The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid Traitware
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Droid Traitware Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I allowed it, and the problems did occur. What WILL happen is that the first time he rolls a 1 with it, servos are gonna be stripped and its gonna go down.

Which problems? An unstoppable droid, or did he turn it on the other players?
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unstoppable droid. Carried him through several rounds of massed stormtrooper fire.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I would also tell him no on the 10D STR, that is just plain stupid.

DougRed4 wrote:
I don't think any good GM would tell their player anything they propose is "stupid". That's getting close to bad/wrong/fun, which is pretty rude to tell anyone.

Better to just be honest with them and tell them you feel something is overpowered, if that's what you feel.

Ninjaxenomorph wrote:
So I allowed it, and the problems did occur. What WILL happen is that the first time he rolls a 1 with it, servos are gonna be stripped and its gonna go down.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Which problems? An unstoppable droid, or did he turn it on the other players?

Ninjaxenomorph wrote:
Unstoppable droid. Carried him through several rounds of massed stormtrooper fire.

There ya go. Call it overpowered, munchkin or whatever you want that seems to be politically correct. Bottom line a 10D Strength for anything is game breaking. Again, stupid.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it was a prototype war droid or a rancor, it would make sense. But this is a modified ASP.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10D strength is a lot. Even without rolling a one on the wild dice I would have the droid be far too strong for normal tasks. I'd have it crush things it tries to pick up, including people. After all it is now ten times stronger than the default ASP 7 labour droid. Far beyond it's original programming.

Especially given this information:
Story Factors:
Basic Programming: basic ASP-7 droids are programmed only for the most menial of tasks. They are often out of place in other settings where more specialized droids would be used, such as starship engineering bays, medical suites and battlefields. They can be upgraded with improved programming and more attachments and equipments at an additional cost.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjaxenomorph wrote:

Also, if Imps see it, particularly if it is getting to be an effective combatant, it's time to do some industrial espionage. Pay droid hunters to retrieve it, perhaps even mass produce it. 10D (character scale) damage is thermal detonator territory, after all.

Then there's the Droid Liberation Movement (or whatever their name is), and perhaps some Verpine or other can remote hack it if the ASP has the appropriate ports, or someone with a 'borg implant, or you utilize this with the juryrig rules (more Wild Dice)...

Or, you know, you rejigger the droid to a more reasonable level, tell them you did a mistake, and that you suggest a change to get stuff into alignment again.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good way to show the PC the folly of it, is to have someone steal his idea and make his own 10d str ASP droid, who can seriously harm the other party members.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garhk, yer evil....

and I like it.....
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference, here is our groups house rules on droid modifications:

Traitware: Maximum of 2x The Droid Physical Stats - Counts as Overclocking/Juryrigging. Any 1's rolled during such actions count as mishaps in relation to what was being performed.

Skillware: Treated the same as player skills for rulings - higher number skills get ludicrously expensive.

Physical Traits: Upgradable the same as any hardware. things such as upgrading STR are determined by the metals used in the Droids Frame, and its Servos. Droids are designed so that more often than not their SOAK not their physical strength is the big deal. Armor Plating that comes in many types of compounds and alloys and in our games CAN reduce a droids DEX, same as the player characters, unless molded correctly or the droid has the appropriate STR to carry it without penalty.

Next Post - Nice Big example of how we play out such things.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXAMPLE:

Your Jawa and his Droid in OUR game (this isn't me taking a jab - just how I would have run it.)

(player is only partially aware of our rules in this example)

GM: You want to upgrade his Traits? Okay DEX is gonna be Heroic+ unless your replacing them with better components.
(We allow Modding to 2D in our Game but it requires a modest 45 to accomplish.)

Player: Better Components and then Upgrade by 1D

GM: Alright - Upgraded Servos will also enhance its STR as well if you buy the right ones.

Player: About that...

GM: We'll get there, PER is staying the same? no upgraded sensors?

Player: Nope, just sensor packages for thermal and energy readings.

GM: Alright then, KNO, MECH, AND TECH. Gonna Need a Hardware Module to allow up to 4D - max atm is twice any of his standing Stats so 2D, Could simply Modify but thats's gonna be a tough roll.

Player: Upgrade to 4D expensive?

GM: Not really, New Processors, then upgraded Software.

Player: Software expensive for that?

GM: Its adding up. Looking at *Price*

Player: Still good. Um...... Gonna Crack LPP and Reprogram him a little, that gonna cost me?

GM: You got the tools and skills?

Player: Oh yeah, how difficult though?

GM: Might take a while, VD with keeping it turned ON for you. Personality Chip, ooooooohhhhhh making a thinker.... You gonna let him break LPP AND give him personality that's not only illegal, but borderline mad scientist.

Player: Chip cost? That gonna make him dangerous?

GM: *Cost* Well Security who see droids with personality often check in with the droids owners to investigate if its been tampered with or if its up to code to prevent ROGUE ROBOTS! *ahem* rogue droids.

Player: Gonna program him to only activate that in private.

GM: Alrighty, Commlink is 100, and that's easy integration.

Player: K, you've been avoiding his STR increase huh?

GM: Yeah, okay - hes got +1D because you increased his servos with his DEX. But that ain't the issue. You want this 10D for SOAK or for FULL STR?

Player: ?

GM: Droids add their armor plating to soak just like players do.

Player: but they add their STR to skill rolls AND soak, so I want it to base STR.

GM: *grimace* okay.........

Player: That bad?

GM: Expensive and time consuming. First to get a 10D - your at 2D because of the servos upgrade. You can Upgrade at ANY time but that +2D requires those big rolls we been talking about.

Player: Can I upgrade his frame and servos even more?

GM: yeah, but like I said expensive and may be hard to find specifically for an ASP Droid. They were mostly all made to the same spec. NOW you could tear him down scrape his frame and make a NEW one, but....

Player: Difficult AND Expensive.

GM: Depends - in our games the materials make a difference. There's some STRONG stuff, but it can get ridiculous in both finding it and being able to afford. Servos you can find better or - you COULD take some off another bipedal droid and modify them to fit him but without that reinforced frame - hes gonna fold on the wild die.

Player: SO maximum STR with the servos and upgrading it as is, is 4D?

GM: *nods*

Player: And I might not be able to find the metals to craft a new frame that's stronger.

GM: You have droid eng? also - you jury rigged that shield generator to blow last session - you COULD juryrig his STR for up to +3D.

Player: yeah I got Eng, What would rigging his STR do on a 1 on the wild though?

GM: okay so this won't be that hard to do a frame - you just need materials - then you can redesign a new frame at a higher die code - the difficulty depends on the materials used and the base die code. AND a 1 on the wild... depends on what my wild die rolls. he could simply fail the STR based roll, or he Could strip his servos and be immoble at 0D STR until repaired.

Player: *grimace* Gonna look for stronger materials to make his frame out of.

GM: K you got a few options there *name them* not a lot to work with there to get you to a 10D Code though. Roll Eng see if you know how high you can get.

Player: *Gets absurdly high*

GM: Okay the max frame you can make BEFORE upgrades is 4D, that's *material* Its gonna be REALLY expensive, but will work. There's a drawback though, he's gonna weigh about twice as much - SAME frame size - just twice as dense and much tougher.

Player: K New frame will be 4D ... what now?

GM: Gonna need to upgrade his servos by more than 1D as well and it's gonna more expensive and harder to find ones that will fit his frame.

Player: MAX?

GM: *Evil Grin* Commercially available?

Player: *Gulps* No, lets hit the Black Market.

*some time later and after arbitrary blaster shot out*

Player: WHAT did I just steal, and why did they try to use a TD rather than let the cargo go?!

GM: Military grade war droid servos.... *Was hoping to actually destroy the servos in that fight*

Player: OMG and they will work?

GM: With some rolls to modify... yeah

Player: Die Code?

GM: Top grade. these will add 3D....

Player: And I can still Upgrade his STR after the Frame and Servos are in?

GM: If you keep rolling this ridiculous when you go to use droid engineering - the difficulty is really high cuss you have top grade components as is, but still.

*Some time later*

Player: Servos 3D, Frame 4D, Upgraded +1D. *curses* Ruined that extra set of servos in the case... AND I had to spend 2 CP... AND he's Still only 8D!

GM: Jury rig to over extend his STR by 2D?

Player: That's 2 more wild die every time he rolls....

GM: And 1's will cause Mishaps.

Player: And I still haven't upgraded his Armor to better materials...

GM: *goes pale* *Forgot he could upgrade it as well*

Player: Naw hes REALLY expensive already, I'm good.

GM: you happy with him?

Player: yeah for now.

GM: Alright then.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Garhk, yer evil....

and I like it.....

It's my standard response when someone is trying to powergame an 'uber' battle guy. Ask the party would they like to see someone his or her equal come AT them.

I'd love to see what the cost for all that would be! I would also like to see what the player's have been up to, to get all that, as i figure it would be in the 6 digit range (100k and up).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: