The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Problems with star destroyers being ... destroyed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Problems with star destroyers being ... destroyed Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
This is how... http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Millenium_Falcon every player that I've ever had, when handed their own ship or buying or starting off with one, looks at the Millennium Falcon and immediately wants that instead of the base ship and then spends time, credits and whatever they have to to beg, borrow or steal to get something comparable.

True enough, but I've never seen the great attraction to that. It's an iconic hunk of junk, true, but it's just not that good.

If you want a proper starting point for a good Space Transports based pocket cruiser, I'd say go for a HT-2200. An L19 might also be a good starting point. If you want a pocket carrier, you might try a couple of parasite gigs in a YT-2550.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
First off, how were they allowed to get so high a hull-shield combo without the Imperials taking note?

Secondly, SF weapons max out usually around 25 SU, but an ISD alone can hit out to 50 (ion cannons) or 75 (turbolasers) range.. So how were the players in combat with the ties but outside the ISD's range?

Bobmalooga wrote:

This is how... http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Millenium_Falcon every player that I've ever had, when handed their own ship or buying or starting off with one, looks at the Millennium Falcon and immediately wants that instead of the base ship and then spends time, credits and whatever they have to to beg, borrow or steal to get something comparable.

Zarn wrote:

True enough, but I've never seen the great attraction to that. It's an iconic hunk of junk, true, but it's just not that good.

If you want a proper starting point for a good Space Transports based pocket cruiser, I'd say go for a HT-2200. An L19 might also be a good starting point. If you want a pocket carrier, you might try a couple of parasite gigs in a YT-2550.

Zarn wins the cake!

Their Ship is a GM Creation - Basically a larger and originally slower GX1 Short Hauler
Called a GX7 Heavy Hauler - It was based on the same style of design as the Short Hauler but larger - and based on the stats of the L19 - BUT started in the campaign with most of is plates missing and only a 1d shield generator - It WAS a flying death trap - but then they fixed it up thanks the bounty hunters investigation and streetwise rolls leading to some gnarly good pay outs for both bounties and cargo runs.

Then they improved as well - they bought a new 3d generator - and improved the ships hull 1D.

Shield generators have no restrictions and improving the ship they did in secret on a backwater world after finding an old mandalorian Kom'rk that crashed.

Empire knows now though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
garhkal wrote:
First off, how were they allowed to get so high a hull-shield combo without the Imperials taking note?

That is true they do try to get it up that high. BUT who is performing the upgrades? How are they getting so great a ship through customs? Things like that need to get addressed.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a group express a desire to upgrade the ship with all sorts of non-standard equipment. But then when I tell them that it increases the chance of rolling a systems complication, they shy away from the idea.
Darth Torquemadus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new here but I'll gladly give you my two cents :

As someone said : Gm isn't just a screen monkey but the ultimate judge.

So yours player got a good freighter and so on... look on the film (episode IV) do Han solo shoot away star destroyer with the badass Falcon ? No ! He not even think about it...

Why : the Falcon is a good ship ... a very good one but he didn't stand a chance versus a damned armored floating city with so many turbo-lasers, proton torpedoes, tractor beams, 72 tie fighters....etc.

Ok yours players got a Ion gun and are very talented : Once they pass turbolasers, tie, tractorbeams, hull, shield, they could affect... one local system ("you hit the right front rear : you see some light deemed or closed and a few turbo lasers seem ionised... ok ! 5 ties are shooting at your back they seem very upset. What do you do ?")

Ok It's seem harsh but remember like in real life It's the difference between a classical merchant boat with some big automatics guns on the deck and a little iron screw on it versus a full military cuirassier with canon, torpedoes, troops...etc.

(poste edited to correct faulty words : typewriting from an mobile phone isn't so easy)

Last edited by Darth Torquemadus on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, Darth Torquemadus! Smile
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Welcome Darth Torquemadus! I agree with you. Traditionally, Star Destroyers are back drop threat pieces. Just recently I saw a short episode of Star War Rebels. Classic situation: Rebel freighter flees from Star Destroyer as four TIE fighters give chase. As the combat goes on the Star Destroyer isn't even shown. Isn't it just as fast or faster than a freighter? Couldn't it's guns get a fireing salution? I can only assume that the captain of a Star Destroyer shouldn't push his engines or waste shots when he's got TIEs at his disposal.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the solution should be to split a cap ship such as an ISD up into 'areas' and if a SF Scale ship gets a controls ionized result that only affects that area, rather than the whole ship?
Darth Torquemadus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

With its own scale firepower, a fighter (or any upscale tramp freighter) could only target a small part of a capital ship.

Same thing for a Ion gun : Fired from a fighter or a tramp freighter you could only affect a specific part (a particular turbo laser turret or some proton torpedo launcher or a specific set of antenna...etc.) but you can't affect the whole Star Destroyer with such a tiny firepower (In Episode V it took an orbital Ion canon (Capital ship scale) to take down this kind of floating fortress).
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this and at first my reaction was similar to everyone else's, but only for envisioning the massive scale difference. However I thought more and discussed it with one of my players and a valid point was discovered. What if the tiny portion that was Ionized was, say, the reactor core or some other one-in-a-million shot? Everyone have been saying one subsystem or other small part, correct? In this case it would be a critical power system which would be represented by the ION damage getting through such defenses, it hit a critical sub system.

Thoughts?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that, Methedor, is that the Imps don't have their reactors (or any other vitally critical systems) close to the edge (any edge) of the ship; it's buried deep in the interior. See any of the maps of a Star Destroyer (there's a thread here where they're accurately detailing the interior of one, or you can see what a Victory-class is like in the adventure "Starfall").

My buddy who runs SAGA said that in that game, a smaller ship could hit the Star Destroyer, and ion weapons ignore shields, but then you cut the damage in half (I believe) and then the scale difference is that the Star Destroyer just has mountains of Hit Points, which means it would take a gazillion shots from a smaller ship to affect it.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other issue with the one-in-a-million shot in the aforementioned engagement is that it happened every round. Now, as a GM, I could see myself possibly allowing such as a sort of hail mary to save the party's collective bacon (mmm...bacon). But it would be something that wouldn't be able to be exploited all the time.

Without attacking the op...the super ship and crew was something that was allowed to happen. The solution there is to scare the PCs and make ISDs scary again...either nerf the ship, add more ISDs and actions to throw those maps on, or an elite crew ship with better training that gets a vendetta against the PCs. That or go with a hunter squad in their own super freighter.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just as an aside, how long (from a home rule standpoint) do you make the players wait from the time they leave planet to the 'safe jump point' while being chased by TIE-fighters and Star Destroyers??
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
So, just as an aside, how long (from a home rule standpoint) do you make the players wait from the time they leave planet to the 'safe jump point' while being chased by TIE-fighters and Star Destroyers??

That's a good point. I cant remember which book it was in, but i do remember some sort of chart showing distance and times to get to 'safe jump points' based on the planet size/type..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW (2R&E) says "Calculating a route takes one minute if the character is using a well-travelled route or is using precalculated coordinates." so at a minimum it should usually be at least 12 rounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: