The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Maps and Minis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Maps and Minis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Maps and Minis Reply with quote

I know that there is a bit of a divide in the forum as to whether minis and markers are useful tools, but this is a question for those of you who use minis to represent positions in combat. When you put your minis down, do you use combat mats, maps, dry erase boards, chalk boards, or other means of showing environments and other relevant objects?

I remember one campaign where I wished I would have a had a scale map of the groups ship, and I've sued some Game Mastery tile packs for my D6 Fantasy Game. There are some other maps sold by mapsofmastery.com and I didn't knwo if anyone utilized them?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use a tan vinyl map (with 1" squares on one side and hexes on the other) that my group all went in for years ago. It's easy to draw out buildings, roads, etc. with wet erase pens. Then (as many of you have probably seen) I use counters with face images (or images for things like creatures, droids or vehicles). I get them off CCG cards (that I cut out with a 1" stamp) or printed onto cardstock.

Occasionally I use tiles (like the SW ones WotC made), but that's pretty rare (as the only ones I've got right now are Imperial facilities and some D&D ones with underground dungeons).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex maps, with dry erase markers as needed.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varies.

I've got a truckload (well, at least a couple of briefcases' worth) of SW miniatures, and I've bought some X-Wing minis as well. (Don't know whether the game is worth anything - but at least I've got the minis!) And I've got a few of the Revell Easy Kits too, for stuff I might need mini-scale ships for.

Haven't actually used them much yet - I tend to let the players choose a mini for their character, and then just use the entire table as a surface, with some random boxes and bottles as stand-ins for proper terrain. It's mostly just to get some relative perspective on it at any rate.

I've been pondering whether to go all-in with a top-down projector or something similar, but to be honest - I have the means, I have the skills (I think), but I don't really have the inclination - to be honest, after 25 years I'm not playing much roleplaying games face-to-face any more, and setting up an entire room for an occasional pasttime is probably not a good use of resources.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Dry Erase board placed on the table, with bbq skewer that have range markers inked on them. This lets us free form draw terrain and not worry about range / "What square am I standing in" and just move minis around. When we need to know a distance we pull out the skewer and bingo bango good to go Smile

I dream of setting up a play surface of some kind ( I really like the smart ones that can even measure distance, pop up abilities of characters, everything)

I have a few briefcases full of D&D style mins, with a selection of about 30 droids + various yuuzhan vong, clone troopers and Jedi. Oh yea and about 6 wookies Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played DnD using casttle lego mini figs as markers. This was before SWD6 and way before Star Wars legos. I though it would be fun to us the SW mini figs for game markers, or even a D6 Lego Star Wars the role-playing.
Yubacore
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...I've bought some X-Wing minis as well. (Don't know whether the game is worth anything - but at least I've got the minis!)

OMG YES, yes it is worth playing.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Rancor Pit, Yubacore!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: