The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Borg Construct Force wielders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Borg Construct Force wielders Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodrim wrote:
There's certainly an interesting implication there for borg constructs, since a borg construct Force user may not, for example, hesitate to call an artillery strike on a building occupied by enemies and non-combatants, which would almost certainly be an action to earn a Dark Side point. I don't deny the ability to gain Dark Side points here, at least out of actions which are emotion-neutral or driven by cold logic (which is where I think a borg construct Dark Jedi would be immensely interesting); it's just the emotion aspect which strikes me as problematic.

That occurred to me, too. A total suppression of emotion would also suppress positive emotions, like compassion, and lead to the character in question potentially committing evil acts out of callousness instead of anger or fear.

In the end, there is something to be said for the positive and negative effects of emotion suppression vs. the Dark Side might cancel each other out.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it would almost certainly make the character in question beyond redemption as well, since the key factors there are remorse and selflessness.

On second thought, I might kibosh this idea for PC's and make my current campaign's big bad a borg construct Dark Jedi. I like this idea too much to pass up for an antagonist, and I'm well past this idea as "easy to adjudicate for a PC". I've been needing a Big Bad anyhow, since the Inquisitor who's been a constant thorn in the PC's sides was only intended as a medium-term antagonist, and not a terribly interesting or thought-provoking one at that. It would definitely be a good switch-up from my scenery-chewing, "love to hate" lighter-in-tone-RPG villains.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as a 'borg Dark Jedi, there is certainly precedent for it, as the TOTJ Companion lists Mechanical as a Sith Discipline. Presumably, there is a wide-open unexplored range of possibilities for creating cyborgs or inventing powers that allow a Sith to control or manipulate technology.

Also, have you ever seen Equilibrium, with Christian Bale? It deals pretty heavily with forced suppression of emotion, and it keeps coming back around as we are discussing this. Plus, it has some pretty bad-@$$ fight scenes. The Gun Kata / Gun Fu scenes make a good starting point for what a Jedi could potentially do with a pistol, too...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
As far as a 'borg Dark Jedi, there is certainly precedent for it, as the TOTJ Companion lists Mechanical as a Sith Discipline. Presumably, there is a wide-open unexplored range of possibilities for creating cyborgs or inventing powers that allow a Sith to control or manipulate technology.

Also, have you ever seen Equilibrium, with Christian Bale? It deals pretty heavily with forced suppression of emotion, and it keeps coming back around as we are discussing this. Plus, it has some pretty bad-@$$ fight scenes. The Gun Kata / Gun Fu scenes make a good starting point for what a Jedi could potentially do with a pistol, too...

Or at least a Grey Paladin, since they don't have the attachment to lightsabers that the Jedi do...
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Indeed, Sith and cyborging themselves seems to be a recurring theme with any Old Republic-era material (though, moreso with newer material). It makes an awful lot of sense given the short-term gain nature of the Dark Side, and the corruption of the body.

Quote:

It's a grossly underrated film that just came out at a bad time and got panned for capitalizing on Matrix hype. I enjoyed it, though I found the anti-authoritarianism of the film rather heavy-handed (which was true of the comic as well, I suppose). My players already got the idea they can shoot at the Jedi PC's to have their blaster bolts deflected towards enemies and ignore cover bonuses, which I suppose is more "Wanted" than "Equilibrium", but definitely in the "campy, over-the-top action" category.

Though, given what a borg construct Dark Jedi would be capable of, I doubt I'd build this character as a combat (even lightsaber)-oriented one. Using their borg construct's wireless and Force capability as a conduit for directing and coordinating battle droids and Dark Troopers (which the phase zero variant will be making an appearance in my campaign), on the other hand...I already decided whatever Big Bad I'd write up would have Battle Meditation, so that fits well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: