The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Padawans and their Crystals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Padawans and their Crystals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Padawans and their Crystals Reply with quote

I am just starting a new campaign of Jedi Padawans, and the topic of building one's own lightsaber will be coming up soon. And I have a whole stack of questions about lightsaber crystals, the various places where they may come from, and what game systems are in place to incorporate their discovery, refinement and final construction in a saber by a player-character.

According to Wookieepedia, Ilum is a well known source of lightsaber crystals (for instance). So well known that Masters will even take their padawans there for the specific purpose of letting them build their own lightsaber. There is even a Jedi Temple built at the mouth of the Crystal Caves.

So it seems like the sources of lightsaber crystals are no secret inside the Jedi order. The Masters seem to make it easy for the padawans to go to where these things are commonly found. A veritable Walmart of lightsaber parts if you will.

What are the actual challenges that may be faced by a PC or party of PC padawans when searching these things out? Has anyone actually run a similar adventure or series of PCs doing these pilgrimages? Given that the graduation from a training-lightsaber to a personal-lightsaber is one of those padawan milestones that must be passed before he can graduate to Knight status, are there any actual in-game adventures that may be had to "win" this goal?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost. Lightsaber crystals are expensive. Most of them are manufactured. I, Jedi covers how Corran Horn made his own lightsaber. There is a source book, I want to say the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'm not sure, that covers how Luke built his lightsaber with constructed gems after losing his dark father's blade along with his hand in ESB. All of this was pre-KOTOR and therefore written before Ilum was created.

There are numerous guides to lightsaber construction on the net and probably some here in the tools section, but I don't have time to research for you.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadora
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Cost. Lightsaber crystals are expensive. Most of them are manufactured. I, Jedi covers how Corran Horn made his own lightsaber. There is a source book, I want to say the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'm not sure, that covers how Luke built his lightsaber with constructed gems after losing his dark father's blade along with his hand in ESB. All of this was pre-KOTOR and therefore written before Ilum was created.

There are numerous guides to lightsaber construction on the net and probably some here in the tools section, but I don't have time to research for you.

Given that Luke built the lightsaber in Shadows of the Empire, I'd bet on it being in the Shadows of the Empire sourcebook.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rebels version was lame. Character went from "I dont know if I can be trained as a Jedi at all" to completing the lightsaber in one episode. Forget about learning enough to actuly imbue the crysral and learning how to use a lightsaber or even maintain one...

The significance of the construction was totally wasted, IMHO.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Ezra got his lightsaber WAAAY too fast, but what I liked in the episode was how he had to face his fear. It would have been cooler if it would have taken longer, but it's a kid's show.

If I were running this in game, I'd use either Rebels or TCW for inspiration in gaining the crystal and how Corran Horn constructed his saber in I, Jedi for the actual lightsaber.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

I have numerous guides on how-to construction, so that part is fine. My question was, has anyone run a game where the obtaining of the crystals had been part of an adventure, and not just "purchased" at the local jewelry store for book value. How can you actually present a roleplaying or adventuring challenge for a PC (or group of) where the crystals are the final prize?
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the adventures I did was use the Game chambers of Questal as a basis for an adventure.

My campaign was set in the Old Republic era and the characters were sent to prevent the sale of a weapon that might tip the scales in the war against the Mandalorians.

To make a long story short after a couple of adventures the characters get captured and go through the game chambers which are a testing ground for the weapon. In the adventure the weapon is called the hurlothrumbic generator and it produces fear in waves that can effect large groups of people. I slightly modified this to be powered by a crystal but not any crystal but a semi-sentient one that feed off fear that was being amplified by the generator.

One of my character was a Jedi Shadow who was struggling with the dark side but tasked to destroy all dark side objects.

Another character was a cyborg to the extreme ala General Grievous who had a tiny bomb in his head due to that his cyborging had been paid for by a gangster who put it in there as insurance. The Gangster had heard about this weapon and wanted it for his own. Threatening the cyborg with death if he didn't secure the weapon.

The third character was a jedi who was looking for a crystal for her lightsaber.

It made for a very interesting session to say the least! Not sure if this helped at all but could probably be modified to to suit your needs.

It sets up an interesting dilemma do you destroy the crystal that seems evil, set it free since it is only a creature doing what is in its nature or use it for your lightsaber regardless of the consequences.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always make it a surprise quest reward from an npc. Gems aren't impossibly rare. Or find a cache of crystals from a lost sith enclave. Or go the the temple on Coruscant and search the catacombs. Or go to Sarka and pick one up off the ground.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random_Axe wrote:

I have numerous guides on how-to construction, so that part is fine. My question was, has anyone run a game where the obtaining of the crystals had been part of an adventure, and not just "purchased" at the local jewelry store for book value. How can you actually present a roleplaying or adventuring challenge for a PC (or group of) where the crystals are the final prize?

Heh. Yeeeah. It went so badly. The player had just been immersed in KotOR where there is a lightsaber crystal under every doormat in the galaxy, and he knew he would be building his sometime soon. EVERYWHERE he went, he said, "Can I search for a lightsaber crystal?" And I'm like... "Sure. You're in pirate encampment during the Rebellion Era." Or, no, Keegan, you're in an office building, they're not going to have a lightsaber crystal.

Until one time he just rolls, and says, "I'm searching for a lightsaber crystal." He rolls a 23 with a 1 on the Wild Die. And I tell him. "Yes. You found one." he says, "Really!?!?" And I said, "Well... your character firmly believes that the crystal he found is a lightsaber crystal."

It got around to assembling the lightsaber a few months later after he gathered all the other components. He puts it all together... and rolls a 1 on the Wild Die AGAIN. And I tell him, "I'm doing this on a sliding difficulty scale. This might go wrong, or it might go very very wrong. Just roll another Wild Die and we'll see how badly this goes on a scale of 'just not working' to exploding in your hand."

He rolled a 1.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire, that was awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: