The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

REUP compatible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> REUP compatible?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: REUP compatible? Reply with quote

I've seen a few people make posts here and on the G+ community suggesting that they make tweaks to stat books or adventures to make them "REUP compatible." I've looked through the REUP, and I haven't seen any major changes, other than optional rules such as advantages and disadvantages at character creation, and some page number changes.

Am I missing something? Granted, I've not gone through the REUP in great detail, though I have CTRL+F searched it, printed off the adventure, etc.

What does it take to make stats and adventures REUP compatible?
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this too. I have no idea what that means. If it is 2R&E compatible it is REUP compatible. This goes back to the semantics arguments over what to call the document. 3rd edition, re-revised.

The "second printing" if you will (we are calling it mark II) drops the whole 2nd ed bit, and has the title Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Revised, Expanded, Updated.

It should be called 2nd ed Revised and Expanded with a bunch more splat book stuff, gamemaster handbook, gry's statbook stuff, and pretty colors with ffg and ccg art, wrapped into a pdf.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I'm the primary one that's been using the term, so my apologies.

You're right that there are no major gameplay changes, in fact the changes are mostly clerical. The intention was for any supplements I was making to support the current version of the game, so to keep the fan community updated and consistent where possible. Things like logos - making sure the new book uses the updated Star Wars logo (the new orange one from Rebels). Also double checking that Force powers, alien stats, and mechanics reprinted matched the new verbiage, if anything was updated, and being sure that page numbers to the core Rulebook reflect REUP, not 2ERE.

In this way we avoid the problem of someone printing up the new books, but founding page number mismatches or slight verbiage disagreements. We're so close to a new, consistent D6 environment, I'd hate to let little errors slip in.

Besides, I'm a professional content creator and publisher by day; this is what I do. Smile
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to apologize. I am honored that you consider REUP compatible a thing. At times it really felt foolish to do a remake of the rules... a few people actually told us it was a waste of time. So having someone consider REUP worthy of consideration is awesome.

At times I still kick myself for not rewriting the book into a true new edition. Mostly I am glad we didnt, I am not sure if people would so readly accept our version of the rules. Any time someone tries something new, the synical urber-fanboys pop out of the woodwork, determined to make sure every one knows that the new ideas our worthless.

Perhaps that is a bit of a synical outlook, but often it is true. If the term REUP compatible ever becomes a "thing", I would be overjoyed. But I dont feel its my place to try to sell the concept. The players and GMs will decide if the book is "edition worthy".

I am simply glad I got to edit some awesome material. Hopefully we didnt screw it up.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:

You're right that there are no major gameplay changes, in fact the changes are mostly clerical. The intention was for any supplements I was making to support the current version of the game, so to keep the fan community updated and consistent where possible. Things like logos - making sure the new book uses the updated Star Wars logo (the new orange one from Rebels). Also double checking that Force powers, alien stats, and mechanics reprinted matched the new verbiage, if anything was updated, and being sure that page numbers to the core Rulebook reflect REUP, not 2ERE.

That totally makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

klhaviation wrote:

At times I still kick myself for not rewriting the book into a true new edition. Mostly I am glad we didnt, I am not sure if people would so readly accept our version of the rules. Any time someone tries something new, the synical urber-fanboys pop out of the woodwork, determined to make sure every one knows that the new ideas our worthless.

Perhaps that is a bit of a synical outlook, but often it is true. If the term REUP compatible ever becomes a "thing", I would be overjoyed. But I dont feel its my place to try to sell the concept. The players and GMs will decide if the book is "edition worthy".

Really, it's totally not cynical. It's pretty well grounded in experience. There have been several attempts to make a "true 3rd edition" that I think we're on the sixth or seventh now. Most of them are lost to the internet because nobody really picks it up since it's just a GM's personal collection of house rules. The closest things to "true" 3rd editions have either been Metabarons or D6 Space. Even those didn't catch on quite so well.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day I will learn how to spell cyniical, or synicle, or cinical, or oh.. forget it
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The closest things to "true" 3rd editions have either been Metabarons or D6 Space.

I disagree on Metabarons. The game system runs almost exactly like R&E. It's not much more than 'strip R&E clear of Star Wars IP and inject Metabarons'. Overall, Metabarons might even be closer to R&E that REUP is. Game systemwise, D6 Space probably is the closest thing to a 3rd edition, and is at least the "truest" in the sense of being published by WEG.

cheshire wrote:
klhaviation wrote:

Perhaps that is a bit of a synical outlook, but often it is true.

Really, it's totally not cynical. It's pretty well grounded in experience.

It's a sadly well-grounded experience. All SWD6 GMs should be able to make and share their own third editions without all the nerd rage and harsh criticisms. Anything out there is take or leave it. If someone else's house version doesn't work for you, then don't use it. If it gives you ideas or inspiration for your own game, then great.

cheshire wrote:
There have been several attempts to make a "true 3rd edition" that I think we're on the sixth or seventh now. Most of them are lost to the internet because nobody really picks it up since it's just a GM's personal collection of house rules.

And I think the edition number reference is really the worst part about any of them. If they presented it as a "true 3rd edition" then that was a misrepresentation because there is no official 3rd edition unless it is published by WEG, which isn't going to happen. But even without the "true" or "official", calling it "3rd" edition alone still gives it that connotation and that still doesn't settle well with others.

I am making my own edition of the SWD6 game and it will definitely be more than just an revised update to R&E. Game systemwise, it will constitute another edition per se, but it will be a third (or fourth) edition, not the third edition. If I end up sharing it on the internet, then I will not even refer to it as a third (or fourth) edition. It will be Whill's Edition. And everyone can take it or leave it or pillage it for whatever they find useful and disregard the rest, like everything should be.

klhaviation wrote:
The "second printing" if you will (we are calling it mark II) drops the whole 2nd ed bit, and has the title Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Revised, Expanded, Updated.

That'll work. I will very likely print and bind that version to put on my bookshelf with my WEG SW books.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I am making my own edition of the SWD6 game and it will definitely be more than just an revised update to R&E. Game systemwise, it will constitute another edition per se, but it will be a third (or fourth) edition, not the third edition. If I end up sharing it on the internet, then I will not even refer to it as a third (or fourth) edition. It will be Whill's Edition. And everyone can take it or leave it or pillage it for whatever they find useful and disregard the rest, like everything should be.

My recommendation would be to call it "The Journal of the Whills". Wink
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Whill wrote:

My recommendation would be to call it "The Journal of the Whills". Wink

That was actually my intention. I was fearful of the idea getting out there and then someone else using it before I do. Perhaps that was a silly thing to worry about.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one major difficulty with any new edition catching on is that, since most authors have no "authority", any significant changes are going to run into a lot of resistance. Most RPGs have either a parent company (i.e WEG) or lead creator who control the progress and updating of the game system.

I doubt things like specializations, scale, the Wild Die, or spending Cps to augment die rolls would have caught on if WEG hadn't been behind them.

With the D6 system, D6 Star Wars in particular being in a sort og RPG Limbo, it's hard for any sort of update to catch on. I think the best we can do is to come up with something that can be approved of an backed by a website such as...oh...say...Rancorpit. That way the rules become more than one person's idea.

Personally, I'm fond of the REUP. It probably is a bit too conservative, and doesn't change or fix enough things, IMO, but that helps to make it palatable. If we support it and it really catches on, it could open the door for the sort of incremental changes that "living" RPGs have. Maybe someday we could have some sort of committee that oversees and votes on any proposed rule changes?
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I think one major difficulty with any new edition catching on is that, since most authors have no "authority", any significant changes are going to run into a lot of resistance. Most RPGs have either a parent company (i.e WEG) or lead creator who control the progress and updating of the game system.

I doubt things like specializations, scale, the Wild Die, or spending Cps to augment die rolls would have caught on if WEG hadn't been behind them.

With the D6 system, D6 Star Wars in particular being in a sort og RPG Limbo, it's hard for any sort of update to catch on. I think the best we can do is to come up with something that can be approved of an backed by a website such as...oh...say...Rancorpit. That way the rules become more than one person's idea.

Personally, I'm fond of the REUP. It probably is a bit too conservative, and doesn't change or fix enough things, IMO, but that helps to make it palatable. If we support it and it really catches on, it could open the door for the sort of incremental changes that "living" RPGs have. Maybe someday we could have some sort of committee that oversees and votes on any proposed rule changes?

Well said...

Let me state that the REUP team has no plans to update the D6 ruleset, that is not to say, however, that we think they are perfect or the best we as a community or team can do.

As you stated there would have to first be general acceptance of REUP as a standard, which I think has not yet happened. Even if it did, it is not as though the editors of REUP are the designers, authors, or publishers of the game. Any "expertise" implied by peoples acceptance of REUP as a standard, would be false.

I think a more likely scenario is that (hopefully) REUP will garner enough interest in D6 that a 3rd ed would be welcome by the newer players. In many ways a lot of us here in this community are very "ingrown". We are the old guard and set in our ways. We likely will not accept many changes (unless they are our own) with out the most microscopic scrutiny. That is not meant to be an insult, in some ways it is the highest of compliments. But the infusion of new players may be more accepting of a team like REUP, or whoever, to establish a 3rd edition.

Of course the ever growing "cast" of the REUP team is intrigued at the possibility of designing a true 3rd edition. I do certainly believe we have the talent and skill, but if we ever attempted that great and most holy feat, it would be with great humility, and hopefully a lot of support from this and other D6 communities. At this time, I think we, as a team and as a community, are a long way from a true 3rd.

Please prove me wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: