the Despot was rumored to have a molecularly bonded set of battle armor in his hidden treasure vaults. Molecularly bonded materials have found uses in other unusual ways: vaults to store priceless works of art, entrances to hidden fortresses, experimental lab chambers, and now a prison to name a few.

Hope this helps 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: